Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it has been a minute since I have posted. I decided to rebuild the old burnt up E4OD that hung under my 93 FSB. I got everything reassembled and ready to go back under the truck, but I have a... dumb... question before I do. I know many late model E4OD's had a fluid bypass tube that ran along the passengers side of the trans that would allow the rear of the trans to get fluid in case of blockage via normal fluid routes. My question is, did earlier E4ODs like my 93 have this? I did not have one on there whenever I dropped the trans, however it had been rebuilt before by what seemed to be a less than capable third party from what I could tell as I tore the trans down. I have two hollow bolts on the trans like the tube hooks to in the late models... just don't know what steps to take here. Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S.: I will upload some pictures of the carnage and the mess that entailed lol

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Following this thread.

My 1993 XLT also has a failing E4OD. Anything you can post about process and cost will help me make the decision to rebuild the slush box …. or find a 1990's F250 with a 351W and a ZF5 for a manual conversion. Figure either way I'm out 3,000. At least with the donor I might be able to get a Solid front axel and spare 351W.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Following this thread.

My 1993 XLT also has a failing E4OD. Anything you can post about process and cost will help me make the decision to rebuild the slush box …. or find a 1990's F250 with a 351W and a ZF5 for a manual conversion. Figure either way I'm out 3,000. At least with the donor I might be able to get a Solid front axel and spare 351W.
I want to say the rebuild really isn’t all that bad, but i don’t have it back in to know if everything is right and i don’t want to jinx it lol. I talked and asked questions with my local transmission shop, and i followed the transmission bench youtube channel’s tutorial (it’s awesome btw). I highly recommend watching the videos to see if it’s something you’d be willing to take on. This was my first go at a transmission build. I used Monster Transmissions rebuild kit and installed the Transgo Tugger HD-2 kit as well. New 2400 stall converter from Circle D Specialties. Probably about $2000 in for everything, converter included (its $700 in itself). I’ll definitely post up pictures and what i know after i get this thing back in and test it out. Hopefully this coming Saturday if weather allows

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,918 Posts
I know many late model E4OD's had a fluid bypass tube that ran along the passengers side of the trans that would allow the rear of the trans to get fluid in case of blockage via normal fluid routes. My question is, did earlier E4ODs like my 93 have this?
I didn't see anything like that on my '92 E4OD when I removed it in favor of a M5OD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't see anything like that on my '92 E4OD when I removed it in favor of a M5OD.
I didn’t have one either when I pulled it, so I just wanted to make sure before I put it all back in. WAYYYY to much work for something like that to ruin the trans when it’s back in

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts
I didn’t have one either when I pulled it, so I just wanted to make sure before I put it all back in. WAYYYY to much work for something like that to ruin the trans when it’s back in
Yo tfuent1,
As advised and none on our 96, bought new, unless the source for your question was trying to refer to this #7 from 1996 Bronco/F Series Workshop Manual ;
Fluid Cooler Tubes, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty, Bronco, 5.0L, 5.8L, 7.5L

ItemPart NumberDescription
17A095Transmission Fluid Cooler
28005Radiator
37A031Fluid Cooler Tube
47D273Fluid Tube Connector
5372223-S101C-Clip
67N291Transmission Fluid Cooler Line Clip
77A030Fluid Cooler Inlet Tube
8Connector (Part of 7000)
97000Automatic Transmission
10376240-SClamp
11N809635-S165AHose
127F113Inlet Tube
137F112Outlet Tube
ATighten to 23.3-31.7 Nm
(17-23.4 Lb-Ft)
BTighten to 3.1-4.3 Nm
(27.4-38 Lb-In)
CTighten to 10-14 Nm
(7.4-10.3 Lb-Ft)

·
Super Moderator
26,984 Posts
Yo tfuent1,
As advised and none on our 96, bought new, unless the source for your question was trying to refer to this #7 from 1996 Bronco/F Series Workshop Manual ;
Fluid Cooler Tubes, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty, Bronco, 5.0L, 5.8L, 7.5L
View attachment 175265

ItemPart NumberDescription
17A095Transmission Fluid Cooler
28005Radiator
37A031Fluid Cooler Tube
47D273Fluid Tube Connector
5372223-S101C-Clip
67N291Transmission Fluid Cooler Line Clip
77A030Fluid Cooler Inlet Tube
8Connector (Part of 7000)
97000Automatic Transmission
10376240-SClamp
11N809635-S165AHose
127F113Inlet Tube
137F112Outlet Tube
ATighten to 23.3-31.7 Nm
(17-23.4 Lb-Ft)
BTighten to 3.1-4.3 Nm
(27.4-38 Lb-In)
CTighten to 10-14 Nm
(7.4-10.3 Lb-Ft)
Yo @paul rondelli
See 1996 Bronco/F Series Workshop Manual for E4OD Disassembly/Reassembly of Subassemblies @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you are talking about the fluid bypass tube on 4R100 transmissions. They may have come on very late E4ODs, but I'm not sure about that. This tube would essentially bypass the cooler until the transmission warmed up. It's great in theory, but the problem is that those bypass tubes can fail resulting in an overheated transmission. There are actually kits out there to delete the bypass tube. I wouldn't worry about it on your 93 e4od.

On a side note, did you stake your pump bushing on both sides? When I rebuilt my 1994 e4od, I did not stake that bushing on both sides since there is no provision for it. The bushing then walked forward over the next 1000 miles and blocked the drain hole and caused a massive leak through the front seal. Later models had a lip machined into the pump to stop this from happening. The Transmission Bench videos fail to mention this, but I guess it is a known problem in earlier e4ods. You can check out my thread here and read about it - Hey everybody!, and my 1994 Bronco maintenance and.... It sucks having to pull the tranny out again after such a short time.

I would also agree that rebuilding an e4od is not that difficult. If someone has a little bit of mechanical ability, a few tools and some time, it is well worth doing yourself in my opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are talking about the fluid bypass tube on 4R100 transmissions. They may have come on very late E4ODs, but I'm not sure about that. This tube would essentially bypass the cooler until the transmission warmed up. It's great in theory, but the problem is that those bypass tubes can fail resulting in an overheated transmission. There are actually kits out there to delete the bypass tube. I wouldn't worry about it on your 93 e4od.

On a side note, did you stake your pump bushing on both sides? When I rebuilt my 1994 e4od, I did not stake that bushing on both sides since there is no provision for it. The bushing then walked forward over the next 1000 miles and blocked the drain hole and caused a massive leak through the front seal. Later models had a lip machined into the pump to stop this from happening. The Transmission Bench videos fail to mention this, but I guess it is a known problem in earlier e4ods. You can check out my thread here and read about it - Hey everybody!, and my 1994 Bronco maintenance and.... It sucks having to pull the tranny out again after such a short time.

I would also agree that rebuilding an e4od is not that difficult. If someone has a little bit of mechanical ability, a few tools and some time, it is well worth doing yourself in my opinion.
That's exactly what I was talking about! I did stake the bushing on both sides as well... fingers crossed it holds. I have heard many horror stories about that bushing walking. I really do not want to drop this thing again. Thank everyone for all the help!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Following this thread.

I did a ZF5 Conversion a couple years ago when I was looking at fixing my broken E4OD. I priced out the parts and was coming out at nearly 3k(canadian dollars) and I would have to learn how to rebuild one of these beasts. I ended up finding an F250 4X4 for 1000$ and ended up doing a ZF5 swap. After parting out the F250 I came out under 1k all said and done with a bonus rad support that I kept.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a ZF5 Conversion a couple years ago when I was looking at fixing my broken E4OD. I priced out the parts and was coming out at nearly 3k(canadian dollars) and I would have to learn how to rebuild one of these beasts. I ended up finding an F250 4X4 for 1000$ and ended up doing a ZF5 swap. After parting out the F250 I came out under 1k all said and done with a bonus rad support that I kept.
I thought very hard about a ZF5 swap. I ended up going with the E4OD just because I wanted to be able to say I rebuilt an automatic and because it was difficult to find all the parts for the ZF5 swap when I started looking (about 3 months after everything shut down for COVID). I guess everyone decided to pick through yards when they were not working lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
I thought very hard about a ZF5 swap. I ended up going with the E4OD just because I wanted to be able to say I rebuilt an automatic and because it was difficult to find all the parts for the ZF5 swap when I started looking (about 3 months after everything shut down for COVID). I guess everyone decided to pick through yards when they were not working lol
I totally would have been game except that the truck was my only vehicle at the time and I had booked off exactly 6 days to do it. Also it was February and I was working outside with no access to a garage. If I could have a properly rebuilt E4OD that would survive even 150k miles I would much prefer that, it's just that at the time I didn't have the cash or time to keep the truck automatic

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Make sure you flush the lines and cooler really good and install a Transgo shift kit.
I installed the Transgo when i did the rebuild! I have a new Hayden trans-cooler going in Saturday as well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts