Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '95 Bronco needs a new tranny. Destroyed it on the last wheeling trip. Supposedly, the only direct fits are those from another '95 bronco, 150, 250, or 350. I would love to put a C6 in it. Would this be possible? What should I be aware of?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm assuming that you have an auto....as long as the donor has a E4OD then you should be fine. For an AOD tranny, you can identify it by looking at the gear selector. It will have the overdrive option that you shift to with the gear shifter. The E40D has the overdrive selector on the end of the gear selector stick. It's a push button.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the process of diagnosing the trouble now. I took off the pan and discovered a brownish fluid and a gray sludge around the magnet. No signs of water or metal. Now I have to find out what is causing the discoloration and sludge. I prefer the older C6, they seem more reliable, and I don't need OD off road.

·
Registered
408 Posts
there is nothing wrong with rebuilding your own auto transmission either. As long as you get a good service manual for your tranny, it is really quite straight forward. You just have to READ EVERYTHING before you start.

If you don't want to rebuild your own, like it was said before, you will PREFER a 95 or 96, but an older e40d will work. The newer ones have some updates that fixed some problems that caused premature failure problems.

If I were you I would spend the cash and get a reman. You will be looking at about $2000 but it will have a warranty and have some additional upgrades that will make it last longer.

If you want to swap to a c-6 (because you don't need OD) then there is nothing wrong with that, just make sure that you do your research on the swap first so you know what you need to do. If i remember correctly, it isn't a direct bolt on. You may want to add up the prices of what you need to do the swap to see if it is actually cheaper than a reman e40d.

·
I see Broncos
6,016 Posts
If I recall you will need:

Computer for a manual trans bronco
C6 Xmember
Longer drive shaft (Duh)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone know what would be causing the brown fluid?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
does anyone know what would be causing the brown fluid?
When was the last fluid/filter change? Engine oil could be getting into the tranny, but old fluid that also encounters a little water will tend to turn a brownish).

What symptoms is the tranny displaying?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point Shadofax.
I was driving through a lot of water the day that the tranny started acting up. I also drained the t-case fluid. It was above the fill plug and looked like chocolate milk while the tranny fluid looked like a light motor oil.
I'm thinking that water got into both, causing the discoloration and the trouble with the tranny.

Symptoms: The transmission would drive find in 1st and 2nd, but would rev high shifting into 3rd, but then would pop out of third if acceleration wasn't maintained. I never got fast enough on the road to experience OD (but the light was flashing the entire time). Also, the engine light would come on after driving a while, probably because of what I stated above.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I am going to replace all fluids and se what happens.
Does anyone think that the trans. is trash, or is there hope?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a E4OD trans. for 1995 bronco. It don't matter whether it's used, rebuilt. I don't want to spend a lot for an off road vehicle. Craigslist and Ebay are turning up empty handed.

·
I see Broncos
6,016 Posts
Try your local wrecking yard or go find some heap to part out.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a E4OD trans. for 1995 bronco. It don't matter whether it's used, rebuilt. I don't want to spend a lot for an off road vehicle. Craigslist and Ebay are turning up empty handed.
Ive got a rebuilt E4OD with 2,000 miles on it and a transgo shift kit for sale.

It comes with a 96 bronco though :toothless

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I threw my E4OD away at the scrap yard. I couldnt give it away

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I guess I am going to replace all fluids and se what happens.
Does anyone think that the trans. is trash, or is there hope?
There's hope. Stop driving it until you have fully flushed both the Tcase and Tranny.

And, you need to extend all your vent lines since that's likely how you got water in, in the first place.

And if you were in water deep enough to soak the above units (if that's your problem), you also need to check and likely do front hubs immediately, and check both axles as well.

Water sucks. Creates lots of work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
E4OD...

I had to have some transmission work done on another car, and the shop owner said the E4OD is one of the best transmissions ever built. To make it last, he said, is to change the fluid annually (pan off), and turn the OD off when going up hills or towing. The stock cooler (tow package) is good enough. He seems like an experienced wrench and was recommended by a fellow off-roader/wrench.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I'm assuming that you have an auto....as long as the donor has a E 40d then you should be fine. You can identify that by looking at the gear selector. It will have a D for Drive and not the overdrive option on the selector. I believe that only the E 40d has the overdrive selector on the end of the gear selector stick. Push button.
The hell did you just say? Moer sence pleese. And it's an E-4-O-D. The letter E, the number 4, the letter O, and the letter D.

Untrue. You would prefer one to be from a 95 because it will have more of the updates, but older will work. C6 swaps have been done, do a search on them. Bronkzilla did one and did a pretty good tech thread on it.

Why not diagnose your trans and find out the problem and try and fix it yourself?
:stupid

I'm in the process of diagnosing the trouble now. I took off the pan and discovered a brownish fluid and a gray sludge around the magnet. No signs of water or metal. Now I have to find out what is causing the discoloration and sludge. I prefer the older C6, they seem more reliable, and I don't need OD off road.
I've seen a few E4OD's with pure sludge in the pan, and they've come out alright. Don't get me wrong, they didn't last forever, but 10k or so after getting new fluid in they were still okay.

C6's are pretty tough transmissions, but so are E4OD's.

If I recall you will need:

Computer for a manual trans bronco
C6 Xmember
Longer drive shaft (Duh)
Don't necessarily need the manual trans EEC, but it's nice if you don't want to see a bunch of trans-related codes everytime you go to check codes.

Check the for sale section. Local trans shops, and junkyards are other good places to check.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I had to have some transmission work done on another car, and the shop owner said the E4OD is one of the best transmissions ever built. To make it last, he said, is to change the fluid annually (pan off), and turn the OD off when going up hills or towing. The stock cooler (tow package) is good enough. He seems like an experienced wrench and was recommended by a fellow off-roader/wrench.
I would have to say I would agree with this. I know E4OD longevity is totally open to discussion, but once discussion starts, certain facts become evident. I do think the early years had some issues, fixed by my year (95). I don't change my fluid annually, but then again annually it now sees about 5k a year. so if he was thinking every 15k or so, I'd agree with that. my pan is always pretty darn clean, just the usual minor sludge metal stuck on the magnet.fluid still clean and smelling/looking nice after 3-4 years. Stock cooler up front with the tow package. Just put the clip in to keep the filter from falling. and yes, when hitting the steep mountain passes here in Colorado, the OD goes off so that the tranny kicks down to 3rd or possibly second only as far as shifting. I will occasionaly let it shift to OD once up the hill and beginning to go down on a not too steep portion to keep RPM down.

It's a big tranny, heavy, but at least from my experience, it's been reliable to this point, 13 yrs. and 137k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts