Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L V8
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've removed my front bumper to replace it with a black one. Its the same bumper as the original but I cant find anywhere what bolts I need to install the bumper. I have both brackets as well. I do not have any of the original bolts because I wanted to get new ones. so what all will i need to install the bumper?

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,603 Posts
The bolts are not regular hardware store stuff. Each mount gets two bolts that are on a shared backing plate, so you don't have to try getting a wrench back there to keep them from spinning when you turn the nut at the accessible end.

If you don't have your originals, any '92-96/97 truck in the junkyard will have compatible ones. There may be somewhere to buy 'em new, as well.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The bolts are not regular hardware store stuff. Each mount gets two bolts that are on a shared backing plate, so you don't have to try getting a wrench back there to keep them from spinning when you turn the nut at the accessible end.

If you don't have your originals, any '92-96/97 truck in the junkyard will have compatible ones. There may be somewhere to buy 'em new, as well.
Not absolutely true @fodder the bolts needed to bolt the bumper to the brackets are called “carriage bolts” they are sold in the auto parts store in kits called “bumper bolts” in the self help isle (these are chrome though). Or buy them as “carriage bolts” from a hardware store in galvanized and paint to match your bumper.
The size is 9/16-12 x 1 1/2 BGY has the whole kit for $23.00

The frame to bumper mounting bolts are just shoulder bolts. I don’t know the size right off the top of my head. LMC Truck has these bolts in a kit as well.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Not absolutely true @fodder the bolts needed to bolt the bumper to the brackets are called “carriage bolts” they are sold in the auto parts store in kits called “bumper bolts” in the self help isle (these are chrome though). Or buy them as “carriage bolts” from a hardware store in galvanized and paint to match your bumper.
The size is 9/16-12 x 1 1/2 BGY has the whole kit for $23.00

The frame to bumper mounting bolts are just shoulder bolts. I don’t know the size right off the top of my head. LMC Truck has these bolts in a kit as well.
I don't follow... What bracket are you referring to that uses carriage bolts? I've never heard of a shoulder bolt, but I looked it up and it looks nothing like what the bumper mounts use.

The stuff you described might work if there's something to lock the carriage head into on the backside, but it's not the correct replacement. That BGY kit says it's for '73-79. The question was about '92-96.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I don't follow... What bracket are you referring to that uses carriage bolts? I've never heard of a shoulder bolt, but I looked it up and it looks nothing like what the bumper mounts use.

The stuff you described might work if there's something to lock the carriage head into on the backside, but it's not the correct replacement. That BGY kit says it's for '73-79. The question was about '92-96.
Fallow the second link… Ford used the same bolts from 1953-1996 on the Ford F series and Broncos. The Carriage bolts go behind the plastic/rubber bumper guard …

Product Font Naval architecture Parallel Screenshot

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Circle

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Maybe that works if you remove the plate from the bumper, bolt it to the frame, then somehow reattach the bumper to the plate with limited access. That's not how it came from the factory, though, and seems waaay more difficult than just using the right pieces.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It took a while to find a photo, and the one I eventually found isn't the right year, but the proper mounting bolts look like this:

I wouldn't rely on LMC schematics as a knowledge base.

·
Registered
92 5.0 E4OD metallic root beer work in progress
52 Posts
I have the whole kit pictured above from LMC (item 13). Brackets, nuts and bolts. I ordered it about 6 months ago, thinking I would need it for my aftermarket bumpers, but ended up not using it. They’re currently backordered, but I’ll sell you mine if you need it. Not looking to price gouge. I paid $40. They’re now selling for $50 . If you need it and are interested, hit me up. I’ll sell it for what I paid, if it helps you out.
Product Sleeve Tie Font Rectangle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts