Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 1995 Bronco that is in dire need of a rebuild. I am back and forth as to what to do... Rebuild or Remanufactured? Im kinda leaning to rebuild, just to do it myself. I am not sure cost will be much different in long run. This truck is just for hunting and South Dakota winters. I have a 2010 F-150 to depend on. I miss the Bronco...bad. Its been parked for two months and it makes me cry..jk

Question:
1995 was mass air and roller cam, so in theory I can throw a cam, headers, etc and computer will compensate correct? Most of you will say drop in a 351, but I plan to stick with the 302. I would like a near stock truck to be dependable with stock EFI setup...

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Rebuild it stock. you will have no tuning or other issues that way, and the stock configuration sounds like what you need anyhow. buy good quality parts, and do it yourself. you may be able to buy a re-manufactured engine for the same price, but if you do it yourself you can be assured that all the parts are good with no corners cut (good pistons, bearings, rings, timing chain, oil pump, etc)

i'd stick with a stock cam grind unless you plan on upgrading the heads and swapping to a higher stalling torque converter. shorty headers would probably be a good addition though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
:stupid
I'd find a reputable machine shop after dissasembling the motor yourself, have them check the block for wear and straightness and clean it. Have them check the crank and rods and buy yourself a complete bearing set based on if you have to have the crank turned or whatever. DONT SKIMP ON THE BEARINGS, i have always used federal mogul bearings but thats me. the machine shop will be able to install new cam bearings and what not. If youre looking for a little more power and you have to have the cylinders bored anyway just get a set of .030 over pistons (which equates to a 306) maybe swap out the stamped steel rockers for a set of roller rockers, and a set of headers while you got the engine out. If this is something youve never done before i'd suggest a good book to help you along or maybe one of the good folks here has a write-up on a proper rebuild. Either way it's a good way to learn something and more than likely doscover a bunch more work for you to do while the engine is out:banghead:thumbup

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your gona tear it all the way down I wouldn't put the stock heads back on it. Look around and try to find a set of gt40 heads. You should be able to find a set for a few hundred. Then just put it back together with the rest of the stock components with the exception of roller rockers. The upper lower intake flows pretty good and the truck cam will make lots of torque where you need it. The heads will let the engine breath a lot better, especially if you add the shorty headers and free flow exhaust. I would also look for another block to build and leave the one in the truck there untill you are ready to swap. Its a lot easier to remember where everything hooks up when its only been a day or at most a week since you took it apart. If you pull the motor and leave it out for a few weeks or months while you rebuild it, it might make remembering how everything hooks back up a bit more difficult. Plus you will then have a spare motor you can rebuild or keep as a spare.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
i will go against the grain here. go with a Jasper remanufactured motor for a 1995/6 Explorer gt40 motor. little extra power, reliability, and best of all WARRANTY!!! and i have never heard any horror stories about them, only good things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Explorer motor? Would the computer work? I want the motor to bolt in with all the stock computer stuff! Thanks all for the tips.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
should and its got more power then the f-series/bronco 302

210 horse/ 280 pound feet of torque

1 - 7 of 7 Posts