Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, Threat Motorsports 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB front locker, Yukon .456 gears
379 Posts
I don't think 37s will hurt the TTB for overlanding. That 4k will get you a complete cut and turned lift deavers, shackle flip, and rear shock relocation. But I see there are lots of holes in your new wheels.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I put 50k miles on a TTB with 35s then 10k on the same with 37s and never had any issues.

My current 85 had 36s on the TTB when i got it. They were running them since 2003, with lockers, in colorado. Engine was rebuilt at the same time, and I just had to rebuild it again a couple years ago. So however many miles that is, 100k? 200k?

The only issue was the exploded wheel bearing that was my fault for over tightening.

@NickOille runs 37s on his trail rig on the TTB and beats the living snot out of it.

@cobrajoe plows snow with 38s and drives with 44s on his TTB.

So basically im saying that 37s are not a death sentence for TTB. Yes, they will put added stress on it, but only slightly more than 35s. My opinion is to use the best parts and you'll likely never have an issue.

Did you talk your engine build over with Dean? He undoubtedly would have some opinions.
Yeah Dean pretty much said do whatever seibert wants to do lol. He said I can't go wrong there. I just have a hard time paying $3000 for some simple machining. I'm looking for a cheaper builder.

Good to know about the axles. I might build my 8.8 then. I want the desolate ttb stuff but mannnnn. That is expensive for the extended width one.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I haven't seen a 6R90 conversion done using a column shifter. I believe you are correct that it would use D and 1 for sport mode. The tow/haul mode switch would be used just like originally designed to disable overdrive. Which overdrive gears it disabled would be a programmable function of the controller. I can not say for sure that the indicator would line up correctly because the travel distance between detents is different.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,283 Posts
I put 50k miles on a TTB with 35s then 10k on the same with 37s and never had any issues.

My current 85 had 36s on the TTB when i got it. They were running them since 2003, with lockers, in colorado. Engine was rebuilt at the same time, and I just had to rebuild it again a couple years ago. So however many miles that is, 100k? 200k?

The only issue was the exploded wheel bearing that was my fault for over tightening.

@NickOille runs 37s on his trail rig on the TTB and beats the living snot out of it.

@cobrajoe plows snow with 38s and drives with 44s on his TTB.

So basically im saying that 37s are not a death sentence for TTB. Yes, they will put added stress on it, but only slightly more than 35s. My opinion is to use the best parts and you'll likely never have an issue.

Did you talk your engine build over with Dean? He undoubtedly would have some opinions.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,387 Posts
Yeah Dean pretty much said do whatever seibert wants to do lol. He said I can't go wrong there. I just have a hard time paying $3000 for some simple machining. I'm looking for a cheaper builder.

Good to know about the axles. I might build my 8.8 then. I want the desolate ttb stuff but mannnnn. That is expensive for the extended width one.
I paid 3500 to have my 300 rebuilt, with me supplying the rods, pistons, cam, gaskets, etc. Builder bought the big valves and pushrods. That included head assembly, crank straightening, line honing twice (read: bent crank), and balancing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I paid 3500 to have my 300 rebuilt, with me supplying the rods, pistons, cam, gaskets, etc. Builder bought the big valves and pushrods. That included head assembly, crank straightening, line honing twice (read: bent crank), and balancing.
Yeah I actually found another builder yesterday. Ed Curtis recommended someone who is ironically in the Ozarks. 1/3 the price of seibert. He said $1150 on machine work only vs $3000 for machine work. So needless to say I'll be going there. If ed says he's good, he more than likely is. Onlu thing now is he's pushing me to do a 408 and I already have that lightning intake and gt40 heads. They'll choke a 408. He said the extra $100 in the rotating assembly is worth it. So now I'm back to looking at that. Those gt40 heads will choke that 408 bad, even if Dean is porting them. I guess they could just move the power band down lower like I want 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,387 Posts
Yeah I actually found another builder yesterday. Ed Curtis recommended someone who is ironically in the Ozarks. 1/3 the price of seibert. He said $1150 on machine work only vs $3000 for machine work. So needless to say I'll be going there. If ed says he's good, he more than likely is. Onlu thing now is he's pushing me to do a 408 and I already have that lightning intake and gt40 heads. They'll choke a 408. He said the extra $100 in the rotating assembly is worth it. So now I'm back to looking at that. Those gt40 heads will choke that 408 bad, even if Dean is porting them. I guess they could just move the power band down lower like I want 🤷🏼‍♂️
Those heads will not choke a 408, of your low end desires, out at all. The one place they will suffer is above 4000 rpms. A 408 is 51 cubes per cylinder. My 300 is a scosh bigger at 51.5 cubes per cylinder and im running a crappy U-port head with no porting done at all. I have more torque than one could ask for. Once Dean is done with them, you will basically have a set of AFR quality of heads.

Call up Comp or Schneider cams and tell em you want low end grunt. Honestly, comp 35-512-8 or 35-514-8 would be perfect for your desire of low end torque. The 512 stick ran in my 351 at 475 Ft/lbs at the graph minimum of 2000 rpms.

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, Threat Motorsports 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB front locker, Yukon .456 gears
379 Posts
I spent $1445 on machine work recently. This included clean,Mag,bore, align hone, deck, install cam bearings and balance engine. Im running AFR 185 with Comp cams 35-351-8 and Edelbrock truck intake. I followed SeatleFSB recipe. He had proven results that put me at ease.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I spent $1445 on machine work recently. This included clean,Mag,bore, align hone, deck, install cam bearings and balance engine. Im running AFR 185 with Comp cams 35-351-8 and Edelbrock truck intake. I followed SeatleFSB recipe. He had proven results that put me at ease.
What kind of numbers were you generating?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Still frame off. I want to know as bad as you. Check this out if you haven't already.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Still frame off. I want to know as bad as you. Check this out if you haven't already.

I have. I would expect something a bit less. I'll be running ported gt40s but I'll have a custom grind cam. No smog in missouri (besides st louis).

Reactions: SHOme

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Soon.
Originally I was going to do 37s with a super duty axle swap front and rear. got laid off and plans change. Getting rid of the 8 lug wheels and going to keep the ttb. Still going to run 37s. I'm going to do custom fenders. The rear should clear the 37s with a 4 inch lift.

So a few months ago I had the restomod store shave my drip rails. I'm going to have them customize my fenders. They will look like the fenders from autofab that @TCM GLX has on his. High clearance and will fit the 37s.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ordered new headlights. Black housing. Also ordered a new grille and headlight bezel to be painted the same black as my roof.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ordered a new front bumper from protofab. Now it'll match the rear.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Cha ching!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I know the feeling very well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
You will be smiling behind the wheel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
21 - 40 of 42 Posts