Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 93 with a 5.8 E4OD Just replaced the tranny and was getting a hard shift from 1st to 2nd and my speedo was broke so i fixed the speedo and now shift smooth as silk, but now it seems to maybe lack a little power in first and when it gets to 3rd gear she starts to rmp jump from like 1700 up to 2500 back and forth then if i punch it, she has a little hiccup then takes off. Already replaced the vss also with a ford factory one ans did a koeo test and came up with code 111. Any help is great thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
Dirty fuel filter?

·
Registered
637 Posts
We'll the load is higher in 3rd than 1st and 2nd so I'd say it makes sense.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Then I'd pull the KOER test as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"...when it gets to 3rd gear she starts to rmp jump from like 1700 up to 2500 back and forth...."

When you say you, fixed the speedo, was that the PSOM, Cluster or VSS sensor ?

Is the surge only happening between 50-70 mph ?

If you vehicle has ABS ?

I wonder if its a bad PSOM ? Maybe others can chime in on this.

Pointer Waver-Service Tip / Article Number 96-21-11

LIGHT TRUCK:
1992-96 AEROSTAR, BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F-150-350 SERIES

ISSUE:
The speedometer needle may waver and/or a light surge may occur on some vehicles when speed control is used at highway speeds between 80-113 km/h (50-70 mph). This may be due to slight dents/chips in either the exciter ring or the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and air gaps between the VSS and the exciter ring.

ACTION:
Replace the Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM) if required. New PSOM's come with increased immunity to system variability. Refer to the following Diagnostic Procedure for details.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

BRONCO/F-SERIES - Perform normal PSOM diagnostics per Pinpoint Tests "H" and "J" of the 1996 F-Series/Bronco Body/Chassis Service Manual, Pages 13-01-30 through 13-01-32 and Pinpoint "B" of the 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Page 10-03-11.

ECONOLINE - Perform normal PSOM diagnostics per Pinpoint Tests "H" and "J" of the 1996 Econoline Body/Chassis Service Manual, Pages 13-01-29 through 13-01-31 and Pinpoint "B" of the 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Page 10-03-9.

AEROSTAR - Perform normal PSOM diagnostics per Pinpoint Test "K" of the 1994 Aerostar Body/Chassis Service Manual, Page 13-01B-31.

1. Any slight dents, chips, etc., in either the exciter ring or VSS will create needle waver. Measure air gap between the VSS and exciter ring. It should be 0.38-0.51mm (0.015-0.020").

2. Check exciter ring runout per the same ring gear backface runout procedure of the appropriate model 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-00. Make sure the exciter ring is mounted correctly to the ring gear. If runout is more than 0.1mm (0.004"), perform the differential runout check per the procedure in the appropriate model 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-02A or 05-02D, to find cause and repair as needed.

3. If all items listed above check good, replace the Instrument Cluster Assembly. Obtain the correct service part number from the Parts Catalogue and then contact the Electronic Odometer Exchange Center at (800) 259-9700 for U.S. Dealers and (800) 663-9974 for Canadian Dealers.

NOTE:
DEALERSHIP MUST TELL THE ODOMETER EXCHANGE CENTER THAT YOU NEED A PSOM3 LEVEL CLUSTER FOR A SPEEDOMETER NEEDLE WAVER CONCERN.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 88 with a 351 3spd auto and i have to take off verry slow and i cant go over 65. If i go to pass some one or if im driving and i put it to the floor it feels like it drops out of gear and my rps shoot up. Any ideas on what could cause that ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 88 with a 351 3spd auto and i have to take off verry slow and i cant go over 65. If i go to pass some one or if im driving and i put it to the floor it feels like it drops out of gear and my rps shoot up. Any ideas on what could cause that ?
Its difficult to say as different transmissions is it a C3, A4LD, or C6 ?

When you say slowly, in all gears or in 1st or 2nd gear ?

What model truck do you have ? or is this a ford car ?

If you do have an A4LD it sounds like possibly the band is out of adjustment; the vacuum line going to the Modulator is off; or the band is burned. (best guess without knowing more details).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"...when it gets to 3rd gear she starts to rmp jump from like 1700 up to 2500 back and forth...."

When you say you, fixed the speedo, was that the PSOM, Cluster or VSS sensor ?

Is the surge only happening between 50-70 mph ?

If you vehicle has ABS ?

I wonder if its a bad PSOM ? Maybe others can chime in on this.

Pointer Waver-Service Tip / Article Number 96-21-11

LIGHT TRUCK:
1992-96 AEROSTAR, BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F-150-350 SERIES

ISSUE:
The speedometer needle may waver and/or a light surge may occur on some vehicles when speed control is used at highway speeds between 80-113 km/h (50-70 mph). This may be due to slight dents/chips in either the exciter ring or the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and air gaps between the VSS and the exciter ring.

ACTION:
Replace the Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM) if required. New PSOM's come with increased immunity to system variability. Refer to the following Diagnostic Procedure for details.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

BRONCO/F-SERIES - Perform normal PSOM diagnostics per Pinpoint Tests "H" and "J" of the 1996 F-Series/Bronco Body/Chassis Service Manual, Pages 13-01-30 through 13-01-32 and Pinpoint "B" of the 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Page 10-03-11.

ECONOLINE - Perform normal PSOM diagnostics per Pinpoint Tests "H" and "J" of the 1996 Econoline Body/Chassis Service Manual, Pages 13-01-29 through 13-01-31 and Pinpoint "B" of the 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Page 10-03-9.

AEROSTAR - Perform normal PSOM diagnostics per Pinpoint Test "K" of the 1994 Aerostar Body/Chassis Service Manual, Page 13-01B-31.

1. Any slight dents, chips, etc., in either the exciter ring or VSS will create needle waver. Measure air gap between the VSS and exciter ring. It should be 0.38-0.51mm (0.015-0.020").

2. Check exciter ring runout per the same ring gear backface runout procedure of the appropriate model 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-00. Make sure the exciter ring is mounted correctly to the ring gear. If runout is more than 0.1mm (0.004"), perform the differential runout check per the procedure in the appropriate model 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-02A or 05-02D, to find cause and repair as needed.

3. If all items listed above check good, replace the Instrument Cluster Assembly. Obtain the correct service part number from the Parts Catalogue and then contact the Electronic Odometer Exchange Center at (800) 259-9700 for U.S. Dealers and (800) 663-9974 for Canadian Dealers.

NOTE:
DEALERSHIP MUST TELL THE ODOMETER EXCHANGE CENTER THAT YOU NEED A PSOM3 LEVEL CLUSTER FOR A SPEEDOMETER NEEDLE WAVER CONCERN.

It was fuse number 8 that caused the Speedo to die. And its only around like 35-45ish and not sure on abs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its a 1988 bronco eddie bower and what i mean by slow is that if i go to take off too fast then it feels like it drops out of gear and the rps shoot up just like if i were to try and pass some one. The wierd thing is that randomly it will act perfectly normal after driving for a while but as soon as i shut it off and back on its back to the way it was

·
Registered
9 Posts
mbyrne96,

We need to I.D. the transmission so I can help you diagnose the problem.

On the door jam sticker there is a code under Trans, what is it ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YOU replaced it, or you paid someone to? Was the original trans rebuilt & reinstalled, or was it swapped out for a reman?i did the swap, and for a rebuilt with 30k

Who rebuilt it? What brand & type of fluid is in it?In exactly what way was the speedo "broke"? Was it broke BEFORE the trans swap? How long/how many miles did you drive the new trans with the broke speedo? not sure bought it rebuilt, napa brand mercon v. and not sure i bought the truck with a blown tranny.

Was the fuse the only thing you replaced?yes

DId you find & fix the cause of the blown fuse? no

What are you basing that on? You're driving an old, heavy truck with relatively poor acceleration compared to anything you might have been driving while the trans was being swapped. i went to the dunes i cant even spin the tires i got a little stuck went down to 12psi and the truck wouldnt even spin the tires

How long does it take to go from 1700 to 2500? instantaneous

How long does it take to go from 2500 to 1700?instantaneous Is there any extra thump, clunk, or bang behind the sound of the engine revving? none at all

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also the surging has almost gone away it seems more like once it hits 3rd gear it shifts right into what would seem like 4th but then it actually does go into 4th so its like a hiccup where the rpm drops like 3-400 rpm then if you give slight gas it goes back up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even a free-revving engine can't change RPM instantaneously - it sounds like either a tachometer or ignition system (which drives the tach) fault. FIND what blew the fuse.

Airing the tires down gives them MORE traction, so it's not surprising for it to be harder to spin them.

How do you get a reman trans with 30Kmi? Did they sell it to someone, then take it back, then sell it to you? I recommend you change to MotorCraft MerconV sometime soon. And if you don't have an external filter yet, add a MagneFine.
Ya i know that. I had hooked up to a stuck buddy and the truck wouldn't even move the tires it was weird. Bought it from a buddy that rolled.

So i noticed if i take off at a snails pace i feel a surge type motion. I can describe it as a lopsided ball rolling. But under normal acceleration can't feel it. Also sometimes hesitates on a take off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts