Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on here. I usually just read but I can't find any info on my specific problem. I have a 1994 bronco with the 5.0 and E4od. The engine has about 200000 miles on it and I've been thinking about replacing It with something fresher. I am buying a inline 300 from my cousin that has 500 miles on it however it is from an early 80s f100. This engine was reworked and has a bigger cam at 268, has been bored .060 over as well as other things to freshen it up. After looking at options to hook up to the existing system I have come up with the Holley sniper which should be rather easy to make work in the bronco. My issue is how I am going to integrate it with the existing sensors and wiring. I'm. It looking at tearing it all out, hence why I think the Holley is a good option but other then a remote TPS I'm not sure how I would hook it all in. I would like to keep everything close to stock aside from the new engine and the obvious changes that go with that.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So the Holley Sniper is a standalone, integrated EFI system, which means you really won't be keeping any of the stock Ford EFI engine sensors. You will need an O2 bung welded into the new exhaust y-pipe, since the one from your 5.0 won't work and the Sniper comes with an ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor that can thread into the same place as the factory Ford one. As far as getting the TPS signal to the Ford ECM to run the E4OD properly, with the Sniper most people seem to end up using a remote TPS:
Otherwise the transmission only needs the VSS signal from the rear axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the Holley Sniper is a standalone, integrated EFI system, which means you really won't be keeping any of the stock Ford EFI engine sensors. You will need an O2 bung welded into the new exhaust y-pipe, since the one from your 5.0 won't work and the Sniper comes with an ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor that can thread into the same place as the factory Ford one. As far as getting the TPS signal to the Ford ECM to run the E4OD properly, with the Sniper most people seem to end up using a remote TPS:
Otherwise the transmission only needs the VSS signal from the rear axle.

So when I remove the sensors from the old engine and do away with them will there be any issues with the old ECM? Will it throw any codes or anything like that? I guess I'm just wondering besides the installation of the Holley sniper, is there anything else I need to account for with the stock computer equipment. I know I should be good with the rpm gauge and speedometer but will the ECM cause any other issues that I need to address with this install.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So when I remove the sensors from the old engine and do away with them will there be any issues with the old ECM? Will it throw any codes or anything like that? I guess I'm just wondering besides the installation of the Holley sniper, is there anything else I need to account for with the stock computer equipment. I know I should be good with the rpm gauge and speedometer but will the ECM cause any other issues that I need to address with this install.
Oh it's gonna throw codes like crazy, but there's not much you can do about that, unless you just want to replace the ECM with a stand-alone unit for just the transmission. I assume you are planning on using the non-computer controlled ignition (Duraspark) since the distributor on the 300 will not be set up to work with the ECM anyway?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh it's gonna throw codes like crazy, but there's not much you can do about that, unless you just want to replace the ECM with a stand-alone unit for just the transmission. I assume you are planning on using the non-computer controlled ignition (Duraspark) since the distributor on the 300 will not be set up to work with the ECM anyway?
Yeah that was the plan. Duraspark seems like the way to go. Is it possibly to dummy the ECM or to change the programming in anyway. I don't have experience with ford ecms of this time period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it looks like the Fitech auto learning efi system has the ability to split the TPS signal using a breakout that is can be bought. Looks like there are people out there who have used these assemblies and successfully split the signal. The Fitech is also quite A bit cheaper than the holley sniper while providing more or less the same functionality. I'm going to look into this route and see if I can split other senors to feed the ford ecu with data to make it happy. Does anyone have experience with Fitech EFI throttle bodies?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,916 Posts
a 300-6 bored that far will need to have a really good cooling system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts