Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do they pull the cabs on 1997 and up F-150's? What kind of repairs require this?

·
Only the Bronco
973 Posts
I have never pulled a cab on a 97-up F150, the only cabs that I have pulled, have been on the 08-up superduties with the 6.4l diesel

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
My understanding is that the cab has to be pulled on any of the modular engines to do the cylinder heads and for motor swaps. Shoot Dustin a PM--he's a Ford Senior Master Tech. He should be able to clarify that for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well we had a guy run his 4.6L mod. outta oil in his expedition, and guess what, the whole body had to be removed to take the old out and get the new in. what a PITA.....

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
I gotta do the head gaskets someday on my '97, and lookin' at the tight fit, I want to pull the cab first.

Adrianspeeder

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
I, however, have heard of someone using a stud remover and unscrewing all the head studs, then somehow holding them in the head and above the block so that the head could be removed without removing the body. Now if that's true, I'd like to see what he did to hold the studs up.

·
Only the Bronco
973 Posts
If you know what you are doing, there are ways around pulling heads on the mod motors, I have done a few of them now, where the cab stays on, and to get the heads off (they are not studs, they are bolts) I support the bolts so that they do not stick put the bottom of the head using sections of sliced heater hoses. That is the way all of our techs at our shop who work on diesels and gas engines, do to hold the head bolts up while changing head gaskets.

I am a Senior Ford Technician myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts