Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i just got my bronco and if i open the drivers side door the dome light will not turn on, however if i open the passenger door it will turn on.

also my map lamps will not turn on via switch

any opinions on what i should check?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Mine's been like that for about four years now. :rofl:

I think it's a corroded contact/connector in the driver's side door switch. However, I haven't really dug into it yet because when I do, I'll be pulling up some pretty rusty parts of the cab, and I don't want a gaping hole in the bottom of the B-pillar right now.

Have a look at this, too:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Make sure the map bulbs arent blown first :) I'm betn on the switche being faulty like Sig suggested^^^ I bet if you start to mess around with that switch you can get the light to come on.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
I have the same problem as typaolino92. Dome light won't turn on when I open drivers side door. Based on the diagram, Sig, will I be able to access the switch to see if it's corroded by removing the B pillar interior trim? I looked through Hayne's today and didn't find much to help me out.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I think so, yeah. I haven't pried mine apart yet.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Did I also mention I'm blind as a bat? I stared at that switch all day and never noticed that it was being held on by a single Phillips screw. :doh0715: I took it out, and as I was prying the switch off of the connector, the dome light came on for a split second and then went back off. I took it out and look at the connections on both ends, and there doesn't seem to be any corrosion. I plugged them back in and out a few times, but I was never able to make the dome light come on again.

If Ford would have been nice enough to install the same switch on both doors, I would have taken out the passenger switch and tried it on the drivers side, but the passenger side switch is the one built in to the front of the door. Great.

Is it safe to say that this may just be a faulty switch? Could the connections be corroded even though they don't appear to be? And if so, what is the best way to clean them? They are all recessed into the plastic and difficult to access.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Those switches can and do go bad. Sometimes I have to twist mine a bit to get the lights to come on, its in need of replacement too.

·
Super Moderator
26,349 Posts
yo

Dome Light Connector Corrosion in Driver's Side B Pillar pic; "...This is a picture of the connector behind the driver side seat belt retractor. This is a common area of problems. On mine, the wires had corroded and fell out of the connector. green wire had corroded on the connector and preventing power getting to the dome light..."
Source: by Jem270

Dome Connector in Driver's Side B Pillar pic in a 95 by quinault at FSB

Map, Courtesy & Vanity Lamps Wiring Diagrams in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab and Bronco Vehicles Workshop Manual
Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com
Should be same for 92

Dome Circuit Wiring Diagram & Testing in 92-96; "...The only significant difference between '92-96 and '80-91 is that the MFS's DIMMER switch replaced the older beam select switch, but they perform the same function..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Miesk5 NOTE; Brake Light & Turn, Dome, High & Low Headlight Dimmer, Flash-to-Pass & Hazard CKTs, etc. are a Feed-Through Circuit in Multi-Function Switch (MFS)
the MFS testing is done with connectors disconnected

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Problem solved. I went to the local Pull-a-Part and stole a few from some Aerostars. I came home, hooked one up, and voila, we have dome light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts