Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a newer truck, if money was growing in trees, I'd get a Super Duty with the 6.7 in a heartbeat and install a dual bosch CP3/CP4 fuel pump setup.

My question is what is the real world combined MPG of the below:

A) 2011-2014 Super Duty Super Cab with the 6.2 gasser in 4x4 with Automatic Trans
B) 2012-2013 F-150 Supercrew Coyote 5.0 4x4 Automatic Trans, also at what mileage does the timing chain need to be replaced?

I feel like the extended cab F-150s are short of interior room in the back, and the Super Duty extended cab seems to have more room, and I can still carry a 4"X8" sheet of plywood or sheetrock. I would prefer a supercrew with the 6.5' bed but those are harder to find than the 5.5' bed, but I would eventually upgade to a newer F-150 with the 6.5' bed or a Super Duty diesel when I can afford a 6.7.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,862 Posts
B. Father has one bought new in 2012. Averages 19-22, Only has a cai and cat back setup on it, right around 65k miles. Has needed a water pump, tires, battery so far and that is it. 5.0, supercrew, 6.5 bed.

The coyote actually has 2 timing chains. 1 for each head. Though I do not know at what point they should be replaced. I do know the weak spot on those motors is the oil pump gears and lower timing chain sprokets. They are powedered metal from factory and have been known to fail, mostly in higher rpm mustang applications though, have not seen this posted about a lot relative to f-150.

Do not have any personal experience with option A, only that a friend has one and they have said 15/16, however absolutely no issues towing anything. I have not spend much time in that truck to verify it myself though

·
Premium Member
1987 Bronco 351W, C6
1,212 Posts
Do alot of towing that would require a SD diesel? They have some maintenance costs I'd rather not pay unless I really needed a diesel. That and for some reason diesel is more expensive anyways.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do alot of towing that would require a SD diesel? They have some maintenance costs I'd rather not pay unless I really needed a diesel. That and for some reason diesel is more expensive anyways.
I was looking at the 6.2. Yes I would be towing campers and stuff on the side if I had it.

I hate to stay it, I am not a GM fan but I am thinking about a 2013 Chevy extended cab, has more room in the back and looks better than the F-150 extended cab. I like the 2015s and up better for the F-150s. I think pushrods are better and I don't have to deal with spending $2,000 to have the timing chains replaced and the gears and oil pump upgraded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts