Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...from this

to this...

The next three get 600 grit for the 1st pass, 800 grit for the 2nd, and 1000grit for the last...not spending another 2 hours on each one. :whiteflag

edit...yes I know I got polish on the tires...has been taken care of.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,784 Posts
Did you really have to use the sand paper? I think just polishing with a powerball would work the same and be much easier and quicker.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Did you really have to use the sand paper? I think just polishing with a powerball would work the same and be much easier and quicker.
Yup

Flitz without the powerball did my aluminum rims on one of the Mopars very nicely (good work Wildjon).

Sixlitre

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Now need to do the hubs, looks nice.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
yeah...seems that sand paper is overkill.....looks great thou

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last post is almost what they looked like...that's after never dull being taken to 'em. Trust me, there's a LOT of pitting/Ca deposits that a powerball wouldn't take off, I tried for 2 hours on each wheel about 2 months ago. That's what I get for letting them sit for 3 years and not touching them. :smilie_slap

My process was clean them REALLY well, take the sandpaper (wet sanding) and sand around the wheel first to get most of the corrorsion and Ca deposits off. Next after recleaning them, I went up and down, perpendicular to the first sanding lines. Then I cleaned them again, and hit them with the powerball.

·
Registered
525 Posts
thats what it looked like after an hour with never dull and i am in the same boat haven't really touched them in about 3 years

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
yes sandpaper is reasonably necessary. ive had to polish a few sets of wheels and it brings the suck....

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Yes, if his was anything like mine.
maybe i will try it on my front wheels
Mine are a little worse I think.
Last post is almost what they looked like...that's after never dull being taken to 'em. Trust me, there's a LOT of pitting/Ca deposits that a powerball wouldn't take off, I tried for 2 hours on each wheel about 2 months ago. That's what I get for letting them sit for 3 years and not touching them. :smilie_slap

My process was clean them REALLY well, take the sandpaper (wet sanding) and sand around the wheel first to get most of the corrorsion and Ca deposits off. Next after recleaning them, I went up and down, perpendicular to the first sanding lines. Then I cleaned them again, and hit them with the powerball.
I tried to do mine summer of 06 and I got as far as doing one. Spent about 2 hours like yourself. I got distracted / discouraged and have since polished them by hand with scotch brite and polish. After 3 applications this last summer, there was still lots of brake dust deposits on and even more now. I plan on removing all the wheels from the truck this spring and sanding the bad spots and then getting a buffing wheel for my 7" grinder and the polish bars and probably a whole day of hard work to get them back to how they were when I bought them 3 years ago next month.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The buffing wheel for a grinder that big is about useless, can't really get into them...one for a die grinder/drill/dremel would be perfect, but yea, I don't have an air compressor down here to run my die grinder/no dremel (burnt up the last one)/haven't found a buffing wheel/course compound for my drill in the shithole college town yet.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I think I would be spending the 40 bucks for a new Dremel.

I polished mine last week. Spent about an hour a wheel with Mothers Mag and Aluminum paste polish. Nothing else would polish mine. Mothers Liquid w/Powerball, Flitz, Nevr Dull, none would touch them. Mothers is the shiat.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
The buffing wheel for a grinder that big is about useless, can't really get into them...one for a die grinder/drill/dremel would be perfect, but yea, I don't have an air compressor down here to run my die grinder/no dremel (burnt up the last one)/haven't found a buffing wheel/course compound for my drill in the shithole college town yet.
I get mine at Sears, they have one that has a 1/4 inch shank that will fit in both my drill and air die grinder it.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
What are you talking about?
I had a shortlived business polishing semi rims and did it that way. I also have a die grinder with sandpaper for it and little buffing wheels. I should be able to do them all in half the time or better.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
I cant imagine how long it would take to polish wheels with a dremel....whats the biggest polishing pad you can get?...1/2 inch dia?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts