Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at a 1994 bronco, witha 351 and 4" of lift, i am thinking about purchasing this vehicle, but it has a goofed up steering, it has about a 40 degree play to the left, and it turns just fine to the right, the owner is looking for $1500 for it. i am assuming the steering problem is the gear box, could it possibly be anything else??

·
Registered
15 Posts
idk but it could always be that you just need a wheel alignment or something. I have a 94 and havent had any problems with steering except from a little rubbing from the 35s

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i havent bought it yet, if i do i know a mechanic who could check it out for me. Kind of hoping it may not be the gearbox.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the gear box is the problem, the stearing wheel would be off center / miss aligned. If there is play it could be a few things.

I agree with the guys, have the alignment checked out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
check the pitman arm... if its the OEM one, it'll look straight. A dropped arm will look like it has been bent downward. using a lift and the OEM arm will yield a situation similar to what you are describing...

Sounds like this is the problem, not a steering box issue.

A new arm is about 65 bucks...and easily changed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
according to the seller, there is some spring broken in the steering wheel that causes the cruise and horn not to work and the airbag light is always on, i went and looked at it again today, completely forgot to look at the pitman arm, maybe he guy i went with saw it possibly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click my tan CV in my sig & look in the Steering Column album. :deal
Clock spring? that could have gotten messed up when it was lifted.
Also, what model year steering gear boxes would work on this??? could i use a box from anything 90+?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i dont think that would be affected by the lift itself, sometimes they just break...

·
Broncoless
1,494 Posts
Pretty sure the steering wheel would have to have been taken off for alignment with the lift.
negative on that one. i jsut had mine aligned yesterday and didnt have to remove the steering wheel. and when i had my 89 aligned.....never had to take the steering wheel off. you take it to a good alignment shop and if the steering wheel is off centered, they should be able to adjust everything in the steering to center it up and get you going down the road straight

·
Registered
47 Posts
If a shop is centering your steering wheel by taking it off and moving it, I would find a different shop ASAP!!!!! I would not let them even put air in my tires......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt have it lifted, the owner before the owner i bought it from lifted it himself.
Anyone one the gear box replacement???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pretty sure the steering wheel would have to have been taken off for alignment with the lift.
The problem is the steering box. how hard are these to replace?

100% sure you're wrong

·
Registered
46 Posts
whats up man, i found you, im a stalker. guys on here can be real assholes when it comes to questions. make sure you search first or say you couldnt find what you looked for.

·
Registered
470 Posts
the clock spring is effecting your horn and air bag issues. and is pretty easy and cheep to fix yourself.
as far as the steering wheel a good shop will center your wheel with a toe in/out adjustment and not take the steering wheel off. look for some of the other issues mentioned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts