Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all! Hope your day is good. Time to whip a dead horse here.
Help please! I am in the middle of replacing and re-conditioning the rear drum brakes on the 1996 XLT Bronc. I bought Raybestos brake shoes and am attempting to determine the "primary" and "secondary" shoes. Scoured the FSB site and so far no joy! Also, the actual thickness of the friction material is different on one pair of the four shoes included in the box. Would the thicker friction material be the primary shoe and would that shoe be positioned toward the front? I have read so many differing opinions on the web I can't even think straight.
Thank you very much for a clear path on tackling this project. I'm stalled at this point

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,879 Posts
The one with the half moon guide clip for the adjusting tensioner cable goes towards the back.

See here the item listed as parking brake link? See how it has a spring on one end? The spot that spring end goes is different than the other shoe where the unsprung end goes. Also notice the primary shoe lining doesnt come as close to 12 o'clock as the secondary shoe lining.

·
Super Moderator
30,846 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's Big Blue94 &miesk5, that helps a lot. The rear brakes on this truck I'm working on were pretty torn up. Leaking wheel cylinders, burned out shoes with lining broken off and metal scorched from drum contact plus a whole lot of lining dust, mud, and years of neglect. I gotta get a solvent sink and bead blaster! I've been working with a ratty old Clymer's shop book and it has been--------challenging.
Thanks for the assist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts