Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hope someone has some advice for me.

I have a 1992 FSB, 5.8L. The oil pressure gauge has been pegged all the way to the left for some time. I noticed it when I shut the engine off one day.
As soon as I turned the key to "off", the needle flew to the left and has stayed there ever since.
The oil pressure is fine, I had it checked just to make sure it wasn't a pump problem.

Does anyone know what could be the problem with the gauge?

Thanks for any ideas.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Could be the sender or the harness or the wiring or the gauge. You could try and test it but the stock "gauges" in our Broncos IMO, arent worth the time and effort. What I would recommend is that you go get yourself an actual oil pressure gauge and eliminate the one you have. Mount the gauge somewhere in the truck and BAM, you have an accurate, reliable gauge... do a search for gauges, there is at least one really good thread with mounting ideas etc...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Have you done any front end work to the motor? I lost a motor becouse of the oil pressure ware pinched between the waterpump and the front cover. Gave a falce reading, and I did not know I dropped pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you about a new gauge. I'm trying to find somewhere to look for functional gauge replacement clusters that look decent. Not like the bottom of the dash mount style. Something that conceals the hoses and wires.
Do you know of any web sites to look to for this?

Thanks again for your help.

Joe

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Here's a pic of my temporary cheezy Stewart Warner that I quickly tee'd into the block while I was replacing the piston last month. It's a mechanical one and only took about an hour between concept, hardware store trip and install. This one is nice to have under the hood when you're screwing around on certain projects but I plan on running 4 new different gauges up to the dash real soon.

(moving 50 lbs of oil at 1100 rpm in this pic. After the piston replacement. So far it looks like I won this fight...........:smokin:

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you about a new gauge. I'm trying to find somewhere to look for functional gauge replacement clusters that look decent. Not like the bottom of the dash mount style. Something that conceals the hoses and wires.
Do you know of any web sites to look to for this?

Thanks again for your help.

Joe
Hi Joe. Try this link... search around on Summits site from this link (this is the intro page to the gauge pods). They carry pods that will mount to your door pillar that look decent. Again, search this site for gauges (try ultimate gauge thread, I think its named) and you will see plenty of options. You are going to have to do a little searching sometimes to survive on FSB...

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...Ntt=gauge+pod&searchinresults=false&N=700+115

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
No one has asked this question. Is your RED engine light on? Not the yellow CEL but the red light. Make sure it works as it comes on when you turn the key and goes off when you start. If it is working correctly and is not on when the engine is running then the gauge is bad/stuck. This happened to me. I smacked the hell out of the top of the dash the first time it happened and the needle swung around and it started working again. Then when putting EL gauge faces on I took the needle off of the oil gauge and found that it had been slipping a bit where it pushes on to the gauge motor so I just made sure it was installed back tighter and haven't had any more problems out of it...

If your RED engine light is on all of the time and you say you had the pressure mechanically checked then its the sender. Drivers side of the block above and behind the oil filter if memory serves...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Shane !

Hi Joe. Try this link... search around on Summits site from this link (this is the intro page to the gauge pods). They carry pods that will mount to your door pillar that look decent. Again, search this site for gauges (try ultimate gauge thread, I think its named) and you will see plenty of options. You are going to have to do a little searching sometimes to survive on FSB...

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...Ntt=gauge+pod&searchinresults=false&N=700+115
Shane, Thanks for the response. I will check out the links you posted.

Thanks for the reply!

Joe :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tip. :)

No one has asked this question. Is your RED engine light on? Not the yellow CEL but the red light. Make sure it works as it comes on when you turn the key and goes off when you start. If it is working correctly and is not on when the engine is running then the gauge is bad/stuck. This happened to me. I smacked the hell out of the top of the dash the first time it happened and the needle swung around and it started working again. Then when putting EL gauge faces on I took the needle off of the oil gauge and found that it had been slipping a bit where it pushes on to the gauge motor so I just made sure it was installed back tighter and haven't had any more problems out of it...

If your RED engine light is on all of the time and you say you had the pressure mechanically checked then its the sender. Drivers side of the block above and behind the oil filter if memory serves...
I have not seen the RED engine light, only the AMBER "Check Engine" light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for your help. I'll check it out.

Joe

·
User that is Registered
998 Posts

His truck is a different body style than yours, it doesn't have a red engine light, or at least mine never did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.