1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1995 BKO 5.8 E4OD
2018 F250 Super Duty Front and Rear Axles w/ Steering Gearbox
RYD Motorsports SAS Kit RYD Motorsports

Axles were complete with brake hoses attached, I did connector adapters to -3an hose at both front and rear brakes

1995 BKO Rear brake fittings at tee
7/16-24
3/8-24
1995 BKO Front brake fittings at frame
3/8-24

2018 F250 Rear brake hose fittings
M10-1.0
2018 F250 Front Brake hose fittings
M10-1.5

Rear flange from driveshaft to rear axle Spicer 3-2-1859 (This allowed me to use my existing BKO 1330 series driveshaft, then I used a 1350 to 1410 conversion u-joint to mate BKO driveshaft to the 2018 F250 rear axle)

Front axle will require a new 1350 series driveshaft slip yoke in order to mate to 1410 series at axle. I haven’t got to this point yet. Any ideas for part to use would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Shade tree mechanic with limited tools, I’m sure anyone with a clean space and time can definitely do this solo, I completed with no help. Took about 3 weeks here and there.

Any questions or insight lmk

Attachments

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,815 Posts
Nice work!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice work! I have been seriously considering the same swap into my 1995 BKO. I have 2008 SD axles I had accumulated for a different project.

Please follow up as you complete this.

Thanks for sharing!

-G

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Donezo!!
Here are the updated pics, 35x12.5r20 Atturo XT on 20x10 fuel wheels... feels solid when driving, especially turning using the 2018 super duty steering gear box... bolts are m16x2.0 140mm for 2017+ Super duty... I’ll follow up after a few miles
A0D2BDBB-DB73-44D9-B6D7-5C404AB5790D.jpeg
50F58103-535E-4867-9AC5-DB19DB90AE14.jpeg
3126A73C-AFD5-447F-9E9F-D079C343AD94.jpeg

Attachments

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,836 Posts
Excellent reference thread! 😎 🍺

·
Registered
1983 Bronco. 460 with EFI/C6-6” lift riding on 3/4 axles
15 Posts
Nice. Did you use the stock Superduty springs or go with lifted springs?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lifted springs, not sure of height though as I got them dirt cheap and wasn’t going to complain... the rake is slight nose up, but as of late I noticed the rear driveshaft pinion angle is a little off and most likely I’ll be getting taller blocks and angle wedges to correct and level out more

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lifted springs, not sure of height though as I got them dirt cheap and wasn’t going to complain... the rake is slight nose up, but as of late I noticed the rear driveshaft pinion angle is a little off and most likely I’ll be getting taller blocks and angle wedges to correct and level out more

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,836 Posts
May I make two quick observations?
1) Needs more pinion angle.
2) The U-bolts/leafspring plate is mounted incorrectly! :eek::oops:
Can you provide more pics of that leafspring/axle mount set up?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Looks like you already have two wedges stacked on top of one another. For your safety and others, I would recommend cutting the leaf spring perches, rotating the pinion to the correct angle, and then having a qualified welder weld them back in.

As mentioned, you're U-bolts are mounted upside down which is also very unsafe. I believe I have an extra set of Sterling leaf spring plates that you could have for the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just a few items of concern. We'd hate to see your Bronco get torn up or worse, you or someone else get hurt unnecessarily.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
May I make two quick observations?
1) Needs more pinion angle.
2) The U-bolts/leafspring plate is mounted incorrectly! :eek::oops:
Can you provide more pics of that leafspring/axle mount set up?
I figured the new vibration had something to do with the pinion angle, I’ve been trying to find a shop to cut perches and reweld but no luck... As for the u bolt plates, I reinstalled them the same way they were on the super duty it was removed from. Which ultimately could have been incorrect as well...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like you already have two wedges stacked on top of one another. For your safety and others, I would recommend cutting the leaf spring perches, rotating the pinion to the correct angle, and then having a qualified welder weld them back in.

As mentioned, you're U-bolts are mounted upside down which is also very unsafe. I believe I have an extra set of Sterling leaf spring plates that you could have for the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just a few items of concern. We'd hate to see your Bronco get torn up or worse, you or someone else get hurt unnecessarily.
I used the super duty components when reassembling the u bolts, can you assist in the correct orientation of what is pictured?

Attachments

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,836 Posts
I figured the new vibration had something to do with the pinion angle, I’ve been trying to find a shop to cut perches and reweld but no luck... As for the u bolt plates, I reinstalled them the same way they were on the super duty it was removed from. Which ultimately could have been incorrect as well...
Give these guys a call and see if their Rockwell U-bolts will work for you:

Rockwell Ubolt Flatbottom

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I believe you may be missing the semi round block which fits on top of the leaf spring pack as seen here:

Also, follow this link and go about halfway down the page.

There's a picture of a 2017 F250 rear leaf spring pack. You can clearly see the semi-round spacer/top plate which fits between the top of the leaf pack and the u-bolts.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,836 Posts
I believe you may be missing the semi round block which fits on top of the leaf spring pack as seen here:

There's a picture of a 2017 F250 rear leaf spring pack. You can clearly see the semi-round spacer/top plate which fits between the top of the leaf pack and the u-bolts.
VERY INTERESTING.....

I've never seen that! :oops::unsure::geek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I see that for sure... i still have my stock u bolt plate and I wonder if it will fit the super duty U bolts? I’m on the hunt for that semi rounded top piece ... thanks for the information

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,815 Posts
honestly you will want to get those bolts swapped so they are facing up otherwise they will get hung up and destroyed facing down like that.

here is what i just found.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
honestly you will want to get those bolts swapped so they are facing up otherwise they will get hung up and destroyed facing down like that.

here is what i just found.
Not sure it would be necessary, Same idea would go for the shock mount, that also has a potential to be damaged because it’s below the axle...

·
Registered
68 Posts
What is the front shock set up you used? I was looking at doing the swap with the desolate kit, but just can't justify the cost after the extra stuff. I'm sure it's just the retail aspect but they really wanted to push the "you have the buy the king shocks to have this work right".

This kit uses oem super duty shocks and springs right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts