Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L V8
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have replaced the Door striker bolt (I think that's what its called). My door doesn't like to shut all the way like in the pictures, its done it before and after I replaced the striker. The door likes to pop open or push itself outward if I don't slam it stuck to the new striker. it will only stay shut all the way if I slam it hard enough of push it harder but when I do that till only stay until the slightest force hits it and pops it back open but it still stays connected.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fixture Automotive design
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
1989 XLT 5.0 - Auto Trans, Manual Hubs
175 Posts
Sounds like the striker needs to be moved out and up or down a bit. They are adjustable to an extent. I just replaced the door weather stripping on mine and I have to shut it fairly hard to close it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep you can see where it doesn’t match up with the paint (assuming it was correct placement previously)

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,358 Posts
It appears you have had a new paint job in the near past! Was the Door striker bolt ever adjusted right since the paint job? As in has the door ever closed right since the paint job? As stated above try adjusting it, it looks like it is too far down as there are no marks on the plastic bushing on the top, it might be making contact just from below.

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L V8
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears you have had a new paint job in the near past! Was the Door striker bolt ever adjusted right since the paint job? As in has the door ever closed right since the paint job? As stated above try adjusting it, it looks like it is too far down as there are no marks on the plastic bushing on the top, it might be making contact just from below.
I’ll give it a shot with adjusting the striker, I thought I had moved it in the right place before I took the picture but maybe the shitting of the door moved it, maybe it not sure.

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L V8
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
show us some pics of your door gaps all around....
I'll put some more pictures tomorrow, its night out now. it seems to shut and old fine if I just put some force behind it. Then I need to apply some extra force to get the door back open when getting out of the truck like its stuck to the rubber on the striker.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I found many of the replacement strikers are a little oversized. I had to sand them down to get the latching to work right.

Reactions: Siggy89

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L V8
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found many of the replacement strikers are a little oversized. I had to sand them down to get the latching to work right.
You know that makes sense, it looks a tad bigger on the rubber part

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L V8
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try putting some blue painters tape on the striker & close it a few time, then look for witness marks on the tape to see where it hits, then adjust it accordingly
I’ll give It a shot

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L V8
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just match it up with the black outline and you will be fine.
So I took it back off and put it back on again trying to align it better and it seems to be doing the same, maybe it just needs to be broke it because it’s becoming easier and it’s shutting.

·
Registered
955 Posts
So I took it back off and put it back on again trying to align it better and it seems to be doing the same, maybe it just needs to be broke it because it’s becoming easier and it’s shutting.
Do you have the plastic sleeve from the old door? If so try swapping that out and post what happens.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Which kit did you install? Take a look at this thread below..

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L V8
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which kit did you install? Take a look at this thread below..
I just got the one they had at the auto part store just looked like the one I had so I bought that one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts