Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying a clean 08 F350 4x4 with a 5.4L in it. 130k on the clock. Other than the spark plug issue that should have been phased out by 08, is there anything to look out for especially? Cam phasers I believe were fixed a couple years prior to 08.

White, XL trim, single cab long bed. Lockouts and a gooseneck ball.

Best thing of all is it's a SIX SPEED MANUAL! :rockon

I've driven a 5.4 in a couple f150s and a 99 f250, so I know they arent super quick. But they get the job done just fine. I mean, I am driving an e250 with a 4.2 v6 right now...

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,438 Posts
My 5.4L has never let me down. And it's an Auto. The spark plug issue really is not a big deal once you get over the scared factor of breaking them. :thumbup

Get a MPT SCT tuner and add their towing tune. you will not regret it.

28ft trailer and Bronco towed up to PA from VA and back. Up and down hills and mountains. No OD and she got the job done.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The C.O.P.s are across all modular motors. I had zero issues replacing the ones on my 03 4.6dohc. In fact, of I get this, I'll do what I did to the 4.6: hot coils and e3 plugs. Picked up 1.5 mpg with this in the mustang. 20 to 21+ mpgs. Managed 23 a few times, especially after the tuner (see below)

I've got an SCT x4 tuner, married to the DOHC. Even now, it's running the data/gauges on my 4.2 v6 in the van. All Id have to do is charge the mustang battery, plug it in, and divorce it.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,409 Posts
The C.O.P.s are across all modular motors.

Now that I think of it, the bad coil I had was on my 2007 4.6 F150 - the 2009 F150 FX4 I had with the 5.4 had no problems and that thing was quick and powerful.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gave the guy a call. He's an old junkyard owner. Was a chatty guy, was on the phone for 15 minutes!

Was very honest about the truck. Noted the two dents and torn seat and crack in the windshield. New clutch and battery.

It does have a different engine than it came from the factory with. It came from a wrecked 08 f350. Said the "new" 5.4 is very quiet, meaning no lifter or timing chain noise like the mods are famous for. I'm guessing the replacement motor is why it's so cheap. Didnt have any idea on the milage for the motor, but if it's quiet, it should be good.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,558 Posts
I would avoid it and get a 6.8L V-10, no cam phaser to worry about, just throw on a set of headers as the factory ones end up
being problematic.

While the 2V 5.4 is a good engine, I would avoid the 3V 5.4 because:

1) Cam rides on aluminum surfaces instead of bearings
2) Cam phasers-Lunati has a lockout kit but you lose power.
3) Chain tensioners
4) Two Piece spark plugs breaking
5) Neighbor has a expedition (Someone else does the work on it) that has (3) 3V 5.4 engines replaced and he got rid of it. Even a crate 5.4 engine hoping to avoid problems and it still blew and needed work on the heads and spark plugs. Now has a Lexus version of the Toyota HHR for the wife to drive.

I truly believe the 3V 5.4 is one of the worst engines ever made and I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Personally I would hold out for a v10, or get a 7.3 or even 6.0 if you are comfortable fixing the know issues. I’ve never played with a mod motor that new, but I’ve never really had much issue with the older 2v 4.6/5.4’s. The only 5.4 super duty I’ve messed with was at one of my old jobs, it was an absolute dog, but it was an auto with 3.07 gears. So zf6 and 4.10’s might move decent

Yes to an SCT if you do it. My 7.3 and Crown Vic both have an SCT, as well as everything I have built for someone else unless they specifically ask for a different chip/tuner

What is he asking for that truck if you don’t mind saying?

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would avoid it and get a 6.8L V-10, no cam phaser to worry about, just throw on a set of headers as the factory ones end up
being problematic.

While the 2V 5.4 is a good engine, I would avoid the 3V 5.4 because:

1) Cam rides on aluminum surfaces instead of bearings
2) Cam phasers-Lunati has a lockout kit but you lose power.
3) Chain tensioners
4) Two Piece spark plugs breaking
5) Neighbor has a expedition (Someone else does the work on it) that has (3) 3V 5.4 engines replaced and he got rid of it. Even a crate 5.4 engine hoping to avoid problems and it still blew and needed work on the heads and spark plugs. Now has a Lexus version of the Toyota HHR for the wife to drive.

I truly believe the 3V 5.4 is one of the worst engines ever made and I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.
Appreciate the input.

If the 5.4 sheets a brick, I've got the 4.6 dohc waiting in the wings :rofl: swap out the cams and it'd be a great truck engine. Not afraid of spark plugs breaking, as most likely it's been revised, being an 08. If not, I know how to run an extractor and tap.

All 3 of the 5.4s I've had experience with have been good. Im still planning on looking at this truck, as its only $6500.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally I would hold out for a v10, or get a 7.3 or even 6.0 if you are comfortable fixing the know issues. I’ve never played with a mod motor that new, but I’ve never really had much issue with the older 2v 4.6/5.4’s. The only 5.4 super duty I’ve messed with was at one of my old jobs, it was an absolute dog, but it was an auto with 3.07 gears. So zf6 and 4.10’s might move decent

Yes to an SCT if you do it. My 7.3 and Crown Vic both have an SCT, as well as everything I have built for someone else unless they specifically ask for a different chip/tuner

What is he asking for that truck if you don’t mind saying?
Yeah, it's a zf6 and has positrac, so probably 3.73 or 4.10.

The tuner will definitely be done.

I learned to drive in a 99 f250 with a 5.4 and auto. I didnt think it was a dog, until I compared it to the brand new 6.0 my dad replaced it with. I dont expect a truck to be fast. Because I had a mustang, no truck that isn't 600hp is gonna be faster. I cant afford 600 hp lol!

Asking 6500

·
In Front of Jopes
3,558 Posts
Yeah, it's a zf6 and has positrac, so probably 3.73 or 4.10.

The tuner will definitely be done.

I learned to drive in a 99 f250 with a 5.4 and auto. I didnt think it was a dog, until I compared it to the brand new 6.0 my dad replaced it with. I dont expect a truck to be fast. Because I had a mustang, no truck that isn't 600hp is gonna be faster. I cant afford 600 hp lol!

Asking 6500
You don't need a truck to be fast, just drive like those rednecks in Christmas Vacation:goodfinge

Attachments

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
Don't bet the farm the cam phaser problem is fixed--friends of mine had a '10 F150, religiously maintained it at the local Ford dealer, and at 70+K original miles, one or both dropped out, right when it was rolled out after an oil change. The dealer vehemently denied fault (turned out that they were selling the dealership so I theorized that denial was to keep certain financial items off their books), and in having been dealt this blow, they had to give the truck up to the finance company. On the other hand, my BIL has a '10, same engine, and knock on wood, it'll continue for many more years without mishap.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
My son has a 2007 F150 with the 5.4. Look at the fuel pump controller, his was in the back above the spare. Literally fell apart in his hand when he took it out. Midwest salt and snow had caused to thing to basically rot away under the rear of the truck, made of aluminium. Caused the truck to die due to no fuel.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,558 Posts
My son has a 2007 F150 with the 5.4. Look at the fuel pump controller, his was in the back above the spare. Literally fell apart in his hand when he took it out. Midwest salt and snow had caused to thing to basically rot away under the rear of the truck, made of aluminium. Caused the truck to die due to no fuel.
I seen it happen at a tire shop I worked at a long time ago. 2007 F-150 brought in warm bay as it was cold outside. Changed oil and filter. Wouldn't start and it turned out to be the fuel pump module as it cracked due to the rapid change in temperature. That's the fuel pump module you're describing.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The truck is from Oklahoma, so corrosion should be limited. I'll check out the fpm

I had only read that Ford fixed the cam phasers issue a couple years prior. But you cant believe everything you read lol.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,438 Posts
Appreciate the input.

If the 5.4 sheets a brick, I've got the 4.6 dohc waiting in the wings :rofl: swap out the cams and it'd be a great truck engine. Not afraid of spark plugs breaking, as most likely it's been revised, being an 08. If not, I know how to run an extractor and tap.

All 3 of the 5.4s I've had experience with have been good. Im still planning on looking at this truck, as its only $6500.
Sounds risky but has always worked. I had a ford mechanic tell me to take the plugs out with an impact. He hasn't had one break since he has been doing this. I havent had any troubles doing it this way either. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 81 Posts