Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
ok took a minute to start the bronco and did not see any check engine lights once started and running. Also observed no lights on or flashing on the column shifter LED OD button.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
OK M5 after reading your write up several times and thinking about what makes the most sense I am leaning towards the filter came off of the pump inlet and I'll explain why I think this.

Since this is a known common problem and all of a sudden the transmission fluid is registering higher than it should on the dipstick with the engine running tells me that the pump is not taking in the fluid as it should or as it would if the filter was intact and working properly.

Does this make sense? I don't really like unplugging connectors and potentially creating more problems that don't currently exist by going and pulling on plugs and wires for electrical tests. I mean if the problem is inside the transmission under the oil pan than I want to keep it simple and go right to the soarce of the problem. Yet at the same time I really don't want to go messing with a bunch of transmission oil and seals around the pan either but hey if the oil filter coming loose makes the most sense then I'll do what has to be done. I think this will be another one of those repairs that might take me a while to get to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you got code 629, the TCC failed to change state. It is staying locked in this case.

Likely causes are wiring harness, transmission solenoid or PCM.

When the Torque Converter is locked it blocks flow in parts of the transmission making it read high.

Battling the same issue right now. Cutting the purple/yellow wire got the truck moving until I can fix the PCM (checks low resistance in my case).

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Narve were you not able to go from Neutral to L1 and keep the truck running?

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
Yo
OK M5 after reading your write up several times and thinking about what makes the most sense I am leaning towards the filter came off of the pump inlet and I'll explain why I think this.

Since this is a known common problem and all of a sudden the transmission fluid is registering higher than it should on the dipstick with the engine running tells me that the pump is not taking in the fluid as it should or as it would if the filter was intact and working properly.

Does this make sense? I don't really like unplugging connectors and potentially creating more problems that don't currently exist by going and pulling on plugs and wires for electrical tests. I mean if the problem is inside the transmission under the oil pan than I want to keep it simple and go right to the soarce of the problem. Yet at the same time I really don't want to go messing with a bunch of transmission oil and seals around the pan either but hey if the oil filter coming loose makes the most sense then I'll do what has to be done. I think this will be another one of those repairs that might take me a while to get to.
Yo N2,
It's difficult for me to recommend any speciic fix.

Start with E4OD external solenoid body connector.
➡NOTE: Check electrical connectors for terminal condition, corrosion and contamination. Repair or replace as required.

To remove Valve Body;
Remove solenoid body assembly connector by pushing on the center tab and pulling on the wire harness...
To reattach;
Completely seat solenoid body connector into solenoid body assembly receptacle by pushing on top of connector.
An audible click indicates full connection."
The pack's Internal connector body should come out with the pack
"...Remove nine solenoid body assembly bolts using a T30 Torx® bit and one nut using a 10mm socket."
Push down on solenoid body assembly receptacle to remove solenoid body assembly." by Ford

Consider Paul, thePUNISHER Punisher E4OD Valve Bodies @ Punisher Valve Bodies E4OD 4R100

However, iIf your E4OD fluid hasn't been changed in past 30,000 miles, then do it.
If it's the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid itself, pan has to be removed anyway.

Torque converter clutch solenoid provides torque converter clutch control by shifting the converter clutch control valve to apply or release the torque converter clutch.
Symptoms: Failed on engine stalls in drive at idle low speeds with brake applied or manual 2. Failed off converter clutch never engages. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.
Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 629,* P0741,** P0743,** P1743, P1742, P1744. (*Output circuit check, generated only by electrical condition. **May also be generated by other non-electronic related transmission hardware condition.)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok so If I'm going to pull the oil pan to check the filter I might as well weld in a drain plug bung or is there aftermarket OE replacements that come with a drain plug bung and cap for future oil changes?

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
Yo N2,
Filter Clip Alternative; "... have seen many threads and received many pm's as of late speaking of the stay-put filter clip used to keep the filters from falling out of the pump in the e4od. there is an alternative to using this clip. it is more expensive but also has more benefits than just using this clip. you can get a trans pan from a 03 super-duty truck. this pan has little humps in the bottom to but up against the bottom of the filter and this keeps the filter from falling down. this pan also has a drain plug and extra capacity for 1.5 more qts of fluid. this pan also allows you to use the much better elastomer gasket. it is reusable and virtually leak-proof. much better than the cork design. it does require the use of a 4x4 filter..."
Source: by thePUNISHER (Paul) at FSB

Or
1996 DORMAN E40D Auto Transmission; Deep Pan; 4x4
BTW, I don't know why DORMAN and others just list 1996 model year

Item Number: 31183
Unit Price: $39.95
F81Z 7A194-BA FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Product Description
Designed with a drain plug for easy service of the transmission fluid, Dorman’s Auto Transmission Oil Pan eliminates the hassle of having to loosen the pan for fluid changes.
•Direct replacement for ease of installation,
•Tough powder-coat finish for long-lasting corrosion protection •Comes with drain plug for easy transmission maintenance

@ Transmission Pan E4OD-Broncograveyard.com

Will look for other pans later.

Also, remember to inspect the connectos and wiring to the E4OD.

·
Registered
245 Posts
@N2 Bronco's & @miesk5 DO NOT get an aftermarket pan with the drain bung installed! I tried that and the replacement pan leaked! Luckily I was able to return the aftermarket pan (via Amazon), BUT I had to re-do the whole job of changing my fluid & pan... NOT FUN. I used an add-on drain bolt with thread locker and it is completely solid. Tack weld if you want, but not necessary. Just whatever you do, keep the original pan, just spend some time and clean it up, etc. first. Compare the lip of teh OEM pan with the Dorman, even the one Miesk5 linked to BG. The aftermarket pans are made cheaply and have an inferior lip without raised indentations and they are a bitch to seal properly. Just stick with OEM.

Attachments

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,000 Posts
I went with the Dorman 265-805 (Ford F81Z-7A194-BA / 4R100 equivalent) tranny pan and had no problem sealing it. It didn't seem any less solidly built than my no-drain original.

·
Registered
245 Posts
@fodder and @N2 Bronco's No disrespect, but I firmly disagree. The aftermarket pans are stamped out of thinner material and do not include any reinforcements in the sealing lip, nor do they have any raised alignment/"anti-crush" rings around the mounting holes. This is my opinion and observation, so take it as you may, but having gone through my experience previously mentioned, I'd avoid an aftermarket pan at all costs. Some more comparison pictures are below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I'd avoid an aftermarket pan at all costs.
And I would never put the no-drain factory pan back on. :) If I shared your concern about the aftermarket pans, the only route I would consider viable is getting an authentic Ford F81Z-7A194-BA pan.

Also, consider the possibility that you got a bad Dorman pan, or maybe they were making them different during the batch yours came from. Dorman probably doesn't rely on just one supplier, same as the parts houses. My experience thoroughly differed from yours, so I see no reason to sell the product short.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Fodder is that pan number you listed same as what M5 was suggesting in getting a pan for a 2003 Super Duty? I looked up that pan and cross checked that it would fit on an '03 F250 Super Duty with the 7.3L A4OD Transmission and Tasca Parts says it fits.

Concerns as of now: I don't know if that is a 4x4 pan or is there a 4x2 pan that has a different number from a 4x4 pan. How do I determine the differences between the two. I mean if the part numbers indicate this that would be obvious but I don't know how to distinguish part numbers to types of eqquiped vehicles.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Fodder is that pan number you listed same as what M5 was suggesting in getting a pan for a 2003 Super Duty?
I specified the part number for a reason. ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Ok so that part number goes to the 4x4 which means I need the 4x4 oil filter as well per M5's suggestion correct ?

So for the oil filter, Oil Pan with plug, oil pan seal I'm looking at the following part numbers. Please correct me on any part numbers that are not correct.

I'm still a little confused because the new Oil filter is suppose to have the bumps in it to keep the filter in place. Then the new Oil pan is also suppose to have bumps built into it to keep the filter on tight. This makes me think there is room for error here as fitment might be a little bit to snug if both are built with nubs to keep the filter on tight.

Oh yea one more question. When buying the filter, does it normally come with a new filter inlet seal or would I need to order one of those separately and if so what would the correct part number be for that?

F81Z-7A194-BA (Oil Pan with plug)
F6TZ-7A098-BB (4x4 Oil Filter)
F6TZ-7A191-A (Oil Pan Gasket)

EDIT:
I just noticed on the notes about the filter that it comes with a gasket. Does not specify the gasket part number so not sure if it's the cork or rubber reusable type gasket.

Product Details

Expedition. Excursion. Navigator. Bronco. 4wd. F150. F350. 4r100. E40d trans. E4od trans. Auto trans. F250 pick-up. E150-350 vans. With super duty.
  • Notes: Includes Pan Gasket & Filter Except On 4R100 Transmission.
  • Applications: F150. 1997-99 LD. F150 1980-91. 1999-07 SUPER DUTY. 1992-96, 1997-98 HD. F150 1997-03, HERITAGE 2004.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It was still locked in L1. Although I was never sure if I could yank it down fast enough to only engage first before it died.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was able to shift it to L1 from neutral fast enough with out any yanking involved. I wanted to drive it and bring everything up to operating temps so I could check the fluid levels for a starting point in my initial troubleshooting efforts. While driving I had to shift up and down manually to keep the engine RPM’s correct for road speed and not over rev or lug and stall the truck. Down shifting from L2 to L1 was my least favorite as I would have to just about lug the engine just enough while slowing in an effort to keep the engine from stalling out and the transmission jerking when L1 is engaged. Shifting up is not a problem.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts