Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like the aggressive sound of the 2 chambers (and the price for that matter too), but i'm afraid i'm going to get sick of the noise. i've been listening to clips of the 3 chambers and they have a nice rumble to them, but they are way more expensive. so my question is for all the 2 chamber muffler owners, is day to day driving a headache? or not that bad...also, i'm getting flowmasters, i just can't decide on which model to get. these will be in my 79 with a built 460.

· Fullsize Member
2,845 Posts
I had dual 40 series (2 chamber) mufflers on before I redid my exhaust (straight piped now:toothless). I just need to put them back on. There was a "drone" at cruising speed, but overall I like them. Never had the 50 series (3 chamber) on anything. For the price difference between two 40s (around $200) and two 50s (around $230), I would say go for the 50s if you like the tone better.

· Registered
175 Posts
I have the 3 chamber 50 series on a 460 and love the sound. The 2 chamber were a little loud for me, dang I must be getting old I sound like my father.

· Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,887 Posts
I agree get the 3 chambers, it won't drone and still sounds good when you get on it.
Personally I have one 3" in/out super 40 on mine and I like it, nice and deep, I too have mild 460, but that is a single exhuast not duals.

· Registered
1,982 Posts
I have 2 chambers and I love the way they sound at idle and cruising. Sometimes it sounds a little tinny , but thats the Flowmaster sound. They don't drone all that bad to me. I think if I was to do it all over again I would go with the 3 chamber's for a tad less droney sound and those late nights or early mornings coming home into my neighborhood. I hate nosey neighbors and stuck up HOA's.

· Registered
498 Posts
super 40's aren't too obnoxious and have a nice deep tone.alot depends on how you dump the muffler.i had some 12" downspouts on my super 40's and they sounded too "flowmastery" for me so i cut them down to about 6 inches long and like the sound better.mufflers are a personal taste thing,what i like isn't necessarily what someone else would like.a straight thru muffler,magnaflow for example,is best for power but i can't stand how they sound.

another thing to think about is the sound check at the dunes.my mufflers are under the truck,inside the frame and so far they haven't messed with me,but guys with the mufflers hanging right out there,out side the frame seem to get picked on more regularly.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've seen you up there before norm. thats one badass bronco. thats interesting about the sound check though. i can't say i've ever seen guys having trouble with that. i'll keep it in mind, thanks

· Registered
704 Posts
i like the aggressive sound of the 2 chambers (and the price for that matter too), but i'm afraid i'm going to get sick of the noise. i've been listening to clips of the 3 chambers and they have a nice rumble to them, but they are way more expensive. so my question is for all the 2 chamber muffler owners, is day to day driving a headache? or not that bad...also, i'm getting flowmasters, i just can't decide on which model to get. these will be in my 79 with a built 460.
I have the 2 chamber on my 78 with stock motor and manifold's. Sounds just right to me. I would like to put a single chamber on it to hear how that sounds now.

· Registered
498 Posts
hey norm, what drivetrain are you running behind that big motor?
it's a c6 with a reverse manual valve body and 205 case.axles are a 44 in the front and 9" with strange housing and strange axles with a detroit.4.88 gears,which is too low,now.just haven't had the chance to change them yet.

i do believe i've seen your bronco in the sand too.i'll try and stop and say hi if i see you up there again.

have you checked out http://www.silverlakeforum.com/index.php
yet?

· Registered
408 Posts
i prefer the 2 chambers if i am trying to be loud and i don't have to drive it on on the highway (and if there are tailpipes all the way out the back), otherwise between the two, i would take the 50's.

Another option is the cherry bomb vortex. a friend of mine has them on his 460 f-250 with pipes out the side right before the rear tires and it sounds great. it isn't annoying on the highway, but it'll turn heads if you jump on it. If you are just easy on it off the line, it is about as loud as a turbo. It's almost like the muffler has a built in volume control that is attached to the gas pedal. the more flow that goes through it, the louder it is in the cab, unlike a 40 that drones at 2000...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.