Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My vote is to pull your factory 302 & re-seal it, & enjoy the truck for what it is, which is a big heavy truck. If you want to feel power, spend that extra cash on a sports car, not trying to make a big heavy truck feel like a sports car, cuz $10,000 later it will have more power than it did, and feel like a big heavy truck.
Hah, yeah, i know...i have a 530 hp corvette next to it if i wanna go fast. I just want the thing to go up a small louisiana hill (on interstate) without having to stab it to the floor to stay over 70.

The thing is I am about to do a lot of body work to it, it has bashed in drivers door and fender and the passenger fender needs to be replaced as well, so i was going to remove the entire front and do some cleaning, some suspension refreshening, all that fun stuff while i was in there, also slap some new paint on things. So, while i was in there and had room to move, figured i might see if i can find some cheap horsepower.

Now @Kingfish999 his post had a sentence at the end of it i hadn't really thought about "...or just swap for 351" and i didnt at first didnt have any desire because i immediately thought it would be too much sugar for a nickel, but after looking, it appears that may be the easiest move of them all. I can grab a 5.8 for about 6-800 bucks and a computer for 200...for 1000 bucks i can be set up with that extra displacement, torque, hp. Thats within my budget on this, and since my AOD is non electronic, any computer from an 88-92 should work (if i read that correctly).

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3"w/cat & magnaflow 3" side exit
145 Posts
I liked the 351 in my 85, but it was on a C6 trans vs the 302's AOD. I'm sure others have much more knowledge than me on this swap and trans compatibility. I like having the overdrive gear myself... On this 86, I spent a bit of time fine tuning in my TV cable so it kicks down without having to floor it. 1 tiny notch more & it shifts too hard and too late, but 1 notch the other way, & it lagged on hills, had to floor it to kick it down a gear. I used my calipers to measure my adjustments on that TV cable and with each notch, it moved 0.03 inches between notches, so i was making my adjustments, writing down my distance, then taking a drive until I found a happy place so it actually kicks down on hills without flooring it. Finicky trans adjustment, but there is a little bit of fine tune you can do on that AOD shift point pressure with the TV cable that may be a free, and acceptable compromise without spending on other things that open those big wormholes we have all fallen into before.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I liked the 351 in my 85, but it was on a C6 trans vs the 302's AOD. I'm sure others have much more knowledge than me on this swap and trans compatibility. I like having the overdrive gear myself... On this 86, I spent a bit of time fine tuning in my TV cable so it kicks down without having to floor it. 1 tiny notch more & it shifts too hard and too late, but 1 notch the other way, & it lagged on hills, had to floor it to kick it down a gear. I used my calipers to measure my adjustments on that TV cable and with each notch, it moved 0.03 inches between notches, so i was making my adjustments, writing down my distance, then taking a drive until I found a happy place so it actually kicks down on hills without flooring it. Finicky trans adjustment, but there is a little bit of fine tune you can do on that AOD shift point pressure with the TV cable that may be a free, and acceptable compromise without spending on other things that open those big wormholes we have all fallen into before.
Thats some good info there, thanks. I really am happy with my old bronco,(mainly due to its lack of rust!) this is my first old "truck" to mess with, have had several old muscle cars, mostly chevy but have had a ford up in there. I really enjoy working on the windsor motors, they are so simple, easier than small block chevy in my opinion. From all i can tell my trans is original, and never messed with, it has that low speed shudder that ive read about AOD's having, also the front pump leaks so im going to spend the money and have it rebuilt, then ill do like you suggested and fiddle with the TV cable.

·
Man of endless projects
9,231 Posts
you can use a 351w on an AOD but you need a speical flexplate. generally speaking 351 never came behind AOD but in a few rare occasions. but some people do it

if you get the AOD rebuilt, you might find a parts 4r70w so they can use it for internal parts and make a stronger better AOD and have 'wide ratio' gearset. the 4r70w parts are significantly better than the AOD and theres many threads on gogole about it. with rade ratio gears, it will have a decently lower 1st gear, somewhat lower 2nd gear for better acceleration. and has shallower OD ratio so it wont bog the engine as bad. that is soemthing i always questioned about ford was why give the weaker 302 an OD trans with a ratio so severe it bogs the engine to the point it can hardly maintain highway speeds. then give 351 which makes more power needed a non-OD trans till the E4OD.

87-91 computers and wiring are pretty similar. i cant really think of many differences in them. im not sure on differences between them and the 86 tho. in 90 they started coming with E4OD but you can find one for a manual. the earlier years like yours have diodes built into the wiring harness for IAC and A/C clutch and maybe something else, later years have them built into the components themsefls but i dotn think that will affect PCM too much. you can probably reuse the 86 wiring but i dont have a EVTM for 86 to verify differences.

you can use a newer 351 also. they pretty much did not change much till 96 where they changes some for OBD-II. they got roller cams in 94. they were still carb in 86. nothing on top of my head makes me think of any significant differences to be aware of

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
you can use a 351w on an AOD but you need a speical flexplate. generally speaking 351 never came behind AOD but in a few rare occasions. but some people do it

if you get the AOD rebuilt, you might find a parts 4r70w so they can use it for internal parts and make a stronger better AOD and have 'wide ratio' gearset. the 4r70w parts are significantly better than the AOD and theres many threads on gogole about it. with rade ratio gears, it will have a decently lower 1st gear, somewhat lower 2nd gear for better acceleration. and has shallower OD ratio so it wont bog the engine as bad. that is soemthing i always questioned about ford was why give the weaker 302 an OD trans with a ratio so severe it bogs the engine to the point it can hardly maintain highway speeds. then give 351 which makes more power needed a non-OD trans till the E4OD.

87-91 computers and wiring are pretty similar. i cant really think of many differences in them. im not sure on differences between them and the 86 tho. in 90 they started coming with E4OD but you can find one for a manual. the earlier years like yours have diodes built into the wiring harness for IAC and A/C clutch and maybe something else, later years have them built into the components themsefls but i dotn think that will affect PCM too much. you can probably reuse the 86 wiring but i dont have a EVTM for 86 to verify differences.

you can use a newer 351 also. they pretty much did not change much till 96 where they changes some for OBD-II. they got roller cams in 94. they were still carb in 86. nothing on top of my head makes me think of any significant differences to be aware of
So, we starting to check a lot of my boxes here, and whodathunkit would have led me to considering a 351 swap. If you don't mind id like to see if im checking all my boxes here for the swap. So...

1. 351w out of an 87-94 F150 (read that even the f250 up to 97 used speed density)
2. Need a special flex plate for 351 to AOD (read that some of the crown vics had this)
3. computer out of 87-92 5.8 f150 (manual)
4. Exhaust components (which I was going to change anyway)

That it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Looks like this should be the correct flexplate, I did some searching and came up with a ford number out of one of the other forums and cross matched it on some other sites, they also had a Motormite number, but that company is out of business, now its Pioneer products and its FRA205, I think this is it. 164 tooth 28oz imbalance.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts