Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a '94 XLT 5.8L Dana 44 TTB E4OD Bronco, and had a question about the spindle nut used for automatic 4wd locking hubs. When I originally purchased the truck off of craigslist it was a mess. The passenger side was completely damaged down to the TTB, even the steering knuckle and axle had to be replaced because the rotor ate into it and where the brake pads sit. The other side had the automatic 4wd locking hub. The driver side did use a double spindle nut "4 prong" setup if I recall, however I ended up completely replacing both sides including the axles and spindles outwards to where the wheel bolts on.

I converted both sides to manual Yukon hubs, and used the double spindle nut and washer kit that Spicer sells (28068X). I recently picked up a set of used "5 bolt style" automatic 4wd locking hubs. However after doing some research it appears that Ford used different spindle nuts for different years. I have seen the single spindle nut ratcheting style as well as the two piece and washer. I am wondering if my spicer spindle nut kit will work with the 5 bolt automatic 4wd lockout hubs. I know the manual hubs are better, but I like the novelty of the automatic hubs. Plus I do not mind using them to keep them from seizing up and tearing them down and cleaning them. I also heard there were issues with the single style spindle nut coming loose.

Does anyone have an oem part number for the double spindle nut and washer? Or the spicer part number? I think Ford switched to this in late '94 or '95.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Miesk5 you are the man with the info! So my truck came with auto hubs, but the passenger side was destroyed and missing parts. So I converted both sides to manual Yukon hubs, and didnt really pay attention while taking apart the driver side. I purchased this on ebay: 80-96 Ford BRONCO F-150 TRUCK 5 BOLT CAP AUTO LOCKING HUBS DANA 44 | eBay

I need to know how the hub is secured to the spindle. With manual hubs it consists of an inner spindle nut (with a tab), used to set the hub bearing, a washer, and then an outer spindle nut. I am not familiar with how the auto hubs do it.
Automotive tire Rim Jewellery Tire Automotive wheel system

If you look at this picture, my spindle nuts are like the ones shaded in red, versus the ones that are above it.
Font Circle Camera lens Cameras & optics Wood

I would assume that it would work just fine, as long as the spindle nuts and washer that I have are physically the same size as the oem parts like the ones pictured above. It looks like I have all of the other parts (not the stuff in blue).

·
Super Moderator
28,814 Posts
Yo,
For the hub/spindle see 1983 Ford Bronco Brakes & Hubs picture | SuperMotors.net
Click next. My internet or supermotors freezes when I click next.

Dana 44 Replacement, Front Wheel & Spindle Installation in a 95
Source: by Shane C. (BigBlue, bigbluebronk) at FSB​
Dana 44 Replacement, Front Wheel & Spindle Installation in a 95
Source: by Shane C. (BigBlue, bigbluebronk) at SuperMotors.net​
Dana 44 Replacement, Front Wheel & Spindle Installation in a 96; w/Links
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums​
Dana 44 Replacement, Front Wheel & Spindle Repairs in an 87
Source: by Joey S (Nacho, Stokes, Larry, Stoked) at SuperMotors.net​

·
Registered
1992 ford bronco 5.0 302
30 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a '94 XLT 5.8L Dana 44 TTB E4OD Bronco, and had a question about the spindle nut used for automatic 4wd locking hubs. When I originally purchased the truck off of craigslist it was a mess. The passenger side was completely damaged down to the TTB, even the steering knuckle and axle had to be replaced because the rotor ate into it and where the brake pads sit. The other side had the automatic 4wd locking hub. The driver side did use a double spindle nut "4 prong" setup if I recall, however I ended up completely replacing both sides including the axles and spindles outwards to where the wheel bolts on.

I converted both sides to manual Yukon hubs, and used the double spindle nut and washer kit that Spicer sells (28068X). I recently picked up a set of used "5 bolt style" automatic 4wd locking hubs. However after doing some research it appears that Ford used different spindle nuts for different years. I have seen the single spindle nut ratcheting style as well as the two piece and washer. I am wondering if my spicer spindle nut kit will work with the 5 bolt automatic 4wd lockout hubs. I know the manual hubs are better, but I like the novelty of the automatic hubs. Plus I do not mind using them to keep them from seizing up and tearing them down and cleaning them. I also heard there were issues with the single style spindle nut coming loose.

Does anyone have an oem part number for the double spindle nut and washer? Or the spicer part number? I think Ford switched to this in late '94 or '95.

Thanks.
901bronco,

I have a 92 and when I tore apart my auto hubs there were two spindle nuts. What was crazy was when I cleaned and inspected them they had huge chunks missing. I purchased some mile markers and new spindle nuts and it worked great just make sure you follow the torque specs and back of a 1/4 turn i think it is. Mile marker sells a conversion kit and its cheaper than Warns conversion kit. Good Luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
901bronco,

I have a 92 and when I tore apart my auto hubs there were two spindle nuts. What was crazy was when I cleaned and inspected them they had huge chunks missing. I purchased some mile markers and new spindle nuts and it worked great just make sure you follow the torque specs and back of a 1/4 turn i think it is. Mile marker sells a conversion kit and its cheaper than Warns conversion kit. Good Luck
Awesome, then mine should install just fine then. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts