Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched all over and have not been able to get an answer so I'm coming to the wise ones on this site.

Can anyone tell me what changed at the 5/95 build date to make the rotors different. My truck was built 2/95 and it does have ABS. The only rotors I could find with ABS tone ring installed were for 5/95 and later. They fit the truck just fine but I get this rubbing sound witch I assume is the ABS tone ring rubbing the sensor.

Any ideas??? Thanks guys, this is a great site. I'm loving my new to me, 1995 XLT.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Dont know about the ABS rotor.

But, to find the rubbing, you should be able to pull off the wheel where its rubbing and then spin the rotor by hand to hear if it makes the noise, then pin point it to find where the noise is coming from. Might be the ABS or something else

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont know about the ABS rotor.

But, to find the rubbing, you should be able to pull off the wheel where its rubbing and then spin the rotor by hand to hear if it makes the noise, then pin point it to find where the noise is coming from. Might be the ABS or something else
Yea, one would think. The rubbing only occurs when there is a side load on the wheel, like when turning. I can't reproduce the load by just pushing with my hands.

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Spindles are different. The rotors *should* be the same. The hub (not the lockout selectors) may be different. It sounds like the tone ring may not be seated all the way on the hub. Is your ABS light on?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know it's stupid BUT have you looked at the dust shields??? They have a good amount of surface area and can make alot of noise with little contact.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
The spindles are diferant for non abs but the bearings and hubs should all be the same. The tone ring can be pressed out and pressed into the new rotor/hub. I think sackman or jkossarides di a write up on it a few years back.

Sounds like it might be your bearings you are hearing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Take it apart and look for the shiny spot!

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
The spindles are diferant for non abs but the bearings and hubs should all be the same. The tone ring can be pressed out and pressed into the new rotor/hub. I think sackman or jkossarides di a write up on it a few years back.

Sounds like it might be your bearings you are hearing.
Isn't the 2 piece hub seal vs 1 piece an 1/8 inch longer due to th e lip for the seal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, thanks everybody for the info. The only difference I could see in the rotor I took off and the new one is the ABS ring was not pressed on as far on the new set. I'll take it all back apart and see exactly where it's rubbing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You shouldnt need a new tone ring, unless its worn badly just clean it with brakleen or put it in the parts washer and put it back on. Dont need a fancy press either, a hammer and a brass bar work fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts