Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was living in Seattle I sold the bronco I did have to drive down to Eugene Oregon purchase this vehicle.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the truck started out as a one owner government vehicle from the Portland area. When I found it I couldn't pass it up. I have pictures of the original title from 1996 to verify the ownership.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the first things I did was install the expensive protofab bumper. There were a few issues but overall it's a very nice bumper.

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, Threat Motorsports 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB front locker, Yukon .456 gears
379 Posts
whats that black handle looking thing on the door?:)

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Drove pikes peak and the royal gorge bridge. I almost pooped myself because of both. Brake fade is real, even when you put it into first gear

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Had my worn vinyl seats covered in tweed. They were supposed to look like the lightning seats but came out more but racer. He gave me a discount so I kept them. Also installed the center seat from a f250 so I have the 40/20/40 bench now.

Also shaved my drip rails and had all the seams in the doors welded up.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

New radio, speakers, and led bulbs for the gauges.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Went back to rocky mountain national park and installed led tail lights

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Got the roof painted black. Traded @BigBlue 94 some things to install my headers. Got it tuned. Everything is still stock minus the exhaust but the torque numbers are great.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought a shit ton of parts. These have been sidelined to do a full motor rebuild.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dropped the gt40 heads off to be ported. Now I'm trying to find the best pistons and rods to do a 357 build with raised compression. according to the guy porting theme, they will be close to afr 165 heads. Also trying to find roller rockers to use. Scorpions are.... expensive.

The guy doing the porting is an old school hot rodder and like 85 years old. He loves the fact I'm building and restoring this bronco. He gave me a free book too. He wrote it. He really knows his stuff.

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, Threat Motorsports 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB front locker, Yukon .456 gears
379 Posts
So whats he plan for this thing?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So whats he plan for this thing?
357 with 10:1 compression. Or something close to that. Eventually I want to do a 6r80 swap. I need you guys to get everything sorted before I mess with it. About to do a solid axle swap. I was leaning towards an obs axle but based on the price of piecing everything together it's making more sense to get the desolate kit for $4000. And it's pretty damn complete. I have these ready to go on. Bought them last spring before I got laid off. 37 km3 tires.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Cool. Looking forward to your build. I considered the SAS but opted for the cut and turned D44. One reason is I don't want a 6 inch lift and two I like the handling and ground clearance of the IFS. I don't think I will be beating on it although I did do the D50 stub and HD u joints while I was in there. I'm pretty sure I have the 6R80 adapting worked out. I wont get to the controller and shifting until I get the body back on. I think I'm going to make or adapt a center console to mount the shifter in.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool. Looking forward to your build. I considered the SAS but opted for the cut and turned D44. One reason is I don't want a 6 inch lift and two I like the handling and ground clearance of the IFS. I don't think I will be beating on it although I did do the D50 stub and HD u joints while I was in there. I'm pretty sure I have the 6R80 adapting worked out. I wont get to the controller and shifting until I get the body back on. I think I'm going to make or adapt a center console to mount the shifter in.
I would do the ttb but I want to run 37s. I'll mainly be "over landing". My truck is too pretty to get scraped up on the trails. But I've always been a solid axle person.

On that 6r80 is there any chance of using a column shifter?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,387 Posts
I run 37s on my TTB...

I think my 351 build lists the pistons I used for 10.5:1. They were generic KB silvolites.

Im using the KB N351 (IMCA/sportsman 351w) step dish pistons in my 300 for 9.75:1

If money is not on the short end, I would do a CnT TTB in a heartbeat. For overlanding, there isnt a better option. Its the smoothest suspension out there. My simple bracket lift with extended radius arms gives just as much travel as a SAS would. I can get the front tire 30" off the ground with the other 3 still planted.

A solid axle is gonna ride rough, especially on old washboard roads that are often travelled when overlanding.

Reactions: SHOme

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I run 37s on my TTB...

I think my 351 build lists the pistons I used for 10.5:1. They were generic KB silvolites.

Im using the KB N351 (IMCA/sportsman 351w) step dish pistons in my 300 for 9.75:1

If money is not on the short end, I would do a CnT TTB in a heartbeat. For overlanding, there isnt a better option. Its the smoothest suspension out there. My simple bracket lift with extended radius arms gives just as much travel as a SAS would. I can get the front tire 30" off the ground with the other 3 still planted.

A solid axle is gonna ride rough, especially on old washboard roads that are often travelled when overlanding.
I remember you saying that but don't remember the rest of the conversation. Aren't 37s supposed to eat up the axles and wheel bearings?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I did read somewhere that there is a way but I haven't found it again, yet. I'll let you know if I do. From what I recall the PRND12 would just be D and 1 for sport mode. I can't remember if it used the tow haul button. Hillbilly might know.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,387 Posts
I put 50k miles on a TTB with 35s then 10k on the same with 37s and never had any issues.

My current 85 had 36s on the TTB when i got it. They were running them since 2003, with lockers, in colorado. Engine was rebuilt at the same time, and I just had to rebuild it again a couple years ago. So however many miles that is, 100k? 200k?

The only issue was the exploded wheel bearing that was my fault for over tightening.

@NickOille runs 37s on his trail rig on the TTB and beats the living snot out of it.

@cobrajoe plows snow with 38s and drives with 44s on his TTB.

So basically im saying that 37s are not a death sentence for TTB. Yes, they will put added stress on it, but only slightly more than 35s. My opinion is to use the best parts and you'll likely never have an issue.

Did you talk your engine build over with Dean? He undoubtedly would have some opinions.

Reactions: cobrajoe
1 - 20 of 42 Posts