Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Ford Bronco XLT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am new to the group. I recently purchased a 1993 Bronco as a project and I am going to be doing a 5 speed swap. I am sure that this topic has been discussed in the past but I have some questions that I have not been able to find that answers to. I am planning to swap in a M5R2 and have all the parts needed however I am needing to know the length of the front and rear drive shafts. The Bronco that I have came with a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tall tires. Also what do I need to do about the electrical part of the E4OD to bypass it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,293 Posts
You'll have to measure for driveshafts yourself. Many places online have easy diagrams showing how.

As for the computer, you'll need one from a 87-94/5 with a manual trans and your engine size, or a c6 trans and your engine size.

·
Registered
1993 Ford Bronco XLT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will a computer from a f150 with same engine and manual transmission work?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,293 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,962 Posts
Yo 93bkn'bko,
Welcome!
E4OD to M5OD Conversion & Parts Listby Ben Havack @ http://web.archive.org/web/20040421202625/http://www.broncodata.com/white/wpconversion.htm

M5OD & Clutch Install in a 90 5.0 by RFR (Mark) @ http://web.archive.org/web/20040224150353/http://rfr.htmlplanet.com/bronco/journal/journal_page17.html

□°□
ASAP, find out if speed control if equipped, recall worked out of was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members ).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search. See more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

See our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Addicted to Junk
12,293 Posts
I should add that pretty much any info you find to a ZF5 swap will directly correlate to your swap. The ZF5 is the same outer dimensions as the M5R2. The zf is just a HD big brother.

·
Registered
1993 Ford Bronco XLT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the helpful advise. I really appreciate it. I have some parts to hunt down now. I cant wait to complete the swap.

·
Super Moderator
24,962 Posts
Yo 93,

S5-42 Swap from E4OD in a 95
Source: by Broncobabe (Miss Kitten) but the pics I checked are gone

S5-42 Swap from E4OD Parts List in a 94
Source: by Franklin (Jeff) at FSB

S5-47 Swap pics from E4OD in a 95
Source: by Superjet (Pile) So slow to load

S5-42 Troubleshooting Guide for 87-91 BRONCO, F & E Series
by Ford

Slave Cylinder Bleeding & Diagrams for Mazda M5R2 & ZF
by Stev

S5-42 Shifter Parts Diagram
by Steve

Cross Member Fabrication in a 94
Source: by Haustkraft (Rob, The Green Macheen)

S5-42 (7003) Service Tips & Troubleshooting Guide, Jan 99
by Mike W via rsgear.com

S5-42 Tips; "...There are three rubber plugs on top of the transmission that leak fluid only when the truck is in motion so when parked there will be no tell tail signs of a leak. You can replace the plugs yourself or take it to the dealer and have them check it for fluid lose and replace the faulty plugs but it's not cheap. Thing is, the seals are going to fail and if caught to lateas in my case cost you a bundle. Another set back for theback yard mechanic is the bleeding of the slave cylinder. If not done exactly correct your clutch will not work no matter how much you bleed it. Bleeding the slave cylinder, which is inside the transmission and not on the outside like older ones, relies more on gravity to bleed and not pumping. It's just a big pain in the ass actually and it will test your patience.
Source: by WooleyBugger at wooleysrant.blogspot.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts