Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first off, I decided to check the timing on my gutless 6 cyl. Found it set to 2* BTDC !!!!! So quick and easy 10 more-ish degrees and I found probably 75 horses, I'm not afraid to merge onto the freeway now :)

On another tangent-- I just spent 2 days in smog training (provided by the miles of junkers at the local pic-a-part) and have learned more than I ever wanted to know about the '80-86 Fords. If anyone needs help, I'd be more than happy to share what I've discovered about interchangability between cars/trucks.

Most of my miss issues have been taken care of. I've been hessitant to change too much without knowing what was really causing the problems. I plan on messing with the carb tomorrow. I have no idea what brand this 1 barrel even is, no idea how to tune it. It is all shiny, new remanufactured. Any 6cyl. carb guys have any pointers on dialing this thing in?

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
That's awesome about the six! Those things are sensitive to timing. They'll run nice and smooth regardless of what it's set at (within reason) but will just be so gutless. How does it run at 12* advance? Mine is set to the factory 6* and I haven't messed with it. If it gives it a bit more pep without making it ping, I just might up it.

Also, what are you wanting to know about that carter 1bbl? I've rebuilt mine twice if you need any help.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
On another tangent-- I just spent 2 days in smog training (provided by the miles of junkers at the local pic-a-part) and have learned more than I ever wanted to know about the '80-86 Fords. If anyone needs help, I'd be more than happy to share what I've discovered about interchangability between cars/trucks.
Learn any dirty tricks to get EFI 5.0 litres through the process ;)

Sixlitre

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Ive heard that the 6 stays at max tourque for most of the rpm range, is this true ? I kinda want my next bronco to be a six- and before i get slammed for saying that, ive built huge h.p. motors already.

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
Why would you get slammed for saying you want a six? The 300 is a highly respected motor, even by most V8 owners.

And to answer your question, their torque "curve" is more of a torque line than anything else. It's pretty much all of it the whole way through. Fun fun.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why would you get slammed for saying you want a six? The 300 is a highly respected motor, even by most V8 owners.

And to answer your question, their torque "curve" is more of a torque line than anything else. It's pretty much all of it the whole way through. Fun fun.
I will agree...I loved my six to death. I just has the wrong timing curve for it (swapped in EFI headed (fast burn chamber) motor for a carby headed motor) and I blew a piston. Still drove it 200 miles home though. :toothless Them fawkers are tough.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
ive seen alot of the "fukkit if it aint a bigblokk" mentality on this site- just tryin not to get attacked-

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you know how to use the power a 6 gives, they give GOBS of torque way down low, Just where you need it in a 4WD. Awesome motors. V8's are easy. L6's take some effort. But I'll keep my 5.8 :shrug

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
ive seen alot of the "fukkit if it aint a bigblokk" mentality on this site- just tryin not to get attacked-
Honestly i hate v6's period,but i love v8's.But those v6's are tough bitches to kill.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Learn any dirty tricks to get EFI 5.0 litres through the process ;)

Sixlitre
I only know of 1 trick for 5.0's, and that involves a $100 bill :shocked

Other than maybe lean it out with an audjustible fuel regulator (?).

That's awesome about the six! Those things are sensitive to timing. They'll run nice and smooth regardless of what it's set at (within reason) but will just be so gutless. How does it run at 12* advance? Mine is set to the factory 6* and I haven't messed with it. If it gives it a bit more pep without making it ping, I just might up it.

Also, what are you wanting to know about that carter 1bbl? I've rebuilt mine twice if you need any help.
My original core support sticker states 10* BTDC, then there's a recall tag, wich, besides other things, sets timing at 7* (TFI dizzy setup'd). I noticed some posts here that said some people run at 12*. I'm going to try some different settings tomorrow, I think a little retarded might be better. I'm sure glad to see a difference from my first attempt though. I'll do some trials and post up on what seems best.

As for the 1bbl, I'm glad to atleast find out it's a carter :doh0715: - that's how lost I am on that thing. I kind of live in denial, I don't admit to myself that cars were made in 73-86, so this is completely new territory.

I have a little bit of an inconsistent miss, that for now I'm going to blame on carb settings. Sometimes she'll idle rock solid, others it's like I'm driving a pinball machine.
What type of adjustements do these things have? If it was a holley I'd say my float was to high- is there an equivalent symptom/fix on these carters?

Just a quick afterthought question-- since there's a TFI, where's the ecm? And how much of an ecm is it? Somewhere between duraspark and eec IV? My haynes is worthless on this (ya, I know, search. but most of it turns up v8 efi stuff)

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I only know of 1 trick for 5.0's, and that involves a $100 bill :shocked

Other than maybe lean it out with an audjustible fuel regulator (?).
The Mustang sites taught me a lot so i could get my 5.0 litre Town Car through. Luckily the Bronco is exempt forever more :chili:

The guys said 5.0 litres were that difficult to pass did they ??

Sixlitre

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Smog in california has become a nightmare. Not sure how the rest of the world is going about it, but now in CA you have to run yer smog test on a dyno :(

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
My original core support sticker states 10* BTDC, then there's a recall tag, wich, besides other things, sets timing at 7* (TFI dizzy setup'd). I noticed some posts here that said some people run at 12*. I'm going to try some different settings tomorrow, I think a little retarded might be better. I'm sure glad to see a difference from my first attempt though. I'll do some trials and post up on what seems best.

As for the 1bbl, I'm glad to atleast find out it's a carter :doh0715: - that's how lost I am on that thing. I kind of live in denial, I don't admit to myself that cars were made in 73-86, so this is completely new territory.

I have a little bit of an inconsistent miss, that for now I'm going to blame on carb settings. Sometimes she'll idle rock solid, others it's like I'm driving a pinball machine.
What type of adjustements do these things have? If it was a holley I'd say my float was to high- is there an equivalent symptom/fix on these carters?

Just a quick afterthought question-- since there's a TFI, where's the ecm? And how much of an ecm is it? Somewhere between duraspark and eec IV? My haynes is worthless on this (ya, I know, search. but most of it turns up v8 efi stuff)
Mine doesn't have the feedback system, they didn't have it in '81 and no ECU so I might let someone else fill you in on that. That's also probably why my sticker says to only go to 6* advance. However, the carbs are pretty much the same. On mine, there's about three screws. One for the idle mixture (which is near the passenger side and towards the front), and two in the back to set your idle and fast idle speeds. The two in the back won't have much to do with performance, but if you come up to a stop light and your engine idles at 1500 RPMs, you'll know where to start looking.

If it is feeling kinda doggy, it's possible your float might be saturated and sinking, or just aren't set right. There's only one, so if you go to the store and get one for $4, it's just a couple screws to swap it out. Just be sure not to damage the gasket and be sure to keep track of where everything goes.

However, someone had a great quote that I feel I should pass along. Carbs generally cause 10% of the problems but get 90% of the blame. If your engine is running rough like it is, check for vacuum leaks. If you have those old color coded vacuum lines you're just asking for trouble. I went through my entire engine and rebuilt/replaced the entire vacuum line system for $20 and it seriously felt like I had just paid $500 at a professional shop for a top notch tune-up. It was beautiful.

·
Registered
712 Posts
yah, that's called a "sniffer", evil thing if you got an old carbed vehicle - wonder how one of those would react to my old 350 :D My Townie I know won't pass at all, as tis pretty much straight piped to the axle and also runs rich as hell (probably a faulty ECT or ACS, will mess with it in the summer), good thing we ain't got no emissions testing here in MI. Also the sniffer test is pretty common for the high-populated areas, tis worst when tis combined with visual inspection - I even know of a case when the tech went under the car and measure the pipes to 2.5" and failed the guy for altered exhaust, nevermind the fact the sniffer showed pollutant levels much lower than normal for that model... yep, the $100 bill came out, but for gas money to a different testing station where the attitude was "don't care what you've done, are doing, or will do to it, as long as it keeps passing every time we run it" :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts