Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for a cheap and easy way to add a shelter to the back of my bronco for a while now so that I can camp out of the back. I've seen people on here custom make their own shelters, since nobody manufactures one specifically for our broncos. Or so I thought....

Today I purchased half of a two-man pup tent today from my local surplus store to use as a tarp and work mat. When I got it home and opened it up to check it out, I noticed the pattern and I got to thinking. It was just a little bit longer than the width of the bronco and had end flaps, so I threw it over the back to see what it would look like and it fit almost perfectly. Now, since it was just half of the tent, it only covered up the opening with the tailgate down and didn't extend out at all, but I feel that if I got another half, it would be perfect.

You see, the tent was designed to be broken down into two identical halves to be carried by two men, each with half the tent. You'd need both halves to make a full tent. For what I have in mind, one halve would act as the "roof" of the extension and the other half would be the back wall. The tents are designed to have closable end flaps so you can seal everything up with the snaps.

Anyways, I took a few shots of the test fitting. Obviously I need to figure out a way to rig up the ropes and get the other half, but this feels like a good, cheap way of adding some camp shelter to my bronco.

I've seen plenty of others use home made extensions made from plastic tarps or even modified SUV tents, but I think this would be the simplest and easiest way to go about it. Thoughts?

For those who are wondering, the NSN for the tent is 8340-01-026-6096.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*sigh* There's always one. lol.

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
I've never understood the desire to have a full size tent attached to your vehicle like that.

What purpose does it serve really?

I'd like something more like what you did. Not a big tent area but something to extend the back gate area and enclose the inside. Maybe extend it down to the ground to give you some room to stand a pee in the middle of the night........

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never understood the desire to have a full size tent attached to your vehicle like that.

What purpose does it serve really?

I'd like something more like what you did. Not a big tent area but something to extend the back gate area and enclose the inside. Maybe extend it down to the ground to give you some room to stand a pee in the middle of the night........
Since I only have one half of the tent with me right now, I don't know how low it will go. The surplus store I go to only had the one half so I had to order a full tent off ebay. Still, I feel like I got a great deal.

As for the whole toilet privacy thing, if there are THAT many people around, you'll probably have restrooms nearby anyways. lol. And stand alone privacy tents are cheap enough anyways.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think that's a sweet setup and those pup tents can be found relatively cheap at surplus stores. Not to mention they're pretty tough.

Just offhand, I assume you take the back seats out? Or at least fold them forward?

What would you guess is the laying down room available in there with that sort of thing set up?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that's a sweet setup and those pup tents can be found relatively cheap at surplus stores. Not to mention they're pretty tough.

Just offhand, I assume you take the back seats out? Or at least fold them forward?

What would you guess is the laying down room available in there with that sort of thing set up?
I do plan on folding the back seat forward. As far as room goes, I'd say about 7 1/2 to 8 feet. Should be enough for me.

I wish the rest of the tent would get here. I can't wait to get it all fitted and setup.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to either extend the poles that come with the tent, or make my own from dowels or something. Either way, its gonna be fun doing this.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice. I might try something like this when I get my bronco. Could make a cool camping trip and be useful in an emergency. I'm about 6'2" so pretty tall although not like nba size.

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
Since I only have one half of the tent with me right now, I don't know how low it will go. The surplus store I go to only had the one half so I had to order a full tent off ebay. Still, I feel like I got a great deal.

As for the whole toilet privacy thing, if there are THAT many people around, you'll probably have restrooms nearby anyways. lol. And stand alone privacy tents are cheap enough anyways.
I was thinking more along just getting up at night to go pee without having to fully go outside. Just being able to crawl out the back.

Maybe keep the bucket under the tail gate till morning instead of walking to the nearest tree.......

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks interesting. :thumbup How will it seal to the top to keep rain out? Just from contact & ropes/weight holding it down, or do you plan to add something more rain-resistant? Will it hang past the t/g, or close against it? Will it just be an overhang, or will there be something below the t/g to keep the cool breezes from coming up inside?

Does that one still smell like 2 military men & a pup, or did you get lucky & find a clean one? :toothless
I'm thinking of adding a rain lip along the top to keep rain from running back under the canvas. Between that and tying the canvas down, it should keep the rain out. The lower edge will be tied against the tailgate so keep out wind.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,686 Posts
FFS?!? How many threads do you have going for this? :rolleyes:

·
FSM Lifetime
2,239 Posts
You see, the tent was designed to be broken down into two identical halves to be carried by two men, each with half the tent. You'd need both halves to make a full tent. For what I have in mind, one halve would act as the "roof" of the extension and the other half would be the back wall. The tents are designed to have closable end flaps so you can seal everything up with the snaps.
This sounds like a setup for a terrible sitcom.

What happens when two worst enemies get partnered up in a cross-country hike to find Sasquatch......

Hilarity that is!

Woah look out! It's Two Guys and a Tent

Mondays on Fox!

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FFS?!? How many threads do you have going for this? :rolleyes:
This is the thread for the tent build. I just also mentioned it in my bronco build thread and in the FOTM contest thread, since I'm actually competing this month. Gotta get the votes somehow. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I finally got time to finish this little tailgate tent conversion.

I decided to go with a full frame made of 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings. I also found out that there is apparently no need for a fitting to go from 1/2" PVC to 3/8" pipe thread. Weird. Anyways, because of that little over site, I had to get creative. I bought a T-connector and some brass pipe fittings with hose nipples. The nipples were the exact size to fit the pole grommets on the tent. To make them fit, I had to get a 1/2" to 3/8" brass adapter and use some JB Kwik weld to hold it all together. Works fine, but its a little sloppier than I'd like. Oh well. It works.

Next, I added some tie down points to the underside of my wheel wells. These points will only be used with this tent so its not a real issue with clearance. I mounted them to one of the tub body rails using self tapping screws and the tie downs themselves came out of an old explorer. I just cut off the tabs.

Seems to work great now. With the frame in, I'm confident it will hold up extremely well in wind and rain. I'll need to come up with some way to tilt the corners for better rain drainage, but that won't be too big of a deal.

Anyways.... PICS!

Attachments

Reactions: Darth_ted_82

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I gotta say I love your ingenuity. I have used the tents designed to go over the back of a pick up and I really liked that. The reason is that all of your stuff is stored in the bed of the truck and you have the whole tent to sleep in or stand up and change clothes. Or store your stuff in the tent and sleep in the bed of the truck.
Swamp

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks kinda familiar...

Sixlitre's write up: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/4970/17314#content
I admit, I got the idea from there, but I didn't want to use plastic tarps. My experience with them, even the heavier tarps, has been less than satisfactory, while my experience with canvas has been much more positive. Plus, I can stich up a hole in a canvas tent much easier than a plastic tarp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts