Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out to those n. georgia mtns. today (topless of course) to enjoy the beautiful weather. i've come up with a different way to remove the top. i use to just get under it and lift it with my back and walk it off onto a porch or utility trailer. well... i'm gettin too old and too fat for that nonsense. i'm sure someone has come up with something like this long before me but i'll share anyway. i decided to pull under my shed, place 2 2x4's between the rails and the top. using 4 tiedown straps fixed to the ceiling of the shed i just lift up on the top 1 corner at a time. i'm sure someone has got better way than that, but it works for me.
[/IMG] if you have improvements feel free.

·
Registered
952 Posts
That's a smart idea. Last time I took my top off I was stuck alone getting it back on. Took me a good hour to get the sonbitch on!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Yep, my dad does the same thing with his f250 fiberglass bed cover, and just a hair forward of it, is the hitch for our 5th wheel. So he just backs up all the way, lifts the cover off, and moves up a little and drops in the hitch.

·
Registered
952 Posts
50Gunner said:
Do your back seats have seat belts that work with the top off?

The 92-96 were the ones that have the seatbelts attached to the top.Because my 88' has the seatbelts built into the back seat, and my brothers truck has them attached to the top. His is a 92'.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm going to do the samething when i do mine i'm going to rig up a hoist using pullys and rope i have a car port and the rafters are covered up with steel sheething so i'm going to rig it up on the roof.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was the most primative and simple way i could think of. anything is better than blowing out the back and knees.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
yeah 90 beater did something similar, i just get a buddy or two and have it off/on in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Years ago when I worked at builders square I helped a guy rig up a lift and storage "system" for his Miata hardtop. Just walk down the aisle at Home Depot thats has the ropes and pulleys and such and get creative. Mounted form the ceiling in the garage, or a good tree branch: A simple rope and pulley hooked up to the cargo rack on the top would prolly lift it off and hold it. Use either a bar shaped like an I to slip into the rack with the rope (or cable) in the center. Or 4 hooks at the 4 corners of the roof rack. Tie it off and it could suspend or lower it to the ground easily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THERES NO ROOF RACK TO TIE TO S. FLA. THAT WOULD BE ALOT EASIER IF I HAD IT. THX FOR THE COMP PTACK.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
If i ever get to take my top off, you know how much garbage and reciepts that i have crumpled up and "filed" in the back seat would blow out?

Thanks though, you just gave me a good idea of what mine would look like with the top off, and if i had no body rust, and a family.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
Graydevil said:
how much does the top weigh does anyone know
between 100 and 150 pounds

1 - 16 of 16 Posts