Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 96 has a vent & check valve on top of the tank which lets air into the tank and sends vapors to the canister.

What about the cap?
Is the cap completely sealed?
Does the cap vent?
Does it allow atmosphere to enter the tank?
Thanks, Paul

·
Super Moderator
25,804 Posts
yo Paul,
For a 96 Bronco, correct? (see your post on the fuel gauge sender where you mentiuoned afy aux tank)
The fuel fill cap is sealed and includes a built-in pressure-vacuum relief valve. Fuel system vacuum relief is provided after 3.5 kPa (0.50 psi) and pressure relief after 11.0 kPa (1.6 psi). Under normal operating conditions, the fill cap operates as a check valve, allowing air to enter the tank as fuel is used, while preventing vapors from escaping the tank through the cap.

My 96's cap's gasket became rock hard and I got a P0440; bought new from Ford for same price as a Stant, but the Ford cap has the tether strap on it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was wondering everytime I put gas it seems like there is certain amount of pressure that's released as I loosen it, is this normal ? Does anybody elses do that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was wondering everytime I put gas it seems like there is certain amount of pressure that's released as I loosen it, is this normal ? Does anybody elses do that.
I haven't noticed it with the Bronco with the factory or aftermarket locking cap. I've had other vehicles do it in the past, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts