Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should go under Vendor/Product review...since its a product, but I'm looking instead of offering.

I'm thinking about this truck.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F-250-2WD-DIESEL-2000-F-250-SUPER-CAB-POWER-STROKE-DIESEL-ONLY-97K-FL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ39415QQitemZ4604775441QQrdZ1

While I'm confident in my ability to assess any used vehicle's mechanical worth, I'm not very familiar with the newer Ford trucks, specifically diesels.

This would be a work truck, towing a landscaping trailer.

Pros/Cons/thinks to look for in this year/engine? I may look at it tomorrow before the auction ends, so I'd like a few things to check besides the obvious.

-Will

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well I cant tell you much about mine since I have had it for only about three months. I do like it though. Mine is a 99 250 7.3 with the auto instead. Mine rides like a tank. But I like that. Mine has also been chipped. If you buy this thing I would suggest putting a chip in it. I would have never bought that crap for it. The previous owner put that and some other stuff in it and all I can say is WOW at difference in power from stock to the full power setting. I mean its no racecar but it will get up and move. The newer ones with the 6.0 I believe put out 100hp more than the 7.3. From what I have been reading there is one thing that will go out without warning and leave you stranded. The CPS sensor. The other forum most people say they carry an extra one in the glovebox. So I bought one also for 60 bucks on ebay. It is just sitting in my glovebox waiting for its day. Dont believe them if they tell you it gets about 600 miles to the tank. Mine is lucky to get 400. With the chip turned up and my lead foot closer to 300. Now this thing has a 37 gal tank. It cost me $105 to fill it up last time. Diesel is not the cheap fuel anymore. Its right up there with premium gas now. Just somthing to remember. Anyway I am glad I bought this thing. It is also my first diesel.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It is actually the Cam Position Sensor. When it fails it will not let the engine start. Or it will shut the engine down. That seems to be the biggest thing to go out on the PSD. I dont mind it is a little sensor that has one or two 10mm bolts holding it to the front of the engine. If it is bad when you try to crank it your tach will not be moving. I guess with a good cps when cranking the engine your tach will bounce up and down.

If you want to learn alot about the superduty I suggest www.ford-trucks.com They are a little to tight assed there but that is the best place forum I found dealing with the superduty. I saw you said it would be towing a landscaping trailer. Are you sure that you would want a 2WD? I dont think I would ever buy another 2WD.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slim said:
I saw you said it would be towing a landscaping trailer. Are you sure that you would want a 2WD?
I dont want a 2wd, but the price and condition of the truck is right. I worked for a friend for 4 years running a lawn maintenance business and cannot remember one specific instance I used the 4 wheel drive on his Chevy 1500. I think I did I just cant remember. There is no plan to take it off the pavement, so 2wd is a valid concession in my book.

Thanks for the help, good info. Any others?

·
Registered
990 Posts
You can also check out www.thedieselstop.com

Im always hangin out there.

I have a 99 F350, chipped, and it is awesome. On the highest setting I can spin the tires all the way through 1st gear. The ride isnt too bad at all. The transmissions arn't the greatest in these trucks, but they are decent.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
pull the intake tube off and look at the turbo, make sure there are no chiped, bent, damaged fins. also look for excessive oil sitting in there. grab the turbine wheel with your hand(with the truck OFF of course!) and check for excesive play. also make sure the intake box is not cracked or broken. alot of times this will happen and noone takes care of it and it causes premature engine failure. this is also a good check for getting an idea on how well the truck was mantained.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My only suggestions are check to see if it has new injectors. Check to see if the thing has been rigged for a 5th wheel. Look for oil leak (main seal I think)....that is something that seems fairly common around 99 - 00's. Great trucks though.....I miss mine :cry

I hate ex wives!!.....ohh great, here I go again....breathe, breathe

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
carboncrew said:
My only suggestions are check to see if it has new injectors. Check to see if the thing has been rigged for a 5th wheel. Look for oil leak (main seal I think)....that is something that seems fairly common around 99 - 00's. Great trucks though.....I miss mine :cry
why? most times the reman injectors are worse off then the factory ones. yes injector issues are common but there is no need not to buy a truck if they havent been replaced. this truck dosent have enough miles to worry about new injector o-rings either.

the rear mains are VERY uncommon on a 7.3. typically they leak on the top of the engine and run back the backside of the block making it apear to have a rear main leak. common oil leaks are from the high pressure oil pump fittings/gasket. at the turbo o-rings where it mounts to the pedistal and the pedistal itself. the CAC(charge air cooler) hoses are common to get oil residue build up but thats perfectly normal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm just going on what the dealership told me....I didn't really check into the leak....so you're probably right. I just know that they were always trying to sell me new injectors and fix the oil leak. They wanted a ton on $ for both. The oil leak was nothing more than just a little annoying. Mine also smoked white especially in a cold morning? Dustin will tell you probably what that is as well as I cannot.

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
I'm a diesel dork i can vouce for this easily.

95-96 7.3L (questionable)
97-2003 7.3L (good no doubt)
2003-2004 6.0L (Bad do not buy)
2005 - current 6.0L (good however still not a 7.3 powerhouse):rockon

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
MANNY said:
I'm a diesel dork i can vouce for this easily.

95-96 7.3L (questionable)
97-2003 7.3L (good no doubt)
2003-2004 6.0L (Bad do not buy)
2005 - current 6.0L (good however still not a 7.3 powerhouse):rockon
shut your mouth unless you can back it up with facts.......

95-97 are awsome trucks, the early 94.5 and 95 had some issues which is to be expected with a first year truck. they didnt have as much power as the newer trucks due to not having a intercooler and smaller turbo. these did have some issues with under vavle cover harnesses melting and causing drivabilty problems. nothing too serious however.

98-03 ford started using intercoolers and larger turbos which intern led to more power. the early 98-99s had some issues with the torque converters making noise and havint he under vavle cover harness coming loose causeing runs rough problems. easy fix however.

03-04 6.0s have had lots of problems from turbos, injectors, EBP, ICP, IPR sensors and head gaskets seem to be the most common, it seems some have a ton and some have none. my dad has a 04 and never had an issue. again its a new year truck so its to be expected.

05-06, still have problems, replaced lots of injectors and ebp sensors on these as well. when they run they hall serious ass!!

07 soon to have 6.4 twin turbo....who knows how that one will be :banghead

I work on these every day so i do KNOW what Im talking about

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think that it is the 2002-2003 7.3L that has powered metal rods, they arn't as strong as the 99-2001. The powered metal ones are only good to around 370hp IIRC. My 99 is around 375 hp on the highest chip setting.

Just another thing to think of...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
follow dustin.
check the turbo for play, and make shure the airbox is not cracked, as that style box cracks ALL the time, and a broken box can lead to destroyed cyclinders.....

i would say run a blow by test, but im shure you dont have amaghelic gauge, and the guy who owns it would try to kill you as you run his truck at no load 3,100rpm(near red line) for 1 minute.....

has it had a clutch yet? seems like alot need them at around 125k. to be expected, but is kinda expensive due to the flywheel.....

they have problems, but every vehcile does.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Mrit said:
I think that it is the 2002-2003 7.3L that has powered metal rods, they arn't as strong as the 99-2001. The powered metal ones are only good to around 370hp IIRC. My 99 is around 375 hp on the highest chip setting.

Just another thing to think of...
unless you have aftermarket injectors a 7.3L wont see over 350 at the wheels........

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
Can't go wrong with a 7.3L. Just wish I had the ZF6 instead of the 4R100. Don't like the way it shifts.

Adrianspeeder

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
Dustin said:
shut your mouth unless you can back it up with facts.......

I work on these every day so i do KNOW what Im talking about
I do too so don't go bashing so quick. I know a bunch bout diesel i just simply made it easy for him to understand without the fact just the better ones from the bad ones. I've pulled 36 foot goose necks with the 7.3L over monteagle mountain in tennesee. Doing 64 Mph at the top. Then a buddy of mine did it in his 6.0L with the same trailer 58Mph over the top. Now don't get me wrong the 6.0L is a good engine and racing can whup the 7.3L any day for speed but not pulling (In My personal Not yours too just my opinion!:toothless

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
all i ask is you back up your statments, you were a bit vague which is like saying they something just sucks without stating the facts.

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
Dustin said:
all i ask is you back up your statments, you were a bit vague which is like saying they something just sucks without stating the facts.
That's cool just don't rip me a new one when it comes to diesel i work on em too, and in truth there a love. Now how about the early 6.0L having double spray pulses on the injector that was a fault that was cured with reproramming but a major problem if i'm thinking correctly

1 - 20 of 41 Posts