Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

New to the forum and so glad I found you all! Also, I hope this is the right place to post for questions and help.

I have a 1994 with 179,xxx miles on it and its been running great until about a week ago, I was heading home after about 150-mile round trip and the OD light started blinking and my engine pulled power. Got home no problem I was about 2 miles away and I set it in the carport had a beer and said I'll look at it in the morning.

The next morning it started right up - took it down the road and back and no issues no OD light flash, thought OK great the beers must have fixed it last night.

Went over to a buddies house with my littles and about a mile from home, the OD light came on blinking and parked it.... that is where it sits almost a week later.

1-Checked the fluids in the tranny with it warm - level perfect - color pink/purple and not smoked or smelly.
2-no check engine lights
3-starts up fine and gets to temp
4-its pulls forward and backwards while the engine is at idle - no CEL or OD flash unit I give it any gas whatsoever then the OD light starts flashing and limp mode city????

CODES*****

I checked the codes and on engine running, I get 624 / 634 - my AC does not even work and was in the off position. On the engine off codes, I get 118 / 538 / 632

Before I tow it to the tranny shop I am hoping some of you gurus can help me troubleshoot this thing - maybe it will be an easy fix or maybe I just cut bait and take it to the shop?

Got a family so every $$$ counts for something these days - Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
624 is high current to the EPC. Transmission pressure solenoid.

634-MLPS out of range for Park. This is the gear position sensor on the trans.

Both of these can cause the trans to limp.

I would start with going over all the wiring to the trans and check the condition of both connectors.

The Trans Solenoids can be checked for proper resistance and shorting. At the trans is a PITA. I went in from the removable trans tunnel to get at the connector and to put test leads on it. It can also be tested at a connection in the harness, I think.

Both the trans solenoid pack and MLPS can be DIY. Solenoids require removing the trans pan to get to it.

But confirm before going in, the PCM could be messed up. Troubleshoot first.

118 is the ECT. Pull connector check the resistance matches for the temp. If not replace it.

The other codes are for not performing the Engine Running goose test. Not real issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Narve - Thank you for the fast reply! I will try and figure out what leads to test on the solenoid pack, I assume if this is bad I should just replace the whole solenoid pack as a whole, this high-pressure solenoid is part of the replacement pack correct?

I ordered up a new Tranny filter and gasket kit so I was planning on dropping the pan anyway to look things over.

I'll grab a ECT as well and keep you al posted.

Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts