Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 1995 Bronco 5.8 liter automatic, 106,000 miles. Its always run and started good. We had a recent cold snap 5 days of 0 to 10 degree highs. I went out and tried to start it one morning and it would only click. I jump started it, and it took a long time to jump but it finally caught and turned over and started. Thought i had a bad battery so went and bought a new one. All connections at the battery and relay look good. Put the new battery in and it fired right up. I thought I had the problem solved. I let truck sit two days and then tried to start it, It had full lights ect fully charged battery, but all I got was a click from the solenioid. This time tried jumping, it still did nothing just a click after 10 minutes with the cables on it finally turned over. After it is warm the the truck turns over like normal. But next morning same thing only a click from the relay.
Could the relay be bad or is the starter bad. I tried with the key in the on position to cross the relay terminals, but all that happens is i get a spark, and a click down by the starter, but it still does not turn over. Its cold here and i really don't want to lay under this truck if i dont have to Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Sounds like you may a short somewhere or something is "ON" draining the battery so quickly. Check and see when the key is "turned off" if the clock display is on or off, if it's on maybe something in the ignition isn't being turned off.
When the igntion actuator inside the steering column is about to go you can tell when you have to rotate the key all the way over and it's hard to start or it's like the battery is dead, nothing happens but you could start the vehicle by turning the key to "run" and use the starter relay. Under the column shroud there is a long rod that runs down along the top of the column to the ignition switch and if it isn't aligned properly the ignition won't start or completely shut off.

Check thread "1985 steering column actuator replacement" IIRC is has a lot of pictures on this and you'll see what's involved if this is part of the problem. This might be a bit far out but simple to check.

Starter relays won't pull the battery down.

I would pull codes from the PCM and see if it shows anything. You can search on "How To" pull codes if you haven't before, it's simple and code explanations can be copied for FREE at www. fordfuelinjection.com/RJM Injection Technologies ~ Ryan McCormick aka: Fireguy50 an FSB member who is the owner.

When was the last time you replaced your ignition switch, it's located on the lower part of the steering column?

Also check in your Haynes for any proceedure to perform and search other threads here for similarities to save time and frustration, dig out the multimeter! lol lol

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put new battery in its not the battery or a drain. It does the same thing with the new battery.The new battery can sit all night and is still 13 volts in the cold all lights including headlights are strong and remain strong while attempting to start just have a click like before.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Replace the starter relay and see what happens they're cheap enough and you can return it for a refund, but if the battery is continually going dead after short periods with no use, something is on in the system.

It might also be the starter, ignition switch or maybe ignition coil ~

Pull codes, search threads!

Good Hunting ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try the relay tonight. I guess I should clarify that the battery is not going dead it still has 13 volts, its brand new, the one i replaced was 4 years old and tested out weak when i replaced it. I just thought battery, but it appears that its something in the starting system. Its way to cold to lay underneath, but the only wire or connection i havent been able to check is the starter connection below. I hope the relay will work but if not I will wait untill it warms up and try the starter connection. thanks again

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
When you have a chance, make sure the NEG battery cable has a small 1 inch area with the wires inside exposed and ground it to the frame. I made a little bracket with a nut & bolt to hold in place, there are a number of small holes on the frame there already and it will make the elec. continuity a lot better.
Get a good quality relay for sure, I have a Bosch in mine $18.00 but you can get one for around $9.00 IIRC.

I don't miss the cold weather anymore! :chili:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad starter i guess

Well changed solenoid and checked all connections, still just a click. If you put jumper cables on it after a few attenpts it turns over, but today the starter sounded really sick , grinding bearing noise. after the truck warms up the starter works like normal, so i guess I have a bad starter and will change as soon as its warm,. Layed under the truck and it looks like original equiptment very rusty. I guess 13 years and 106,000 miles is pretty good life .

thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
OK a step in the right direction, take back the starter solenoid and get a new starter and hopefully you should be good to go. :chili:

Don't for get to ground the NEG battery cable to the frame for better continuity ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had the same sympton with my Bronco. As discussed above, this fault can be down to your wires. Although the terminals may look clean and tight, the wire inside the plastic sheath may be corroded and you wouldn't be able to tell with stripping it out. However, it does also sound like it could be your starter. If you want to try and fault find without having to initially buy a new starter, whip the starter out and connect it to a batt (keep your foot on it when you do it). If it spins, the starter is ok, in theory.

I would then try replacing the following wires: batt to starter relay; relay to starter; batt neg to chasis; and engine earth to chasis. I have also placed a wire from the starter housing to the chasis to make sure it is earthed.

For info, I repaced all the wires and the starter and she now starts really easliy.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so its 40 degrees today and I thought since the prediction tonight is 14 to 19 inchs of snow here in milwaukee, now would be a good time to change out the starter.

Warning this starter was original equiptment and 106,000 miles. I had tio use a torch and heat the bolts up red hot before it would budge. I'm glad they didnt snap.

New starter is in and I'm ready for the fun in the snow tommorrow.

Kent

·
Registered
137 Posts
The same thing happened to me, drove to the store when I came out nothin. Tried jumpin it no luck just a click. bought a new battery and relay nothin, changed the starter all better. I hate easter egging but what are you gonna do in a parking lot.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This happens on the bronco I just bought and on my old 88 F150. After the click the entire electrical system is dead like I had a dead battery. I would just wiggle the positive battery cable until I heard the key chime come on (key in ignition with window down). That's how I knew the juice was flowing again. Sometimes it would give me another click when I turned the key, and sometimes it would crank.

On the bronco, once I got it to crank after a few tries wiggling the wires, it seemed to stick and it hasn't happened again.

IIRC I fixed the problem on the F150 by putting in new battery cables.

·
I Shear Bolts
799 Posts
revive:
Same thing happening to me right now. Lame. It's stuck in a hospital parking lot 30 miles from my house. Gawd, I hope this is the last issue I run into until the next payday.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
<snip> I would just wiggle the positive battery cable until I heard the key chime come on (key in ignition with window down). That's how I knew the juice was flowing again. <snip> On the bronco, once I got it to crank after a few tries wiggling the wires, it seemed to stick and it hasn't happened again.
Don't be foolish. It WILL happen again, and at the worst possible moment. Do yourself a favor and clean your connections. Now... at a time of your choosing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Don't be foolish. It WILL happen again, and at the worst possible moment. Do yourself a favor and clean your connections. Now... at a time of your choosing.
You are right.

I fixed this last weekend the same way I fixed it on my 88 F150. I had to replace the battery cables, not just clean them. The neg cable was corroded on the inside for the entire length of the cable.

Cleaning the connections isn't enough if the cable is bad, and sometimes you can't tell without cutting into the cable to see the green gunk.

Now it starts like a champ.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts