Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going through front end of a 95. Was mfg 5/95 but had one piece wheel seals and old style spindle. Switching to manual hubs.
My axles seals were gone I guess. I can't find anything like the one I pictured (or is that one for the 3rd member).

Questions:
  • Based on the diagram below, does the DS outer stub axle require a seal and the PS doesn't (or is the portion beyond the last U joint just left off the PS)
  • Or, Is there a different one for the PS? I am finding LH seals everywhere online but RH looks totally different / or not listed.
  • Do they seal to back of spindle, or ?
  • Bottom line, what axle seals do I need if any to complete assembly?
TIA
dana_44_ttb_exploded_diagram-1.png
seal.jpg

Attachments

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,486 Posts
There is definitely a seal. I cant recall whether it looks like the one you pictured, or more of the wheel seal style with round metal external ring.

@NickOille will know
And @miesk5 probably has a part number.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
723 Posts
The seal you have pictured there is for the driver side of the 3rd member. The passenger side of the 3rd member takes a National 470672 seal or equivalent. It is a flatter looking seal, doesn’t have the bowl shape of the driver side.
As far as seals on the spindle, National 722109 goes on the stub shaft and seals against the back of the spindle. While you are there, check out the needle bearings on the inside of the spindle. If those are bad, I’ve been pretty happy using the nylon bushing replacement that Wild Horses sells

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,486 Posts
Thanks nick, and those are pretty slick spindle bushings. When I rebuilt my TTB, i couldnt get the old ones out. They felt good, so i packed em with grease and left em in. Of course now I have one new one, with the new spindle that got replaced on the trip home from Moab.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

To clarify, are these seals the ones that snap into the groove of the spindle bearing seals?

Outside to in:
Spindle bearing, SB seal then axle seal?

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
723 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
62 Posts
Thanks nick, and those are pretty slick spindle bushings. When I rebuilt my TTB, i couldnt get the old ones out. They felt good, so i packed em with grease and left em in. Of course now I have one new one, with the new spindle that got replaced on the trip home from Moab.
I used a 240z spindle pin with the nut and washer to knock out my spindle bearings, as well as my bearing races. it works great! about 12" long, 5/8 shaft with a large washer retained by the original hardware on the end, it seems to fit everywhere, although the hammered end is beginning to mushroom from years of abuse. I'm sure you could find a similar sized grade 8 bolt at the hardware store.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I put this together after I was fighting with a noise in the front left axle. It might be of some help. I ended up pumping in a bunch of moly grease to get it to stop squealing. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
Been awhile since I have been on, Here are all the seals, bearings and ball joints I did last year. Some are x2. There are some that are confusing from the Ford partnumbers Hope it helps... IMG_1674.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts