Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own a 1983 Ford Bronco XLT and miss it dearly. I recently found this one on the net:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-SUV-crossover-1994-Ford-Bronco-eddie-bauer-W0QQAdIdZ197421979

Now my question is, Is it legal to take the top off? I have heard it isn't and that Ford even removed the instructions out of the owners manual. If it isn't can I replace the 94 back seat with an 80's back seat with the lap belts to make it legal?

Also, is there anything specific to the last gen Bronco I should be looking at that would be different then an 80's Bronco? ie maybe in 94 the tailgate was less prone to rusting?

·
Registered
202 Posts
that's an argument that i'm sure you will get alot of input on. The way i see it, the vehicle was designed to do it. So why should or would it be illegal?

a few immediate differences.

the last year bronco, 96, uses a different computer system,obd-II, than all other computer controlled broncos. somewhere in early 90 the bronco went to using a PSOM instead of using a cable operated speedo. Fuel pump system is different in 90's than 80's. 90's has one in tank pump, 80's has in tank pump and inline pump. that's just off the top of my head. if i think of anymore i will post back.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
that's an argument that i'm sure you will get alot of input on. The way i see it, the vehicle was designed to do it. So why should or would it be illegal?
It is illegal to remove safety devices from the vehicle. Seat belts and the high mount stop lamp would fall under this category. I don't think there is anybody that has actually been pulled over for it though. I take the top off any chance I get. Just get some lap belts for the back off an older Bronco.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Trade ya tops and rear seat lol, I have a 96 that has received a pre 92 top and pre 92 back seat. I want shoulder belts. I plan to get them and attach them to the cage I am making for the back of the truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I apologize, but I searched shoulder belt and seat belt and seatbelt and all 3 things came back as having no results.

So you CAN switch the back seat from an 80s Bronco with a 94 then?

And reguards to the computer comment, Was 94 a bad year seeing as they were progressing to OBDII?

·
Registered
110 Posts
No 94's are fine.........typically I have always thought that the last years of a model or last years of a run on a vehicle typically were the better then the first years. They got most the bugs worked out in the earlier years lol. 95-96 is when the switch was made from obd-1 to obd-2, it just depends on the make/model. My 96 bronco is obd-2 but my 96 f250 is still obd-1. The "heavier" trucks fall into different regulations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't see why Ford would build a vehicle that has an illegal option on it. Like, putting your convertible top down being illegal...:doh0715:

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
The fact that the intstructions for removing it are not in the owners manual is a good point, its not in my 95 manual, That and the way its mounted might have been Fords way of discouraging you from taking it off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fact that the intstructions for removing it are not in the owners manual is a good point, its not in my 95 manual, That and the way its mounted might have been Fords way of discouraging you from taking it off?
If it is mounted differently does this mean an 80's topper won't mount?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 91 now, when i had my 87 no cops ever pulled me over with the top off, but that had lap belts, does anyone know whether the 91 owners manual had instructions to take the top off? I want to take the top off this summer, but i dont have enough for a cage where i can weld the belts to yet. then again i dont really think its worth the hassle to have a cruiser pull me over with a couple of people in the back on the way to the beach 40 miles or so from where i live.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the whole shoulder strap thing started in 92 didn't it? That and along with the high mount brake lamp.

I know the last gen broncos had those tamper proof torx bolt heads for the topper, did the pre 92's? I currently have a 91 or older top on my 96 with no fitment issues.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I also noticed that the bolts are a real PITA to take out. I had to use a lot of strength to ratchet them out, on mine and ones at the junk yard. They were just as tight going back in, they would thread in about 1/2 inch then would'nt budge, had to tap the threads. Mine had like half of them missing when I bought it, now I know why! There must be a reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts