Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 1996 EB Bronco that was for sale today. I am looking to buy it. The adapter piece at the end of the E4OD that is mated to the transfer case had broken in half. Pieces of it were still attached to the the transmission and transfer case. I could see the input shaft that goes into the end of the transmission, it still looked good. This breakage happened while the current owner was cruising on the highway.
I want to buy it, I can get it for really cheap, but I am trying to figure out what caused it and worst case scenario in fixing it.
It looks like all that would be involved is replacing the adapter. I have one from a spare E4OD that I have sitting around. It looks like it is a swapable part without disassembling the tranny. Am I right?
Did the transfercase chain break and bind causing the break to happen and would it have caused any damage to the E4OD? Is there some other type of scenario that could have caused this other than a fracture in the metal that finally gave way while he was cruising down the highway? There is a lot of weight sitting on the end of the tranny adapter, the transfer case is fairly hefty, I could see that causing the break.

What do you guys think?:scratchhe

Thanks.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
mine broke the trans case, but the transfercase was okay. I think too much torque and a bad driveshaft caused the failure.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went out to the garage last night and took the tailpiece off the spare E4OD. Easy. I went and looked at the Bronco again this morning. Seriously looks like just the tailpiece broke in half. The input and output shafts on the transfercase and tranny look fine. So I told the guy I would take it. Going to pick it up Thursday afternoon. It's a 1996 EB, 351 W, leather, keyless entry, has the lights in the mirrors, limited slip, needs two tires, swingout spare tire holder with the EB tire cover, basically loaded. 147,000 miles. 800 dollars. FTW. I can't wait to have MAF!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,699 Posts
Can't beat that for $800...nice.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just the adapter is broke.

Finally got to tear into it. It is definitely just the adapter at the end that is broke, nothing on the TC or tranny. The one thing that is an issue is the last half inch of the splines on the output shaft are damaged. The splines are approximately 3 inches long. So the question is, do you guys think it would be okay to use it that way. At the very least I am going to have to take a small chisel and clean out the spots where the splines cut in, they aren't as wide as they should be anymore, in order for the female part on the TC to accept the input shaft. I don't think tab A will insert into tab B right now, hehe. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes sense to use a file. Thanks to both of you.

Does anyone see a problem with the splines not being as effective on the last half inch? The engine will never be heavily modified: headers, exhaust, intake, 6litre tuneup is about it.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotten some of the work done.

Been working on it off and on. Filed the splines, I think the TC will slip on now. Removed the rest of the tailhousing, fought with a bolt in the top section that due to the wiring bracket rust had corroded and locked itself in there. Broke the head off and used two nuts backed up against each other to get it out. Cleaned up a lot of small pieces of metal flakes, from the spline damage. Replaced the tailshaft tonight. I removed the pan tonight, it wasn't as bad as what was lying around at the tailshaft end, there was only a tiny bit of flakes of metal in there. I realize I am going to have to put an external filter on though as I am worried about the metal shavings floating around in the tranny. Going to find that setup tonight and order it. Also going to flush the lines and the factory coolers (it has the supercooler package).
Once I get it running I will change the fluid, filters within 100 miles or so. I am sure some of the metal shavings got into other parts of the tranny. Or should I change it all sooner than 100 miles after I get it running? The fluid that came out tonight looked and smelled great, aftermarket filter, I was really concerned that the PO was only changing the oil on the Bronco.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's alive!
TC slid right on, was a little concerned but it went on. Got the driveshaft installed, had to buy some new bolts because two were damaged and missing one. Flushed the coolers and lines. Installed an inline filter on the return line, there was a 8 inch rubber section of the line below the fan that looked like it was from the factory that way, must have been for the Ford inline filter. Filled her up with fluid and drove up and down the driveway a few times. Drove great!

Getting the windshield replaced tomorrow for 150 dollars (they are even coming out to my house to do it!). Got an appointment on Thursday to get the exhaust put back together (got busted up when the driveshaft was flopping around).

The bad news: Decided to check the brakes out. Started with the drivers side. Couldn't get the aluminum rim off, so I was beating on the tire and noticed the whole thing moving around quite a bit. Finally got the tire off and I am fairly sure the lower balljoint is busted in half. I can move the hub around about a half inch, the top of the lower balljoint isn't moving but the bottom is moving around like the spindle has dropped a little bit and the balljoint is hitting the sides of the hole it fits up into. Sigh, I wish I could buy the cheaper balljoints (16 bucks) but gonna have to get the Moogs, unless somebody has a recommendation of cheaper ones that are as or almost as good as the Moogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts