Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my bronco the fuel gauge doesnt work and it dies when i put it in gear . im not sure if i have a bad fuel pump or a vacumee leak. my question is if the pump usually goes out with the sending unit or if i could get away with just finding the sending unit itself, cause there wanting 180 bucks for a new unit with pump down at orileys. :banghead

Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When i replaced my fuel pump in my 1996 it was a separate unit. You basically have the pump and then you bolt the fuel level sender to the pump and into a bracket which drops into the tank.
Get a cheap fuel pressure gauge and see if your within the specs listed in the haynes manual.
Your fuel level sender should have nothing to do with the truck dying out when you put it in gear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill try the pressure guage thing. i know the sending unit wont have anything to do with the truck dying but i was thinking since they only sale the sending unit with the pump attached that maybe the pump would be close to quiting too.the fuel pump makes a kinda high pitched whining noise when the battery is turned on. is this normal or not??

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont know if I would describe the noise as a high pitch whine but it should make enough noise that when your in the cab with the doors closed you can hear it prime up when you turn on the ignition. I would describe mine as more of a lower pitched drone sound.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I cant say if the specific noise you hear is normal or not, as im not there listening to it... but i can assure you that its normal to hear the fuel pump priming on these trucks.

How does the truck idle when in park? Does it stall when you load the engine by turning on the AC or holding the steering wheel at full lock for a few secs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
the sending unit is seprate from the fuel pump itself i replaced just the pump on my 1994 bronco and it was 140 at advanced auto parts it wasnt that hard to replace either and since yours is still starting check the fuel filter or replace it while your doing this

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when its idleing in park it will idle down to about 300 rpm then back up to about 700rpm, it only does this some times, but after i get it moving it seems to be just fine. it mostly happens when i am sitting still at idle, in gear. when i pull up to stop lights i slip it into neutral and it runs fine.
i cant figure it out.

and the fuel pemp always makes that noise even after it primes the system. its kind of the same sound all the time.

i replaced my fuel filter about a week ago, but nothing

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try pulling the vacuum line off of your fuel pressure regulator and see if it makes a difference to your idle. (If there is any fuel in the vacuum line when you pull it, any at all, it is leaking and needs to be replaced)
I would also say to take a look at your IAC as I have heard they can cause a bouncing idle. Its just two bolts to remove and you clean it out with some throttle body cleaner.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Sounds like your Idle Air Control is bad. To be sure you can test your IAC with a multimeter although I can't remember what the volts for the IAC are supposed to be without having the Haynes manual in front of me. But with a good shop manual, multimeter and test light you can find what's ailin' your truck. :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts