Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had, K&N intake, JBA headers, Hi-Flow Catalytic converter, High flow muffler, all about 2 3/4 pipes I think. Anyway the whole job was about $2,000.

Was that way too much to pay for? I had it done at off road warehouse.

Not a duel , single pipe, was told other was going to be too much.

This is my impressions so far. I can't really tell the difference in power... The low end torque seems reduced.

My truck is 1993 Bronco with 5.8 liter V8. This is my third Bronco but I am new to this business of customizing. Also after the work now i have lots of backfiring.

Thanks much,

Rich

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sht

i fiquered such... but it was too late..

Off Road Warehouse has a good reputation in San Diego, I have bought stuff from them before I did not question the price till I was half way into it.

i dont even see a freeken difference in power, and the engine is running 10x as rough as before also its not even dual exaust ......

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Sorry to hear your woes but yes, you did pay to much.:banghead

Live and learn. At least you got it from a shop that will hopfully stand behind their work.

Personally I think your pipe is to big. A 2.5" pipe would help build power quicker at lower RPM's or even a slightly more restrictive muffler would help with low end gains and a large pipe.

I'd say to look for gains with that set up in the mid to upper area of your power band. Remember you have put on Hi flow parts that don't restrict as much air and it will now take longer to build up back pressure.

You have inreased your engine's breathing ability, wich is a good thing, but you might have gone to far for what your engine needs or where you were looking for gains in performance in its power band.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
rich0077 said:
I just had, K&N intake, JBA headers, Hi-Flow Catalytic converter, High flow muffler, all about 2 3/4 pipes I think. Anyway the whole job was about $2,000.

Was that way too much to pay for? I had it done at off road warehouse.
Rough guess-

Intake ~$150
Headers ~ $600
Cat ~$150
Muffler ~$100
Exhaust tubing ~$100

Total before labor ~$900

So figure you paid about $900 in labor vs doing it yourself.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
:lolup you got hosed!

Let me price out my exhaust:
Right Header: $210
Left Header: $300
Custom crossover: $140
Flowmaster 3 chamber muff $70
Custom 3" tailpipe: $115

Total: $835 for entire exhaust system

Pictures here: http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=1501&s=8841#content

NOTE! I had to buy 2 sets of headers, my truck uses a Ford motorsport header on the right and a MAC on the left. Couldn't use 1 matching set, so my cost is higher from buying 4 headers :banghead

So, $2000 is prison sex! :duh

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
dogonmut said:
Personally I think your pipe is to big. A 2.5" pipe would help build power quicker at lower RPM's or even a slightly more restrictive muffler would help with low end gains and a large pipe.

I'd say to look for gains with that set up in the mid to upper area of your power band. Remember you have put on Hi flow parts that don't restrict as much air and it will now take longer to build up back pressure.

You have inreased your engine's breathing ability, wich is a good thing, but you might have gone to far for what your engine needs or where you were looking for gains in performance in its power band.
I disagree, or have my own opinion at least :toothless
My 3" custom exhaust may max torque at 3100RPM

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,796 Posts
I agree with fireguy here.

I put summit headers on my old 302: $170
Then got a new Y pipe made and 3" exhaust with a flowmaster single out behind the tire for $280 from a local shop

the 3" single produced way better low end and great sound so he may have something else wrong with his motor.

B

·
0 Posts
Buyer beware, but they took advantage of you. Go back, ask for manager and confront them. It ain't easy but the worst that will happen, if you keep your temper and wits about you, is they will say "sorry you agreed on that price". They might, when hell freezes over, offer you something. I'd tell them that you feel taken advantage of and you will let everyone know that you can.

Too reset the computer pull the neg. battery cable, turn on the lights or hit the brakes a couple of time to remove any residual voltage. Wait 15 min. hook the cable back-up.

On a crude note: You could ask them to at least lube you up next time they stick it to ya!

We've probably all paid too much for something or another. Bling Bling easy to get excited bling bling I gotta have that for my favorite toy! bling bling, OOPS!

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
yep, I had 4 sets of headers on my truck. Cost me about a grand to have all of them but I got shafted due to lack of brain power.

Luckly me got to sell off 2 pair of headers to get most of my money back. The other NEW single headers in the garage are a learning curve.

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
i think that price you paid is so high due to labor, if you put the K&N and headers on youself, you probably could have saved a few hundred. what i have invested in my truck is
200 on the HEDMAN hedders
120 CATCO highflow cats
500 for the shop to get Flowy 40's, 2.5 pipe, and to assemble from the hedders back. oh yeah thats true duals by the way.

B

·
0 Posts
"a kiss at least" HA! Sounds more like the ho charged him, was not that good, drugged him, took his wallet while he was sleeping, kicked him on the way out, and left him an std.

How's that for "pouring gas on the fire". Sorry

Take your complaint to the shop, I'll back you up.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Sorry but you got screwed royaly. It cost me $220 to have true dual 2.25 pipes going into two flowmaster 40's exiting behind the tires with 24" long 3" diameter chrome tips.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Re: sht

rich0077 said:
Off Road Warehouse has a good reputation in San Diego, I have bought stuff from them before I did not question the price till I was half way into it.
sorry dude, but ORW and those other big shops tend to cater to the metal mulisha wannabe kids who want a big flashy truck that will get them laid and have lots of daddies money to spend. not trying to say thats the kind of person you are or anything. lesson learned, tell every person you know that they are cheats, and don't ever give them any business again. being in San Diego, i know you have plenty of other shops to get your stuff from.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Re: Re: sht

Andy351 said:
sorry dude, but ORW and those other big shops tend to cater to the metal mulisha wannabe kids who want a big flashy truck that will get them laid and have lots of daddies money to spend. not trying to say thats the kind of person you are or anything.
Andy said that :confused:
Who would of thunk it :shrug

:goodfinge

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GET THIS !! theres more

I could not figuer out why the engine was runnig so badly, well i found it out..

they reversed the firing order of cylander #3 and #4 !!!!!!!!!!

i drove 400 miles on a job yesterday and dint get to the problem till today...............

so that added like 30k to the millage on the engine. What damage do you think this did!!!!!?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts