Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my third try to get a FSB, I missed out on the $150 1983, had the $2000 1995 sold out from under me, now looking at a 1996, 5.8, one owner 140000 miles-$4000. The seller sent some pictures that show a floor mounted transfer case shifter, no pushbuttons on the dash. Is this a factory option, is the transfer case any different? Is it better or worse than the pushbuttons (I say better, my 74 doesn't have no girly pushbuttons:D) It does have auto hubs.
Thanks!

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Better then The pushbutton...Less electrical stuff to fail. Most likely is a factory option, just werent many. I 99% sure its a manual BW-1356....But i could be wrong.

The combination of a manual TC, and a new set of warn premium locking hubs will be a very reliable combination. I would say grab it, Especially for 4k. Go over eveything. Do a tune-up, Plugs, Wires, Cap rotor, And a fuel filter...The whole kaboodle right off the bat and that will leave less to go wrong down the road.

·
Registered
748 Posts
It's the same T-case as the push buttons are hooked up to. It's the Borg Warner 1356 with the lever instead. Not a problem at all with having the lever, it'll be more reliable then the push button style hookups.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Thanks Max, I know my Bushbutton is a 1356, And i didnt know if ford used the 1356 with a lever, Or all lever TC's in the late models were 1345 like the 250's and up..

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 96 has the same thing , manual transfer case but with manual hubs. The 96 351 also has a mass air fuel injection system, which is best if you plan on modifying the motor.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
the lever is much more reliable than the pushbutton. either way you have a 1356. in combination with some warn premium hubs, you will have a combo that is pretty much bulletproof for most people.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
10,000 Posts
i just changed my auto hubs (even tho they were ok) for the warn premiums based upon you guys talking about them being much more reliable...am i gonna have the same problem with my pushbutton selector...is that something that is a known failure item? i don't wanna have reliability problems, i drive my truck 80 miles to work everyday and with winter coming up here in ny, i wanna make sure everything is taken care of...should i be switchin to the manual selector? is that even possible?

thx.

jackhart

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Max said:
It's the same T-case as the push buttons are hooked up to. It's the Borg Warner 1356 with the lever instead. Not a problem at all with having the lever, it'll be more reliable then the push button style hookups.
Does this mean I can upgrade to the lever without changing transfer cases????

Please say it is so, since I have access to many broncos now that I am working with a used car dealer. (got a set of the lighted eddie b. 2 peice visors to swap out tommorrow.)

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Accessory Man said:
Does this mean I can upgrade to the lever without changing transfer cases????
No, the cases are slightly different externally and the internals are considerably different. The pushbutton uses a worm gear mechanism to move the shift forks around.

If you REALLY care I can give you links to pics of each.

Bottom line, you need a new manual shift 1356

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Keith someday we are going to have to swap out my push button, no problems with it yet, but I still hate it.

I am with everyone else, it is better to "know" that you have it in 4x4 than just relying on a dash light showing you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts