Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 302ci 5-speed Manual transmission 4x4 127,000 miles
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Greetings from western Colorado to all the Ford warriors! I picked up a Bronco for $5k when I was out and about...getting it ready for my son who's 16. I'd kinda like to keep it myself though! Lol.

1996 Ford Bronco 302cu, 5-speed Manual transmission. 127k miles.

Problem: No reverse lights (both sides) and no 6-wire trailer plug power either. I have power at the #5, 15-amp fuse in the power distro under the hood. I think both of these accessories work on this same fuse circuit (15 amp). Which makes sense since neither have power.

I've inspected everything from fuse box to rear lamps and bulbs that I can see from above and underneath and all appears good. I also changed the bulbs with new ones.

I've tested with a Voltmeter from the ground wire at the end of the left/driver side reverse plug lead to the power location at the fuse and I get 12v. So the ground is good at the light harness.

I've also run a Ohm meter from the same ground wire on the plug side to the frame and I have continuity there also. So ground seems good everywhere.

And when the 15 amp fuse is in and the truck is in Reverse there is 12v flowing across the fuse. When not in Reverse there is not 12v at the fuse. So it seems to be engaging voltage correctly when in Reverse.

Something is not allowing power flow after the fuse/power distro to the reverse lamp and the trailer plug. But everything else works good.

Is there a relay or switch between the fuse and plugs from anything (like my manual 5-speed transmission) that would cause one/both accessories to go out?

Parts houses are only showing a neutral safety start switch, and I think that's inside the clutch housing, so hopefully that's not the issue. It starts and runs fine though.

Any suggestions how to narrow down the issue?

Thanks much. Will buy ya a brew and/or smoke if ya help me fix it! Lol

·
Super Moderator
29,132 Posts
Yo Ylekyote,
Welcome!
For now here's the wiring diagrams, etc. My internet explorer / Google is stuck in dark mode and it is giving me headaches. Will bbl.
Above by Ford

By Ford via member Roadkill (The Beast)

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links), includes "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

See our Sites' FAQs, includes for example:
How to add your Signature
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery

Try to find time to participate and vote in our Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.

Al

·
Super Moderator
29,132 Posts
Yo,
more.

ItemPart NumberDescription
1Switch Tab (Part of 664D0 Clutch Pedal Position Switch)
2Plastic Retainer
(Part of 664D0 Clutch
Pedal Position Switch)
3Orientation Clip
(Part of 7A543 Clutch
Master Cylinder)
4Push Rod (Part of 7A543 Clutch Master Cylinder)
511A152Clutch Pedal Position Switch
6Wiring Harness (Part of 14401 Main Wiring)
7Pin (Part of 664D0 Clutch Pedal Position Switch)
87A543Clutch Master Cylinder

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I have a manual transmission, seems to be called a "M5OD".

It appears my problem may be the Backup lamp switch. I get power at the #5 fuse in Reverse but it's stopped between there the bulb harness somehow. Is this switch on the driver's side of the transmission housing? If ya know...

Is it the same schematic as the wiring diagrams show for the Transmission Range Sensor?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: today I injected 12v into the back of the socket (via test pin) and the lamp comes on. I've triple checked all wiring grounds at all plugs and they are good.

I've jumped the Manual transmission backup lights switch (2 lead plug connected to side or transmission) and that made no difference either...still no backup lamps when in Reverse. It had power on feed end of plug also when I turned ignition key.

There seems to be a break in continuity from the outgoing side of the fuse box to the lamp socket. The wire must be open because no shorts seem to be occurring or the fuse would likely burn.

Is there another switch or relay I'm missing between the fuse box and the rear backup light socket?

If I can't figure it out I may simply add a fused and manually switched 12v from #5 15amp fuse down the frame rail to the lamp socket and bypass the whole damn thing. Then I can operate them when I want, even if not in Reverse. Such as when someone is riding my ass, lol.

Does anyone have any inputs for this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just noticed I don't have these two trailer relays...the two inside the same dotted line box labeled "85". I have a 6-wire trailer plug on the hitch, which the previous owner said worked, but I don't have these relays. Are they required???

I'm not sure if they're the same as the one marked "86".

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed this today. These two relays are missing. They're for Trailer backup and trailer charge power.

I don't recall if the 6-wire has backup lamps and charge functions as I've never used one. I've always had 7-wire plugs.

Are these relays necessary for anything with my rig? I don't see a reference in manual as to type of relays. I'm not sure if same or different as any others. Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram Slope Wood Gas Engineering Machine Metal Fixture Household hardware Gas Circle Metal

·
Super Moderator
29,132 Posts
Yo Ylekyote,
The clutch pedal position switch (CPP) (11A152) is near the clutch pedal. Depressing the clutch pedal manually closes the clutch pedal position switch and allows engine cranking. The clutch pedal position switch will also deactivate the speed control system when the clutch pedal is depressed.

HAS THIS BEEN DONE?
"...by 96 Ford was lazy and they weren't going to install two wiring harness' for tow vs non tow. So the people paying for the tow package basically paid a $1000 for a $10 plug and 1 foot of wiring since the other stuff was there either way.
Some people say the trailer brake relays aren't installed or if they are there they aren't hooked up. Mine were not only there but hooked up from the factory. Probably older years at some point didn't have them.

There's a plug under the middle left of the dash that you can get a connector from any place that sells trailer brakes so you can plug in your brake controller.

In the back under the bumper are two round plugs going to nothing.
One of these round plugs can be used for the simple 4 pin trailer connector and you can buy a plug and play harness for this.
However this won't give you brakes for a big trailer that requires the 7-blade plug.
The only factory 7 blade plug is the one ford made and its $116

Buy and plug this in and you're done.
Or for like $15 you can buy a 7-blade plug from any trailer/hitch store and splice it in to Fords 2 round plugs.
As already mentioned the one ford plug is for left turn, right turn and trailer brake lights.
The other plug has 3 wires. The big blue one is for the trailer brakes that work in conjunction with the brake controller you put up front under the dash.
The big orange one is your 12v wire and the small black with green stripe is your reverse/aux lights.
Splice those 3 in to your 7-blade plug and you're good to go.
That's all I had to do.
As stated though as some point the ealier years didn't get the relays under the hood, so you're just going to have to look for 4 big relays next to the main fuse box under the hood. Of those 2 are related to the tow package.
If you don't have those relays then you're going to have to do more work to get the trailer brake tow package to work."
by AARON @ Adding a 7 blade trailer tow package to a 96.

Will try to figure this situation out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I may be reading the replies wrong but I haven't figured out the issue yet.

*** What failure points, not including the wiring itself, could interrupt both Reverse Lights as well as the 6-wire trailer plug, and the OBD scanner plug, or at least the Reverse lights? The check engine light is on, but I can't read the code due to the OBD scanner port not having connection.

All other items/accessories/lights on the 96 Bronco are working. And it's starting and running good also. Previous owner said Reverse lights, trailer plug and OBD scanner plug worked a few weeks ago before I bought it. I assume he's not lying, but he's not giving me any helpful info. But I can see someone had removed some 12v supply insulation at the Left reverse light to check for power...so someone screwed around with it at some time.

I've already checked the single 15-amp fuse (slot #5) under the hood, all relays under the hood, the manual transmission reverse position switch (and jumpered it), visually checked all points of wire I can see, and confirmed the ground is good all down the wire and at the bulbs.

I also checked and confirmed 12v at the harness feeding the reverse position switch and its ground.

The problem seems to be the 12v is not making it past something, like another switch or splice I don't know of, that's located between the fuse box and the split where 12v goes to the trailer plug and the Reverse lights.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,333 Posts
It sounds like you don't have a factory tow package, meaning any trailer wiring is tapped in who knows where. I would focus on investigating that, rather than the reverse lights, as that add-on is the likely culprit affecting both. If it's anything like how mine was done, you shouldn't have too hard of a time following the wires underneath.

It's also worth checking your VIN sticker to be sure it was a factory M/T. I don't know how rare those were by '96, but it's possible that was a conversion. In which case, making sure they hooked up the M/T harness and clutch safety switch properly would be worthwhile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts