1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im ready for my upgrade.
Current Bronco 1995 302 E4OD 4x4 getting 9-11 mpg
Donor truck F250 351W ZF5 4X4 ??? Mpg
I'm swapping motor and trans. Where do i start? I'm looking for gas milage build. What upgrades if any? My assumptions...
Swap motor trans wire harness cpu steering column clutch pedal floor hump
What transfer case? F250 is shifter but bronco is electronic......
Anything else?
Any tips?
Should i put new clutch? If so what one?
Thankyou in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok how would I do that? I searched but could not find anything about MAF with a 351 and ZF5 setup. Everything was E4OD.
I have both trucks with engines and systems.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Is mpg really the ultimate goal? What are you hoping to get?
The reason I ask is a 351 in a Bronco will never be awesome regardless of the transmission. It was never a goal of the truck type.
Do you plan to tow? Off-road? Pavement queen? Long trips? Future usage really needs to be considered.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daily driver. Towing yes but minimal. I have a 5x8 trailer. Pavement queen/car shows.
Hoping for 14 to 16 mpg ish.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
Ok how would I do that? I searched but could not find anything about MAF with a 351 and ZF5 setup. Everything was E4OD.
I have both trucks with engines and systems.
You're fortunate with the ZF5 so you don't have to worry about tranny controls, so this is easily accomplished with an A9L or one of the other MAF Mustang EEC's..You could try to source salvage yard parts from a 5.0 MAF pickup/Bronco but I'd imagine most of that stuff is picked over by now..Fiveology makes a MAF kit that would do the trick and they will be able to sell you the correct EEC. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
28,270 Posts

·
huh
1995 Bronco, Slightly Modified
7,219 Posts
I put a C6 in my 95 Bronco when my E4od crapped out. I dont remember how complicated it was but I might dig up the old thread and put the pictures back in it.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
Dont i already have a 5.0 MAF in my current 5.0 Bronco?
That's my bad..Didn't even see what year you Bronco is..

To answer your question, yes a '95 should be MAF..as advised by the all knowing @miesk5, you can find the MAF meter right near the air filter housing..

In short, if you have the MAF that makes things a lot easier..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks miesk5. Sorry should have been clearer. Yes mine has a MAF. I was more thinking about my ECU??? computer. I think its called an ECU. Am I correct in thinking i can use my current upper intake with MAF, [(Leave the AC Compressor connected to the hoses)separate questions here]..., and swap the whole engine and trans. put the 5.0 upper intake on the 5.8 and AC Compressor on the 5.8. then.....
1) change steering column
2) run the exhaust from the newish 5.8.
3) Swap the clutch pedal in.
4) Transfer Case...what one should I use with ZF5/Bronco combo?
5) Install front drive shaft.
6)
5) Is there anything i need to do to the wire harness going from E4OD to ZF5? I think i saw there was a jumper wire or something.

Thanks. sorry I'm so clueless here. I want to make a plan before starting any removal of the engines and transmissions.
That's my bad..Didn't even see what year you Bronco is..

To answer your question, yes a '95 should be MAF..as advised by the all knowing @miesk5, you can find the MAF meter right near the air filter housing..

In short, if you have the MAF that makes things a lot easier..
How do i connect the current 302 MAF to the 1995 351 in putting in? What do i need? I cant find this info searching.
Thanks.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
Thanks miesk5. Sorry should have been clearer. Yes mine has a MAF. I was more thinking about my ECU??? computer. I think its called an ECU. Am I correct in thinking i can use my current upper intake with MAF, [(Leave the AC Compressor connected to the hoses)separate questions here]..., and swap the whole engine and trans. put the 5.0 upper intake on the 5.8 and AC Compressor on the 5.8. then.....
1) change steering column
2) run the exhaust from the newish 5.8.
3) Swap the clutch pedal in.
4) Transfer Case...what one should I use with ZF5/Bronco combo?
5) Install front drive shaft.
6)
5) Is there anything i need to do to the wire harness going from E4OD to ZF5? I think i saw there was a jumper wire or something.

Thanks. sorry I'm so clueless here. I want to make a plan before starting any removal of the engines and transmissions.

How do i connect the current 302 MAF to the 1995 351 in putting in? What do i need? I cant find this info searching.
Thanks.
Once you put the 351 in, you're going to need to swap over the injector harness with the one from your MAF 302 along with the EEC. The 302 MAF EEC will adapt to the 351 and it will run fine..that's one of the benefits of the MAF..

With regards to the transfer case, keep you BW13-56..That case has a great low range and was found behind F350s of the same year, so no need to worry about strength.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK it looks like I can keep the airbox with the air filter the MAF sensor And the tubes and just hook him on to the 351. Is the wiring self explanatory? Is the firing order different between the 2 engines?

·
Super Moderator
28,270 Posts
Yo Red,
The firing order for 94-96 5.0 & ALL 5.8 is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

Reactions: jermil01

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
The wiring will be straightforward, pretty much plug and play once you have the injector harness swapped over. The one thing the MAF harness won't have is the provision for the intake air temp sensor on the lower intake..it uses the sensor on the air box and the MAF harness will have a plug for that. Just leave the old sensor screwed in and you won't have any issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts