Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a bit of refresh under the hood to include new water pump, t-stat, hoses and vacuum lines changing to silicone. It appears to me that the OE thermostat housing is about 30 degrees and I'd like to install a 45 so the hose clears the belt a little more. Does anyone agree with the angle of the stock housing?

I've seen many different 45 degree housings from stainless steel to Chinese chrome plated junk, which I wouldn't touch. There's a really nice housing at PerformanceSST.com, but they're not cheap. Does anyone know of a quality aluminum housing that would at least equal the quality of the OE piece to fit my 96 5.8?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I tried a 45 deg from my stang on the 95 5.8 engine .hose interfered with the air intake tubing.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
I just twist the hose where it attaches to the radiator as far as I can to lift it away from the belt and tighten it down like this. It's plenty far away when I do this but just to be on the safe side I also have a large piece of hose I split down the side and placed over the rad hose where it might get damaged and zip tied it in place. Still haven't got any damage to the hose protector after many years like this but I leave it in place just in case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I wondered how close a 45 would put the radiator hose to the intake tube. My engine is OE but my radiator is aluminum and not exactly in the OE location, so the hose off the upper neck is a little lower than the original.....not my design.

I'm changing to silicone hose so there will be a few segments for adjustment. Now that I think about it, does anyone know why the thermostat housing neck is for 1 1/2" hose and the rest of the system is 1 3/4" hose? It doesn't seem like the stock hose was any smaller ID at the housing end.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you fit that 90 degree hose connection? The 45 will clear the lower intake hose on my 96 but the 90 would go straight into the bottom of it?

I wonder why Billet doesn't make a 45 for the 351W?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts