Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.0 solo Motorsports leveling kit w extended radius arms 31x12.50 BFG’s
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on a first time trip to Colorado lake city area. Planning on a flat tow, big ? Is how will the 89 do above the tree line.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
You are fuel injected so the engine should be fine. Just remember these are huge, heavy beasts ....... going up is not an issue .... when coming down keep an eye on the brakes heating up. Pulling over and enjoying the view on the way down... is a must ... just don't be in a big rush getting down and riding the brakes.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 311K miles
1,690 Posts
You are fuel injected so the engine should be fine. Just remember these are huge, heavy beasts ....... going up is not an issue .... when coming down keep an eye on the brakes heating up. Pulling over and enjoying the view on the way down... is a must ... just don't be in a big rush getting down and riding the brakes.
My 2 Cents!!! Never, Never, Never ride the brakes (as stated above), ALWAYS Pump them going down hill and keep speed down on long declines. You can always try using/working the Trans to let the engine keep speed in check within reason. In regards to flat towing, "What"? "Weight"? This will cause a great stress on the engine/trans and cooling system going up hill and braking system going down hill as previously stated. You will need higher capacity/performance brake parts as in Pads, Rotors, Calipers and Fluid etc!!!!!

·
Registered
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.0 solo Motorsports leveling kit w extended radius arms 31x12.50 BFG’s
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info, fortunately I upgraded the tow rigs brakes to ceramics helped out a bunch pulling a 7000# boat. But I was not pulling it through the mountains. I’ve done a lot of trailer towing with trailer brakes sounds like I’ll just have to use my brain and not so much of the brake pedal!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tow rig is a 2010 Ford Expedition 5.8 or a 34’ motor home v10 haven’t decided yet, I don’t like to talk about the motorhome fuel prices make me itch!

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,889 Posts
Depending on routes taken, some pass roads have a very short length limit. Some limit to 35 feet (Independence Pass). The I.P. going down into Aspen from Leadville (dont drink the water) is a single lane wide at points with no traffic controlling devices. So be wise with your route.

Remove the broncos driveshafts to flat tow. It is safest.

Use your transmission to control your decent and use the brakes only when needed. I've towed my bronco on a 2200 pound trailer with my 2008 5.4L F350 but it has 4.10s and a six speed manual trans. Just take it slow and realize you arent gonna be going like a commuter car. Stay in the right lane and let all the yayhoos fly by you on the left. The 5.4L 3v engines LOVE 3500 to 4500 rpms. Let it EAT! It makes it most power in that range and you'll need all the power you can get.

As for the 89 above the treeline... You wont have much power. It will run fine, there just isnt the oxygen available to make probably 60% of normal power. So use a lower gear than you might normally. Driving that high affects every vehicle, not just carbs. High altitudes are also very taxing on the cooling system so make sure its up to snuff and you have stuff to fix it. And fill it... Last but certainly not least is having good brakes. You dont want to pull a Thelma and Louise!

Enjoy yourself! Southern and Central Colorado is a beautiful place. If you make it to Creede, eat at Kip's and tour the fire station (inside a cave!)

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 311K miles
1,690 Posts
Depending on routes taken, some pass roads have a very short length limit. Some limit to 35 feet (Independence Pass). The I.P. going down into Aspen from Leadville (dont drink the water) is a single lane wide at points with no traffic controlling devices. So be wise with your route.

Remove the broncos driveshafts to flat tow. It is safest.

Use your transmission to control your decent and use the brakes only when needed. I've towed my bronco on a 2200 pound trailer with my 2008 5.4L F350 but it has 4.10s and a six speed manual trans. Just take it slow and realize you arent gonna be going like a commuter car. Stay in the right lane and let all the yayhoos fly by you on the left. The 5.4L 3v engines LOVE 3500 to 4500 rpms. Let it EAT! It makes it most power in that range and you'll need all the power you can get.

As for the 89 above the treeline... You wont have much power. It will run fine, there just isnt the oxygen available to make probably 60% of normal power. So use a lower gear than you might normally. Driving that high affects every vehicle, not just carbs. High altitudes are also very taxing on the cooling system so make sure its up to snuff and you have stuff to fix it. And fill it... Last but certainly not least is having good brakes. You dont want to pull a Thelma and Louise!

Enjoy yourself! Southern and Central Colorado is a beautiful place. If you make it to Creede, eat at Kip's and tour the fire station (inside a cave!)
What he said!!!!!! Absolutely!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks great info summer is slipping away I’m thinking about a September/ October trip any thoughts when do they start getting snow?

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,889 Posts
Thanks great info summer is slipping away I’m thinking about a September/ October trip any thoughts when do they start getting snow?
Uh, im not sure. I know that the dirt Rollins Pass road ive been on in winter park usually closes in october. September is great, nights are cool and the days arent scorching. I usually go out there during august. Even then there is still snow on some peaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts