Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco - Eddie Bauer 5.8L
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in February, I purchased this 1996 Eddie Bauer from Bring-a-trailer. It had 104k miles on it, and spent most of its life in Idaho. I bought it based on the photos and conversations with the seller. I was slightly disappointed when it arrived, as it had a lot of little things wrong that were not in the description. Things like both power mirrors didn't work, over head console temperature sensor didn't work, both door panels needed repairs, cracked grill, etc...

My mission was to bring this back to life, close to how it would have come from the factory, and make it into a fun & reliable weekend toy for our family.

Day 1 when it arrived:

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Time to start replacing stuff:

New parts include:
Door, tailgate and window seals
Passenger, driver and tailgate windows
Refurbished overhead console
Passenger and driver mirrors
Redhead steering box
OEM thermostat
Dash vents
Window vent handles
Battery tray
Sony Radio
Front grill
Tail lights
Dynomat on the doors and tailgate
Polished headlights

Wood Composite material Tool Gas Auto part

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Car Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Bumper

Wood Gas Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nasty window seals:

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tread Bumper Fender

Hood Motor vehicle Water Wood Automotive lighting

All new glass installed on doors and tailgate. Previous glass was etched with scratches from the broken window seals:

Wood Beam Shade Line Building material

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
26 years of misc bolts replaced with OEM hardware kit:

Wood Art Font Screw Metal

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Acid chewed battery tray replaced with new OEM unit:

Rectangle Font Gas Tool Wood

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Door panels fixed with new armrests and OBS kits:

Automotive design Vehicle Grey Automotive exterior Auto part

Automotive design Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grey

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Faded dash vents replaced with refurbished ones:

Car Vehicle Steering wheel Motor vehicle Steering part

Cracked mirrors replaced with Bronco Graveyard replacement mirrors:

Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Window Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Sony XAV 8100 stereo replaced some old, dated Kenwood unit:

Window Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Gadget

Reactions: Rlsfoot12

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
30% tint on all windows:

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lastly, new 32x1150x15 BF Goodrich tires installed, including a refinished OEM rim to replace the old steel spare.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Upcoming projects include:

1. Gibson catback exhaust - sitting in my garage, have appt for install next Friday
2. Powder coat spare tire carrier
3. Order WeatherTech cargo liner

In August, it will be going to the body shop to have the under carriage/body steamed, and treated with POR.

After that maybe some shocks, but pretty much just in maintain and enjoy mode.

🍻🍻(y)

Reactions: JBR14 and eddiej

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How hard is the window seal project ?
Not hard at all. The vent windows were the most difficult. The main door windows and tailgate window were very easy.

·
Registered
1994 Bronco XLT, 5.0, E4OD, leveling coils, 33s.
40 Posts
Upcoming projects include:

In August, it will be going to the body shop to have the under carriage/body steamed, and treated with POR.
What shop are you taking it to for the undercarriage and what are they charging you? And did you get that exhaust on yet? Have a sound clip or video? Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What shop are you taking it to for the undercarriage and what are they charging you? And did you get that exhaust on yet? Have a sound clip or video? Thanks!
I'm getting the Gibson exhaust put on next Friday in Marble Falls. The shop that is going to do the undercarriage work is Bad Ass Broncos (Classic Ford Broncos New Braunfels, Texas Restorations), in New Braunfels. They haven't given me a solid price yet, and they are backed up for months. I went there in May to get an estimate, and they told me August was the soonest time available.

If you are ever in that area, stop by and check out their shop. The owner, Woodie, is really nice. They had probably 50+ Broncos there, all in different stages of restorations and repair.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ope! Just realized your post was from 3 hours ago… Anyways, I’m living a parallel bronco life. Purchased off eBay from Washington and when it showed up I was extremely disappointed. Probably 20 dents in the body, leaked oil and coolant like crazy, ran super rough. The guy knew he had taken me for a ride and actually gave me some money back, but I’ve been slowly getting it back to where it should be.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ope! Just realized your post was from 3 hours ago… Anyways, I’m living a parallel bronco life. Purchased off eBay from Washington and when it showed up I was extremely disappointed. Probably 20 dents in the body, leaked oil and coolant like crazy, ran super rough. The guy knew he had taken me for a ride and actually gave me some money back, but I’ve been slowly getting it back to where it should be.
I'm not far away in Blanco. If you need a 2nd pair of hands or help with some of the stuff I've done, let me know! 🍻

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm getting the Gibson exhaust put on next Friday in Marble Falls. The shop that is going to do the undercarriage work is Bad Ass Broncos (Classic Ford Broncos New Braunfels, Texas Restorations), in New Braunfels. They haven't given me a solid price yet, and they are backed up for months. I went there in May to get an estimate, and they told me August was the soonest time available.

If you are ever in that area, stop by and check out their shop. The owner, Woodie, is really nice. They had probably 50+ Broncos there, all in different stages of restorations and repair.
Nice, thanks for the recommendation! I’m in South Austin. I will take my truck down there once the steering feels safe enough to drive on 35 😂 Redhead box now on the way after I got a dud from O’Reily’s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not far away in Blanco. If you need a 2nd pair of hands or help with some of the stuff I've done, let me know! 🍻
Might be taking you up on that! If you know of a good drivetrain shop, let me know. I got a quote yesterday on swapping out the gears for 4.56s and they wanted $2,500. Felt steep.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts