Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1986 bronco with the 5.0 EFI engine. The bronco has 122k original miles on it and the engine fires right up and runs like butter, but it leaks like crazy. It sat for a LONG time and the guy I got it from spent the money getting it back running, but it leaks from every single place it can, valve covers, oil pan, rear main, oil even drips onto the pulley and gets slung everywhere, its a mess and I can't abide it anymore.

SO I have options here, but I wanted to get some feedback. The engine in the 86 is not a powerhouse by any means, I know I could spend a little money, find some new heads, and a cam then I have to be careful about valve clearance issues with my flat tops. I figure I can do this for around 5-600 bucks, put some new gaskets in it and stick it back in there and rock on... OR

I found a 1999 explorer 5.0 with 166k miles on it I can get the whole engine intake to drain plug for 500 bucks with a guarantee the engine is "good". I would still pull it apart and put new gaskets just because that's what I do. Also this engine has 30 more HP than my current engine, however I do understand I will have to have headers that work with the P style heads, but I planned on doing headers anyway.

My question, is will my 86 intake and EFI setup bolt to this 99 with no problems. I would probably do some port matching on the intake because that's free horsepower, and if the injectors off the 99 will swap with the 86 maybe do that. But if anyone has any advice on this I would appreciate it.

The end goal is to have a leak free, strong running , reliable engine. Not needing a hot rod, but that 86 5.0 is weak, even if it was new. Thanks

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,514 Posts
I think it's @Kingfish999 that has info on a lot of that stuff? There will be differences in IAC/ACT; can't remember what all else.

I would personally look for a '96-97 engine if going that route, as the non-P heads will allow you to run any common headers. With the '99 setup, I'm not aware of any heads available for purchase, so you might be looking at custom fabrication.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a thread that identifies some ford racing shorty headers that fit these heads on the FSB, they are stainless and reasonably priced around 300 bucks. As far as the IAC and stuff, wouldn't think that would matter if I was using my old intake. I also plan on doing away with the smog setup. I will look for a 96-97 engine, the issue is when I find one it costs as much to ship the thing to me as it does to make the purchase. Guess that's what I get for living in the sticks. Good stuff though, id hate to buy something I can't use, I have enough of that kind of stuff lying around already!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That, I don't know, guess id better check, but surely there is an option, a way to make mustang headers work, if you're somewhat skilled in cutting and welding. Im just trying to get most bang for my buck, like anyone else. All I know is when I was driving it down interstate and I would go up the littlest hill it would drop 10-15 MPH unless I got down on it, that's with 31" tires. Extra 30-50hp would make a nice difference.
As far as the IAT goes, still isn't that in the intake? If I am using my old intake that shouldn't matter. The only thing that may make a difference I would guess would be where some of the emissions go that may bolt into the block, but then again, I plan on shedding that AIR and smog stuff, what I can.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You should be able to bolt the factory truck intake to the explorer long block no problem. This should fix most of the sensor issues, make sure you get a new distributor with a steel gear as the explorer engine will be full roller. Explorer uses a different timing cover, accessories and water pump. I would look at switching this to the 87-96 truck serpentine setup.

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine I found comes with all the accessories, including the serpentine setup, but not sure if it would fit on the bronco or not. Would probably just stick with my old vbelt setup since all the hoses and lines I have are in really good, non leaking shape as far as AC and PS goes. Maybe I can then sell the intake and whatever else I don't need off the new engine to help recoup some of my costs.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
You can find them in the junkyard for about half of the asking price. I have seen them with as low as 85k miles. I agree with up above posts that I hit like on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can find them in the junkyard for about half of the asking price
Yeah, not around here you can't, I call around, if its older than 10 years it starts getting hard to find, 20 years....forget about it. Might get lucky and find a junker on craigslist, but I might be 6 months before that comes along. Maybe if I drove 4 hours in about any direction I might get lucky, which I have considered.

It makes me consider one of these reman jobs from like autozone or something, I can get a long block that's been remanufactured for under 2000 bucks and its all "new" with a warranty. Just a little leery of what the inside of a 200k 5.0 would look like, surely the heads would need to be reconditioned and the rest depends on how well the engine was taken care of, oil changes etc.

That puts me back to just pulling my engine, putting some new seals in it, throwing some headers and a dual exhaust and deleting the smog system and live with it.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
my 99 5.0 has 294k miles and runs perfect. the transmission didn't last long it's been out 3 times in it's life I guestimated. From what I seen the engine never even had a water pump change and the only gasket that has been off is the t-stat housing.

also pmed you a few 5.0s in jackson, ms

·
Man of endless projects
9,231 Posts
i would really avoid the 99. i would use www.car-part.com to find a 96. i recently bought one for 400$ + 75 core and 90 day warrenty.

the 99 injectors do not work. they swapped to a returnless fuel system with different flow and connector injectors. the 96-98 injectors are direct swap upgrade

the 96-early97 have regualr GT40 heads. late 97+ were GT40P. the GT40 are defiantly much more perfered because they are direct swap, you dont have to gamble with header fitment, using special plug wires, making a special socket to change plugs. been there did that, will never do that again. go with the sure thing. they both flow the same and while both have kinda crappy valve springs, the P are notoriously bad

your stock intake will fit either heads. but the 96-early97 have internal EGR style intake while later have an external EGR tube. you can sell the internal EGR intake to a mustang guy easier than the external EGR and that will help pay for your enigine

because Explroer 5.0 have a roller cam, you would need to change to a distributor with a steel gear instead of iron. also firing order will be 302HO/351W firing order

the accessories on the Explroer are very compact. you will probably need to go to e-fans because the mechanical fan will be too far from radiator to cool effectively. the power steering pump will need a custom hose. the A/C is in a different spot so will need custom hoses if you plan on running it. the alternator is technically a 4G alternator but similar to a 3G alternator which is a nice upgrade and is 130amp so much nicer than your stock 1G/2G alternator. you could reuse your existing accessories but that is your call and would need timing cover and waterpump replaced also.

i have not tried to use the Explroer oil pan but it may fit fine. i always replaced mine with a standard truck pan and pickup

i can understand why you might not like an engine with higher milage. the first Explorer engine i put in had about 170k miles on when it was rolled and ran amazing had no issues. i still did some basic stuff i do to any engine when pulled but it didnt need it. unfortunatly i killed it due to a sheared roll pin for the distributor gear causing oil pump to not pump. the second engine i bought a couple months ago i was not soo lucky on. whoever owned it did no maintenance at all. the waterpump was siezed due to buildup in the impeller and the oil was pudding. regardless i used it anyways, did new waterpump and timing cover, oil pump and pickup, did some flushes and it works great.

i feel a 5.0 in an Explorer has a pretty easy life to it being more powerfull and lighter of a vehicle. so if its maintained ok it should hold up a long time even when its higher milage

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would really avoid the 99. i would use www.car-part.com to find a 96. i recently bought one for 400$ + 75 core and 90 day warrenty.

the 99 injectors do not work. they swapped to a returnless fuel system with different flow and connector injectors. the 96-98 injectors are direct swap upgrade

the 96-early97 have regualr GT40 heads. late 97+ were GT40P. the GT40 are defiantly much more perfered because they are direct swap, you dont have to gamble with header fitment, using special plug wires, making a special socket to change plugs. been there did that, will never do that again. go with the sure thing. they both flow the same and while both have kinda crappy valve springs, the P are notoriously bad

your stock intake will fit either heads. but the 96-early97 have internal EGR style intake while later have an external EGR tube. you can sell the internal EGR intake to a mustang guy easier than the external EGR and that will help pay for your enigine

because Explroer 5.0 have a roller cam, you would need to change to a distributor with a steel gear instead of iron. also firing order will be 302HO/351W firing order

the accessories on the Explroer are very compact. you will probably need to go to e-fans because the mechanical fan will be too far from radiator to cool effectively. the power steering pump will need a custom hose. the A/C is in a different spot so will need custom hoses if you plan on running it. the alternator is technically a 4G alternator but similar to a 3G alternator which is a nice upgrade and is 130amp so much nicer than your stock 1G/2G alternator. you could reuse your existing accessories but that is your call and would need timing cover and waterpump replaced also.

i have not tried to use the Explroer oil pan but it may fit fine. i always replaced mine with a standard truck pan and pickup

i can understand why you might not like an engine with higher milage. the first Explorer engine i put in had about 170k miles on when it was rolled and ran amazing had no issues. i still did some basic stuff i do to any engine when pulled but it didnt need it. unfortunatly i killed it due to a sheared roll pin for the distributor gear causing oil pump to not pump. the second engine i bought a couple months ago i was not soo lucky on. whoever owned it did no maintenance at all. the waterpump was siezed due to buildup in the impeller and the oil was pudding. regardless i used it anyways, did new waterpump and timing cover, oil pump and pickup, did some flushes and it works great.

i feel a 5.0 in an Explorer has a pretty easy life to it being more powerfull and lighter of a vehicle. so if its maintained ok it should hold up a long time even when its higher milage

View attachment 165149
Wow, great info and that is one GROSS engine! Y'all got me talked out of the 98 up stuff, and I thank you all for this amazing information. I can tell you all pretty much the same nuances with SBC engines as that's what I grew up wrenching on for the most part. This is my second Windsor Ford.

Now if I could get input on one last thing. I have been rolling this around. I understand the 86 is not the ideal year engine due to the flat top pistons and of course in the bronco, its a non roller engine. I feel the main pinch point in my engine is the camshaft. I know the heads are not great, but I feel like they should make 230 hp and good torque as well with the right cam, a little port matching on the intake, headers, open exhaust, get rid of the smog system.
I am just trying to figure out what cam I can stick in here that fits the bill. From what I've read I should be able to use something with around a .450 lift and be OK, and that's considerably better than the .397 or whatever is in there now. So, new cam, open the breathing up, new seals in the engine, stick it back in there, that's Option 1...or Option 2 which is a 97ish Explorer engine, that ill need to do some of the same work to.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the deeper down this rabbit hole I go, the more I learn, so apparently I can't do much upgrading at all and use my current intake and Speed density system without it disagreeing with the changes. So, if I want to make any real changes aside from a few bolt on's ill have to upgrade to a MAF system, which is ridiculously expensive (seemingly anyway). So, looks like I may just be refreshing what I got and sticking it back in there for now unless there is a way to change over to MAF for half of what they are wanting to do it online (800 bucks).

·
Man of endless projects
9,231 Posts
cam swaps in the engines dont really gain much. you CAN do a better cam but it isnt really worth the hassle unless your doing a full rebuild anywasy. yes the Speed Density limits cam choices. but on a stockish engine i would not owrry too much about cam. there are a few to choose from that will gain abit

the 302 intake is great, the 351w intake is not. 302 intake flows similarly as the GT40 intake like the explorers use which are good intakesfor a stock engine

the heads are defiantly the weak spot. i dont know alot aboutthe 86 engines but there is something special about them that makes them crappy. not sure if it was less compression, crappy heads, different pistons or what exactly but something special on them make them not great.

the 86 EFI is pretty trashy. its kinda special setup compared to the later years because it was designed for use in a bullnose. really the wiring in Fords were pretty crappy till 92 when they decided to make it much cleaner and effective.

heads will defiantly help out. but even with GT40 heads, it will only gain about 20hp. good aluminum aftermarket heads will gain much more but cost more obviously

i liek stuff being done right. if i were going to change pistons i would have that engine compeltly tore down and bored out for new pistons. 122k miles is still a good amount of wear. your jsut hoping the cylinder bores are OK enough that with a quick hone the new pistons and rings will be fine. the block really needs to be machined bored for oversized pistons. and at that point i would be doing crank and bearings. and at that point your really putting alot of money into it

a 351w swap is always an option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cam swaps in the engines dont really gain much. you CAN do a better cam but it isnt really worth the hassle unless your doing a full rebuild anywasy. yes the Speed Density limits cam choices. but on a stockish engine i would not owrry too much about cam. there are a few to choose from that will gain abit

the 302 intake is great, the 351w intake is not. 302 intake flows similarly as the GT40 intake like the explorers use which are good intakesfor a stock engine

the heads are defiantly the weak spot. i dont know alot aboutthe 86 engines but there is something special about them that makes them crappy. not sure if it was less compression, crappy heads or what exactly but something special on them make them not great.

the 86 EFI is pretty trashy. its kinda special setup compared to the later years because it was designed for use in a bullnose. really the wiring in Fords were pretty crappy till 92 when they decided to make it much cleaner and effective.

heads will defiantly help out. but even with GT40 heads, it will only gain about 20hp. good aluminum aftermarket heads will gain much more but cost more obviously
I found a set of ported E7 heads that I can grab for 200 bucks, and the guy said he will stand behind them, but that gets us back into valve clearance territory, that is unless I keep the stock camshaft. Not sure how hogged out they are, if they are ported too much you can lose swirl and be just as bad as ports that are too small.

Now I just came across something, I may have wasted my money, but if any of you remember those JET performance chips? They made a universal one for fords, manual version and automatic, they still sell them on Summit and other sites for around 240 bucks, and still sell on the Jet website for 330 bucks, well somebody must be cleaning house on amazon because I just picked one up for 29 bucks (13 bucks after some rewards I guess I got from my wife shopping on there so much)...so, well play with that for now. Changes fueling, timing, shifting supposedly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

the heads are defiantly the weak spot. i dont know alot aboutthe 86 engines but there is something special about them that makes them crappy. not sure if it was less compression, crappy heads, different pistons or what exactly but something special on them make them not great.

i liek stuff being done right. if i were going to change pistons i would have that engine compeltly tore down and bored out for new pistons. 122k miles is still a good amount of wear. your jsut hoping the cylinder bores are OK enough that with a quick hone the new pistons and rings will be fine. the block really needs to be machined bored for oversized pistons. and at that point i would be doing crank and bearings. and at that point your really putting alot of money into it

a 351w swap is always an option.
From what im gathering, if at any point I wanted to do some serious power upgrades I would probably be better off putting a carb intake and one of those Holley sniper self tuning EFI kits on here and let that be the end of it, 1000 bucks and I can do whatever I want, just lose MPFI and that cool 5.0 intake.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I’m putting an 01 explorer in my 84 f150 but I’m also rewiring it to obdii. Fuel injectors do work, just have to swap the fuel rail and now you have a return line. Otherwise everything else I read I agree with.

move got the same 01 302 in my 01 sport Trac swap And I did one in my 96 bronco, but I swapped the whole front dress and upper intake And heads to that of an actual 96. Most explorers are grocery getters so this nice and clean when I get them

·
Man of endless projects
9,231 Posts
96-98 Explorer 5.0 injectors are a 19lb injector (same as our V8 trucks) and use a Jetronic style connector

99-01 Explorer 5.0 injectors are lower flow rating, seen different ratings 15-17lb (same as the 4.9 300) and use USCAR connector. lower flow rating might not sound like alot but thats about 11-22% less fuel flow. the o2 sensor might correct that but now fuel trims are off and might cause other issues

on a quick gogole search, it seems the 86 has E6 heads (which kinda suck some worse than already crappy E7). but also they have a true flat top piston with no valve reliefs. so you would have to notch valve reliefs in the pistons for any heads you swap to.

id say keep it stock or go to Explorer engine

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3"w/cat & magnaflow 3" side exit
145 Posts
My vote is to pull your factory 302 & re-seal it, & enjoy the truck for what it is, which is a big heavy truck. If you want to feel power, spend that extra cash on a sports car, not trying to make a big heavy truck feel like a sports car, cuz $10,000 later it will have more power than it did, and feel like a big heavy truck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My injectors are orange not creme colored
My Broncos however are creme colored since I used the ones that came with the truck. Hmmm...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts