Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go....
1994 Bronco 5.0l e40d auto, EEC-IV speed density non-OBD non-mass air system

Daughter turned out of the driveway started to accelorate and the truck just shut off. When trying to start it it would spin over and maybe hit on one or two cylenders

The fuel pump had been whining so I though that it decided it was done. I checked (redneck style) for pressure on the fuel rail, pressing in the the release vaulted and it was not impressive. I turned the ignition switch on and did it again and it just squirted and did not give a continuous stream of fuel...

Up in the lift, drop the tank replace the fuel pump, then the filter and decided to replace the regulator while I was at it. And ....NOPE still not start.

So next was check things out;
Spark / fire from the coil - check
Fire at the plugs - check
Fuel pressure -40psi check
Pulsing on the injectors - check
Pull a couple of plugs and they look good

Next I changed out the ignition module ( which as we all know can go bad, even though this one is on the vendor and not heat soaked distributor)
Still will not start.

My cousin brings his computer over and we try talking to the truck to see what's up, no codes, nothing of note to speak of. His son said "we phew we changed the ICM on the blazer we had to reset timing". So, we proceeded to adjust the timing and whamo she fired up. We adjusted the timeline to 10def with the plug out.... And took off down the road. If was ok as long as we stayed under 1/2 throttle. Above that or at WOT it felt like someone instantaneously thrown a 10,000lbs an her out. The engine wanted to go but the truck was being held back. ( I have had this happen before and it wa the cats stopped up).

I dropped the exhaust and nope still the same behavior. Gave up went to bed

Next morning hit the starter and would not fire, same one or two hits nothing else. Adjusted timing, fired right up.
So now thinking the cam position sensor in the distributor might be bad sending goofy signal to ECM. Replace the distributor go through all the start up steps, set timing,etc... She runs, test drive, shoot same thing. I added more timing, ran better but still throw out the anchor at WOT, just maybe not as heavy.. Again if I drive fight foot she runs and shifts fine..

Next morning f&$) will not start again.....adjust timing while turning it over and she fires up...

I at a loss, what am I missing short of replacing the ECM in this beast.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Ok here we go....
Adjusted timing, fired right up.
....adjust timing while turning it over and she fires up...
So, in order to get it to start, you loosen the distributer hold down bolt, pull the SPOUT, set up the timing light, and crank the starter while looking at the timing marks and setting it to 10° BTDC?

What is the timing set at BEFORE you have to correct it to 10° BTDC?

Is the hold down bolt loose?

Static timing (the 10° BTDC with the SPOUT removed) should never change once set.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikey350, once yes on all accounts, and not the hold down but is not loose.

I ordered a new brain box today

·
Registered
415 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts