Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name's Morgan and I got my bronco last September. I saved my money up by working construction for my family business in the summers. My decision to get a bronco is kind of a long one.

My oldest brother used to have a 96 bronco xlt that was maroon with a grey stripe on the side. It was in almost perfect condition and had 9" of lift with 38" ssr's but then got 35" firestone mt's. It was a beauty. In i think 2008, he had it sent to my great uncles tire shop in Nashville to rebuild the steering column. A few days later we got a call that someone had stolen it, you could see the marks in the pavement where it was put on a rollback. About a month after that it was found in the woods somewhere below Manchester Tn, burned, with only the wheels and tires taken. Everything else was just burned. My great uncle had insurance for vehicles being stolen, but they didnt want to pay for it, so we ended up sueing them and got some of the money back. Fast forward to 2013, my brother, a year and a half older than me, bought a really awesome 86 GMC k5 jimmy, so i then had a taste for a real suv. Thus i ended up travelling all the way to sevierville Tn to get my bronco.

So my bronco is a 1996 Eddie Bauer with the 351w. Its got 198xxx miles and hardly any rust. There is some surface rust under the truck and a small spot on the bottom of the tailgate, but im fixin to paint the surface rust under it so its all good there. Here are some of my best pictures.

with decals

top off

with new 31" super swamper tsl's

Parking in front of my brothers k5 :goodfinge

I currently have done a pretty good tune up to the original engine. Changed oil, filter, air filter, plugs, plug wires, battery. I found out today that i'm pretty sure it had the original plug wires. My phone wouldnt focus on the wire but it says "1996" and on the other side it said motorcraft.

Also, the coil wire was was extremely corroded. It ran good before, but now its unbelievably smooth.

This weekend work will commence on the 6" superlift with quad shocks i got for christmas. Also i got 16" MT Classic IIIs with 315/75/16 Fierce attitude MTs. She will see offroad on occasion, but mostly my street queen

Luckily we got some experience installing the lift my brother got for christmas

so hopefully things will go as planned

·
Banned
21,364 Posts
It's a looker! :thumbup Does it have signal mirrors? Cargo cover &/or cargo net? Block heater? Oil cooler? Locking lug nut on the spare & matching key? Are the cab steps still solid?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys, it means a lot! And to answer your question Steve, it does have the locking nuts on the spare, the original two keys and two key fobs, I'm not sure what a block heater or oil cooler are, and the steps have a rot hole on the driver side on the metal tubing that supports it. I'm gonna cut about a 4" piece of pipe or so to replace it soon enough. It has the original floor mats and cargo mat, and also the original spare cover. Oh, and it has the tow package and quad shocks. No other uncommon options and/or accessories I cab think of

·
Banned
21,364 Posts
...it does have the locking nuts on the spare...
Only 1 should be locking - the other 2 should be normal lug nuts. Do you have the matching key for the locking nut?
...I'm not sure what a block heater or oil cooler are...
If it has a block heater, you'll find a common 110V plug under the hood, probably still taped into the wiring harness near the battery or overflow tank. You'll also see one of the freeze plugs has wires going to it (usually the one beside the starter). If it has an oil cooler, the lower radiator hose will have 2 smaller hoses branching off going to the oil filter.
I'm gonna cut about a 4" piece of pipe or so to replace it soon enough.
Do you mean you're going to try to weld in a 4"-long patch to the factory tubing; or do you mean you're going to remove the factory steps & install 4" OD nerf bars?
It has the original floor mats and cargo mat...
There was no original cargo mat. Just 2 front floor mats with the EB script glued into the nap, and a single strip for the rear passengers. If it's a molded plastic cargo mat, you should see a brand name molded into it.
No other uncommon options and/or accessories I cab think of
What about the signal mirrors? The only ways to tell are: 1) turn the key & a blinker on, get OUT of the truck (you can't see it from inside), and look through the mirror glass; or 2) look at the wiring connector behind the door panel.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/577127
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/669413

What about overhead console (working) & dual visors?

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
588 Posts
Am I the only one who caught the fact that him and his brother got lift kits for Christmas? Are your parents looking to adopt?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry i haven't got back to y'all, I've been hooked on the Walking Dead show and I haven't done much else haha.

Steve, I will get back to you tomorrow on everything, its too dark too check everything out now.

Thanks for the complements everyone and yes the old scout :D. She's been in the family a long time. My dad and oldest brother started to restore it before he got his bronco. They almost finished. That is actually where i got the super swampers off of. They were both 5 lug and looked a lot cooler so i asked my dad if we could swap em on. They had less than 500 miles on them and have sat for a little over ten years and unbelievably dont have a single sign of dry rot! Now dont get me wrong, they rode like a freight train and had a lump in em. But after driving them for about a month and half they run pretty smooth now, a tad lumpy at certain speeds but it aint too bad. Let me know if you guys want some pics of the scout cause i know they are a rare breed these days

kyboy91, by saying what are my plans, do you mean what stuff do i plan to put on it or what i plan to use it for?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So we got quite a bit of work done yesterday on the lift. We put on the rear blocks and put the axle brackets on the front. The moog radius arm bushings will be here tuesday. Also have moog sway bar links to put on. Any advice you guys have is welcome here :D, I just dont want to miss anything that is hard to notice.
Pulling into the shop

Rear before

Rear all painted up with blocks

Steve83,
here is the spare with "1" locking nut :D. I do not have the key for it.

I forgot to look about the block heater and oil cooler.
Do you mean you're going to try to weld in a 4"-long patch to the factory tubing; or do you mean you're going to remove the factory steps & install 4" OD nerf bars?
I meant weld in a 4" patch piece to the factory tubing, or maybe even longer sections.
There was no original cargo mat. Just 2 front floor mats with the EB script glued into the nap, and a single strip for the rear passengers. If it's a molded plastic cargo mat, you should see a brand name molded into it.
I guess its just a molded mat and two tan floor mats. The guy i bought it from said it was factory so i just listened. It does have the carpet strip for the rear passengers though. I replaced the front with some browning floor mats cuz the other ones were pretty nasty. It doesnt have signal mirrors and it does have the dual visors and console. The right lamp on it doesnt work, but everything else on it does.

Heres some pictures of the wheels and tires. Cant wait to get them mounted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lift kits for christmas? You are quite lucky haha... I'm only 17 myself and got a '94 about a month or 2 back, but because of lack of spare cash and even worse, lack of tools, I couldnt really get anywhere with it but with christmas and A lot of overtime I got some cash to spend so I'm starting to get to work this week. Looking forward to see where this build goes and sorry to hear about the old '96
Cheers

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks MuddyWindsor, I feel very fortunate to be able to get all of this stuff and all the help I'm getting from my dad, pawpaw, and brothers. I like knowing that there are plenty of other people my age that have a love of broncos. I've been a GMC man my whole life, but I just find myself infatuated with Ford Broncos. Hurry up and get your build thread going man!

·
Banned
21,364 Posts
Rear all painted up with blocks...
I don't know much about lifts :rolleyes:, but I'm pretty sure you have the wedge in the wrong spot. AFAIK, it belongs on the axle pad - not on top of the block. :shrug
...locking nut :D. I do not have the key for it.
Don't destroy it - they're rare, and any decent shop should have the tool set to remove that nut properly. The keys can be found, but they're even-rarer. They're color-coded, but I don't know the colors for that one. Did the truck come with the original owner's manual pack? There should be a McGard card in it with the key colors, like this:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/544845
I meant weld in a 4" patch piece to the factory tubing...
Considering that the tubes rust from the inside out, I doubt you'll make it any better, if you can even get any weld to stick.
...two tan floor mats. ... I replaced the front with some browning floor mats cuz the other ones were pretty nasty.
Try hosing them out thoroughly, including PurplePower/SimpleGreen - you might be surprised how clean they can get. Some people even use a pressure washer (coin-op car wash), but I've had very good results just with a garden hose.
It doesnt have signal mirrors...
Surprising, but oh, well.
...console. The right lamp on it doesnt work...
Are the lamp buttons soft like the MODE button, or do the lamp buttons click mechanically? Have you tried swapping the bulbs? Are they the tube-style bulbs, or the fat wedge-base bulbs?
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/22468

Where in TN are you?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The superlift instructions say to put the block under the factory wedge, but everywhere I look on here it says to put the block on top so that's what I'll do, thanks. I'll find a way to keep that locking nut. My truck is in our shop right now so I don't know about the lamp just yet, but I will soon. Middle tn

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got some more work done on the lift kit.

Fixed the wedge

Primed coil springs yesterday

Got two coats of ford blue on tonight

Sway bar painted

I also have new moog sway bar bushings and moog radius arm bushings to install.

We plan on having the lift done by the weekend. Im going to order blue shock boots to match. I considered painting the shocks black, but i think im going to keep them white so they stand out

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks dude!

I guess its time i wrote what i plan on adding to my truck. Here is the list i have compiled in no particular order:

new front bumper
chrome westin bull bar
rear bumper from newer f250
new headlights
new taillights and led brake light
paint spare carrier
some sort of custom grill
paint wipers black
new weatherstripping around
window tint
new windshield
fully custom center console
reupholstered seats
steering wheel recovered
paint everything on bottom
wheel well lights w/switch
custom puddle lights
spare tire cover
have top painted
detail engine bay
fix leaks on engine
hub bearings
either cab lights or light bar with kc's
good sound system
dual exhaust
matching spare
drop hitch

Of course i know this is gonna be a lot of time and money so it'll be a while before i check everything off

1 - 20 of 95 Posts