Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Try it now!!
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 96 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L with the automatic tranny, 176000 miles on it. Runs like a champ and shift like buttah. Doesnt leak a drop of anything. I dont drive it often, but I have it in Roanoke for when I have to spend the night before/after a trip.

Last night when I got here I noticed it wasnt shifting out of OD. It just stayed in OD all the time, from 0 to 70mph. I could manually move the shift lever to 3 or 1-2 and it would shift immediately into the proper gear, but would never automatically downshift.

I replaced the battery last night, but dont remember the problem occuring immediately afterward, so I'm not sure its related.

Tranny fluid is light brown...needs a flush. I havent gotten around to it since I'm rarely here during the day when shops are open. However, today I did have a chance to swing it by a transmission shop and they pulled the codes. Solenoid 1 was apparently stuck. It was a stored code since, on the way to the transmission shop the problem cured itself, and during the rest of my driving around today it has been intermittent, mostly without the problem.

I'm guessing the solenoid is sticking. Anybody have experience with this problem or any suggestions?

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
I would check out www.naxja.org if someone here can't help first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts