Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this site, I have a 1996 Bronco with a 5.8L it has 264,000 miles everything is original, the only thing I did to the Bronco was put a 2 1/2" lift with 33-12.5 BFGs. I am the second owner, I bought it with 48,000 miles.

I am looking for some advice, I want to get some more horsepower to tow a travel trailer. This is not a daily driver I use it on the weekends.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is my first post on this site, I have a 1996 Bronco with a 5.8L it has 264,000 miles everything is original, the only thing I did to the Bronco was put a 2 1/2" lift with 33-12.5 BFGs. I am the second owner, I bought it with 48,000 miles.

I am looking for some advice, I want to get some more horsepower to tow a travel trailer. This is not a daily driver I use it on the weekends.
Being put under heavy stress with that many miles on her.....she might blow a gasket! For more power....look at ignition stuff like MSD (except the china made crap). Other than that....I wouldn't go putting too much stress on the motor with that kind of mileage.

Go buy an F250....if the budget is so inclined.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking about rebuilding the engine and tanny, she still runs very well. Just looking for some advice on how the guy in the now would rebuild.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our friend is right about the ignition parts. Let the exhaust flow too 3" is good. Don't forget lots of lube, metal on metal is no-go at the worst times. Got a 95 XLT 5.8L E4OD now but my 83 XLT with a 300 six/ 4 spd. manual never quit pulling (390,000 miles, RIP) a 5,000Lb. 1967 Pathfinder trailer bouncing across Wisconsin lakes at -5 degrees goin fishin. Same thing spark, flow and lube (all points). Only rust killed it.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts

Sounds like your truck is in well maintained condition and is running well. At that many miles, ignition add-ons will only marginally improve your HP. Intake and exhaust are improvements, but then you might consider a complete rebuild.

One of the best things that you can do for trailer towing is upgrade to 4.56 gears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a 3" exhaust, I did that along time ago. I think I mite try the 4.56 gears, I get the oil changes every 3,000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts