Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone - I rigged up a lift in the garage today and was able to get the top off of my rig for the first time. Only had to drill out one bolt, so I view that as a success. That said, I want to put hex head bolts in when I put it back in so that I can trash the safety torx. What size threads are these, and what type of bolts are folks using?

Also, does anyone sell a bikini top for Broncos? I'm going to get a roll cage sooner rather than later and would like to keep whoever is in the back in the shade. I will probably have to have it made to fit decently and am wondering how to attach the front. Would be nice I could find a peice of metal/heavy plastic that fit the top rail of the roof and used the factory mounting points. Anyone have any ideas for this?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Really nice rig.

I just bought a replacement set of bolts and nuts from JBG. I want to say they are either hex or socket head but haven’t opened the box just yet. If you don’t get an answer before I go back to the garage, I’ll get you info.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found 'em! Thanks for the tip on JBG. I'll get some ordered so that I have them when ready to re-install.

·
Registered
731 Posts
8x70mm 1.5 Pitch Metric Bolts x 5 (front/vertical edges)
8x45mm 1.5 Pitch Metric Bolts x 12 (sides)

If you have an ACE Hardware near you they have the UClips and bolts in stock, that's where I got my set.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
1,995 Posts
The stock bolts are M8x1.25, if you don't want to replace the clips. Same size used on pretty much every Japanese car. Go with something probably an inch shorter than the stock torx bolts unless you love threading that much extra in.

I park outside and rain is a regular threat, so it's more a pipe dream than a plan, but I'd love to cut up an old hardtop to make a bikini top frame out of it. That would give you the attachment points you need.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you can get your hands on an old Hard top as fodder mentioned you can cut it up to use it as the connecting point with snaps or otherwise for your bikini top:

Unless the only ad remotely close to you is for a 950$ top 😂:

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
If you can get your hands on an old Hard top as fodder mentioned you can cut it up to use it as the connecting point with snaps or otherwise for your bikini top:

Unless the only ad remotely close to you is for a 950$ top 😂:
View attachment 153894
Not to mention they label it as 78-97. There is no 97, and that top wont even fit a 78 or 79. Also, I dont see a CHMTBL, so it's from a 80-91. On a 92 it would be illegal. And not have shoulder seat belt mounts.

I live a mile from a pile of like 5 toppers of all generations and one is a slider window set. I cant get a good look, but need to stop in and see if he wants to get rid of them. His only bronco ive seen was narrowed, 4 wheel steer, and set up purely for offroad. And I haven't seen it for a few years.

I'd like to cut up some tops and make a fastback, humvee style, but no roof. Kinda like the cheby avalanche has, but full length. Like a faux roll bar if you will. With the right ingenuity, you could build a number of awesome custom hard tops. Slant back, slant back open, half cab rear cover, half topper to cover rear seat, a few different soft top or convertible styles, etc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to Ace, but they didn't have everything I needed, so instead of driving all over town looking for some bolts, I just ordered the kit from JBG. I'm glad I did because after I got home, I noticed that nearly all of my retainer clips had vibrated loose and are probably lost forever inside the fender. I'll make sure to pop those out next time I take the top off (assuming I ever put it back on!).

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
1,995 Posts
The stock bolts are M8x1.25, if you don't want to replace the clips. Same size used on pretty much every Japanese car. Go with something probably an inch shorter than the stock torx bolts unless you love threading that much extra in.
Hopefully, it was clear I was exaggerrating there, from a place of pained annoyance. I found my notes and the stock bolts are 30mm long. I determined that 18mm is adequate and 20mm the obvious readily available safe target.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!!!

Just an update, ordering from JBG was a bust. I somehow missed that the kit I ordered was for '80-'91, so they didn't work (they are MUCH smaller) and I had to send them back. With shipping both ways, it was a $16 mistake. I was going to order the correct ones from JBG, but I found them on Amazon for half the price, so I went that route.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For all you topless types, are you putting down any molding over the exposed holes and clips once the top is removed? I almost found the end of the internet while looking for such molding with no luck. I would like to protect the bed rail and clean up the look a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been looking for a set of truck bed rail caps to modify like this. Either plastic or diamond plate. I'm not picky.
Screenshot_20200220-132107_Chrome.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts