Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off.
95 fsb 302 auto trans and manual hubs. 1356 b.w. man. shift t-case
can i run in 4 lo with hubs unlocked without damage??
basically 2 wheel low? speed limits or paved roads??
other way around can i keep hubs locked in and just shift from. 2wd to 4wd whenever i hit the dirt roads. the new hunting camp has a mix of red clay slick rooads and some old blacktop,
any help would be great:thumbup :beer

the hemi on 35's is on dash 4wd, plus too nice for these smaller trails:beer

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
We have always (when dad had a 4x4) used 4lo with the hubs unlocked when pulling boats up at the ramp. I don't know that I would drive around like that just due to gearing. I don't really see how it would hurt anything though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes - to both of your questions.

I read a post once that your spindle bearings should be in good condition if you are going to drive around with the hubs locked.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Yes. You can drive with the hubs unlocked with the transfer case in 4lo. It's useful for when you don't need the grip, but just need the lower gearing. I drove back and forth through town for a few days like this when pulling a large UHaul trailer. It was great for getting going from the stop lights, especially since I have a 3.00 final drive. Just don't over rev the engine, as that's easy to do (being as you're used to moving much faster at a given RPM), and whatever speeds follow. Don't ever use overdrive in 4LO though, as a rule of thumb.

Yes, you can leave your hubs turned and just shift in and out of 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO whenever you want. Just never drive in 4 wheel drive on pavement. In fact, my user's manual specifically says to turn the hubs once a month and drive at least ten miles, even if the transfer case is only in 2HI, as this keeps the front end lubricated. As far as I know, lockable/unlockable hubs are only for fuel economy and power purposes. Having the front end turning all the time creates a lot of drag. Quite a few vehicles didn't come with them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies, just wanted to be sure

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Definitely one of those things you want to be sure about. :thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts