Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,822 Posts
Questions I'm going to ask because I've seen this condition before a couple times.
1) Are you towing a trailer? And if so are the lights working properly? Were the running lights on?
2) Do you have brake light issues? Have you checked the bulbs?

I was towing a trailer once and had a faulty bulb. The running light filament broke and rested on the brake light filament. The computer thought the brakes were being applied and was unlocking the converter because the running lights were now applying the brake lights off and on during bumps.

Check your brake light bulbs. Same thing, if you have a faulty bulb that's doing the same thing as mentioned, it would act the same as me pulling my trailer.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,093 Posts
The e4od converter locks by an electronic circuit being grounded. The wire that controls this grounding can be found in the transmission harness and is purple with a yellow stripe. Grounding that wire locks the converter. I'd say you have a bare wire somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The e4od converter locks by an electronic circuit being grounded. The wire that controls this grounding can be found in the transmission harness and is purple with a yellow stripe. Grounding that wire locks the converter. I'd say you have a bare wire somewhere.
Thanks is there a soleniod, tps or anything such as that would have any affect it in any way?
thanks

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,822 Posts
Thanks is there a soleniod, tps or anything such as that would have any affect it in any way?
thanks
TPS could be at fault as well. If it's sending off wide open throttle signals, the converter should unlock.

·
Super Moderator
23,882 Posts
Yo diehardfordtruck,
As advised, and some other possibilities:
E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
If it's flashing while driving, scan it or have it scanned for Codes.

"..It's not that the engine problem causes the transmission problem, it's just that engine problems can easily be mistaken for transmission problems. If you have a shudder under load it could be a problem with the converter clutch, or it could be due to a problem with the EGR system causing the engine to misfire under load. If the converter clutch is unlocked and slipping the converter slippage can mask the misfire, and when the converter locks the misfire is noticable because the converter slip is gone. I would definitely take care of the EGR system first since it can cause misfires, and is likely to be much less expensive to repair than a transmission problem..." Page 2
Source: by Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC becontrols.com

As sackman9975 mentioned;
Multi-Function Switch (MFS), Hazard & Brake Light MAY Disengage E4OD Torque Converter Lock-up; "...I was living with the torque converter unlocking with the R/H turn signal. And low and behold after I changed the L/H brake/turn signal bulb the torque converter stopped unlocking with the R/H turn signal. Don't ask me but it did fix it..."
Source: by Mike G

If a malfunction occurs in the throttle position sensor circuit, the powertrain control module will recognize that the throttle position sensor signal is out of specification. The powertrain control module will then operate the E4OD transmission at a higher line pressure to prevent transmission damage. This high line pressure causes harsh upshift and engagements. Used as an input to determine shift scheduling and electronic pressure control.​
Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel, abnormal shift schedule, abnormal or no torque converter clutch operation. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.​
Diagnostic Trouble Codes: P0121, P0122, P0123, P1120, P1121, P1124, P1125.​

Manual Lever Position (MLPS) also called Transmission Range (TR) Sensor. Some of the problems the MLPS can cause are wrong gear starts, TCC hunting, no 4th gear, engine stalling, high or erratic line pressure & a sudden neutral condition; The negative lead of the multimeter should be placed at the MLPS signal-return ground terminal at the MLPS...This sensor is responsible for more malfunctions than any other sensor in the sys- tem, and the kicker is that it seldom stores a code 67 or 634..."
Source: by Pete L

Transmission Range (TR) Sensor:
Description: The powertrain control module sends voltage to the Transmission Range (TR) sensor. The TR sensor incorporates a series of step-down resistors which act as a voltage divider. The powertrain control module monitors this voltage which corresponds to the position of the gearshift selector lever (P, R, N, (D), 2 or 1). The powertrain control module uses this information to determine the desired gear and electronic pressure control pressure. The TR sensor is located on the outside of the transmission at the gearshift selector lever.​
Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel.​
Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 634, 654, 667, 668, P0705, P0707, P0708, P1705.

MLPS TEST w/ Connector Pin Diagram w/colors by the Man With a Plan, RLA

And sorta like what BigBlue 94 mentioned;
Multi-Function Switch (MFS), Hazard & Brake Light Disengage E4OD Torque Converter Lockup in 2009 MY; miesk5 NOTE; but could be applicable to earlier years; "...Alternative connections or wiring practices are not recommended as certain modifications may result in other circuits becoming nonfunctional...Do not splice into the Powertrain System (PCM PCMV). Connecting to any component or wires to this system may adversely affect Engine/transmission operation..." read more
Source: by fleet.ford.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts